Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

matthewbmedia
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

I have always preferred pearl finish papers (exhibition fiber, HFA pearl, etc) - but recently switched my 3880 over to matte black ink to see what I can get out of the matte paper world. Since I am generally printing more vivid artwork and starting to mat this artwork, my pearl prints aren't really fitting in with the matte/glass/frame combo and I am on the hunt for a good deep matte paper.

Wow the epson hot press bright paper is AMAZING - the depth and vividness of color makes other papers look like prints from a kinkos... But I need an alternative to this epson hot press bright with simiilar dynamic range -

2 reasons:
1. On the 3880 it must be fed manually one sheet at a time - (this is a dealbreaker for my workflow)
2. Obviously cost (but not a major reason).

I've tried Red river polar matte and aurora bright - but haven't been able to get even close to the epson (probably 15% less saturation/depth).

Has anyone found a matte paper they like that is thinner than the epson so it can go through the sheet feeder?

Edited on Jul 23, 2012 at 05:47 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:44 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

you may want to try the Canson Rag Photographique, it comes in 210 and 310 weights.

They make a 'Discovery' (sample) pack of all their papers.

Have you tried Epson Velvet Fine Art?

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

Hahnemühle Photo Rag is very very similar to Hot Press Bright. It's slightly thicker but has virtually an identical surface and a similar but not exactly the same white point. I printed an entire show for an up and coming L.A. photographer on the Epson paper - at her request - and we had to make one larger print for the show and I had some of the Hahnemühle around. When you put the two side by side, it was amazing at just how close the two were.

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:06 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

Thanks Howard - I have used the velvet fine art - and it is awesome - but also needs to be fed manually on the 3880.

Peter - Have you noticed a similar black point with the Photo rag? I assume the white point is a little less bright which wouldn't be a big deal.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:46 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

I just dug up the measurement files for both on a 9900 Epson. The Epson HPB black measures 16.1 L while the Hahnemühle Photo Rag is 17.1 L, both measured with the same Gretag Spectrolino T with the UV filter in place. So while there is technically a difference, it's very very slight, and you're not like to ever see it in print.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

Here's a ColorThink 3D rendering of the respective gamut maps. There's a very slight overall edge to HPB, which is the wireframe, but they're so close that you'd never see the difference in the real world.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:36 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

Thanks Peter - that's awesome - I think I'll be stuck looking for another option based on the thickness of the Photo Rag - but since I love the fine art pearl so much my curiosity is going to get the best of me for a few sample prints.

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

I use a lot of Fine Art Pearl myself. Love that paper.

Jul 24, 2012 at 08:00 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alternative to epson hot press bright?

Bump

Jul 27, 2012 at 07:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password