Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

Chestnut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

First time seeing and photographing the local Vintage Grand Prix... also the first outing with my D800E!
Definitely appreciate any comments and inputs!

D8S_0547 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr

D8S_0700 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr

D8S_0387 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr

And with a little fun with post processing...

D8S_0612 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr

A slightly newer model -

D8S_0474 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:12 AM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

well the camera seems to have done well

the key to these kinds of images i to get the shutter speed slow enough to blur the tires and give a perception of speed also thru some creative panning. give it a try next time and have fun. I see number 2 here is the best of the set

J

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #3 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

jmcfadden wrote:
well the camera seems to have done well

the key to these kinds of images i to get the shutter speed slow enough to blur the tires and give a perception of speed also thru some creative panning. give it a try next time and have fun

J

Yeah, tried that on #2 and #4... Driver slammed on the brakes on #4, so it's less apparent, since the rear wheel was no longer spinning.

I believe I was on 1/100s on #2, and 1/80s on #4... should I try lower speeds? What settings would you recommend?

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:49 PM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #4 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

Like to see the results from the GoPro's.

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:11 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #5 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

Nice photos, great job catching the wheel liftoffs.

I happens I was at the same event; took a different approach however. I wandered around taking closeups of the cars on display (50 mm, D7000). Here are a few

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

Chestnut wrote:
Yeah, tried that on #2 and #4... Driver slammed on the brakes on #4, so it's less apparent, since the rear wheel was no longer spinning.

I believe I was on 1/100s on #2, and 1/80s on #4... should I try lower speeds? What settings would you recommend?

Thanks!

Actually if you had fun I think that is the most important thing! , The beauty of digital is the ability to learn immediately from the greatest teacher of all: Failure Once i get tired of all the normal type shots i start trying any and everything: tilting the camera can do neat things, panning, getting lower or higher for a change in perspective, slower shutter for even more creative blur, dragging shutter and banging light with a flash. Just to name a few!

J

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:21 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #7 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

J,
Definitely had lots of fun!
Taking pics of cars (moving) is a first for me... and so is panning! It was great being able to just see on the LCD what worked and what didn't, and keep playing around with it. You're most certainly right, failure is just the path to success! The more you learn what not to do, the more you can figure out what you can/should do! My wife is new to photography and she is doing the same Thank goodness for digital... when I first got into photography (self-taught), the number of rolls of film and the cost for processing all of them for experimenting ran me up a wall! So great to be able to see on the back of the camera and hit the delete button when experimenting!!!

MalbikEndar, nice photos! I didn't walk around too much, just stayed at one corner with my wife and a couple of friends. Next year, maybe I'll go around some more

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:43 PM
gman1339
• • • •
p.1 #8 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

Ah, the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. I was there with my old D700 and D300. I had the D800, but it went back as a return a few weeks ago with the defected left side focusing.

Jul 29, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #9 · First Vintage Grand Prix!

gman1339 wrote:
Ah, the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. I was there with my old D700 and D300. I had the D800, but it went back as a return a few weeks ago with the defected left side focusing.

Yeah, I have the left-side focusing issue too.. but I'm waiting to see if there is a "recall" before I send it in on my dime. It's enough of an issue that Nikon really should be more responsible about it.

I just kept using center to right-of-center AF points.

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:58 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password