FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

3iron
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

vsg28: Thanks for your reply. There are no photo stores within 200 miles of here so trying one is not going to work for me. I have to look at it through your eyes. That's a big help and I do appreciate your information.
Best wishes.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:15 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

No problem, give Tim a call (832-531-9421) and ask him if he has tested it out on heavier lenses. But like Andy said, I would not hang a mega lens onto any neck/shoulder/hand strap.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:29 PM
3iron
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

andy: sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for. I do want a way to carry the camera with the 300 and a D size Canon in the field. For wildlife, I need the camera accessable quickly but must be able to carry it safely.
I am guessing you carry your camera mounted ont your monopod, balanced over your shoulder, would that be correct?
I am new to this lens so have not yet tried any good method of carry other than by hand which, of course, is not going to work.
I would value the thoughts of anyone here.
Thanks and best wishes.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I'm glad this thread is getting lots of feedback in here. I'm all for supporting the underdog company, especially when they make a good product

I might pick up that new mount one of these days. Now all we need is come one to test how it works with the arca swiss plate (or whatever it was). I've never used one of those before mounting plates before, they look like they would work well.

Also, VSG28 thank you for the photo contributions!

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:36 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I will be getting my Arca Swiss compatible ball head tomorrow and so can test it out then. The company has a picture of the mount on a RRS ball head I believe, and I was given the demo on the same ballhead today- seemed to work well.

I will let you guys know how well the mount works as a quick release plate.

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:36 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Ok quick word of advice: Do not tighten the mounting plate over a certain extent. The allen wrench basically carved out a circle in mine and the only way I will be able to take it out is with a big screw driver I guess (coin wasn't enough, haven't tried a screw driver yet). I know I did not over tighten as the camera was still twisting out of the body when mounted on a tripod and so I gave just a little nudge. If the screw driver does not work, I will call up Tim. I am actually ok with the plate permanently mounted on the battery grip, but this is not something I wanted.

Also, the arca-swiss design in the plate has a limit where the foldable metal ball head is: you can't stick in the plate beyond that. It still goes enough into the quick release clamp to be held securely, but in my case that was not enough to make use of the double safety features in my Induro ball head. I decided to add in my Arca-Swiss plate to the mounting plate because of this.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:20 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Update: Took like 3 seconds with a screw driver to get the mounting plate out. No harm done to any part except for the notched hole for the allen wrench. I recommend just using a coin and not the wrench ever.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:39 PM
andyz
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

3iron yes the 300 2.8 on a monopod balances perfectly on my shoulder while I swing the second body up and shoot with it. Swinging out a big lens would be cumbersome IMHO.

Vsg28, I saw no point in the wrench except to put thru the ballhead and unscrew it. My current plate attaches with a screw, straight blade. I'm not sure where to use the wrench unless your screw is different and accepts the wrench. Based on the description I assume you used the wrench on the screwhead and it stripped it out?

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

The new mounting plate accepts both a coin/screw driver as well as a wrench in the middle. The issue I had was it got stuck to the camera grip and the hole shaped for the wrench became useless.

Also, my ball head is huge (about the size of the RRS BH55) and that is probably why the Arca Swiss design on the mounting plate was not big enough. It seems to work nicely with the smalle RRS BH30 that Tim demonstrated for me.

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:08 AM
andyz
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57496891-285/diy-the-$10-gliding-camera-strap/

I don't think so.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Wow.. No way I will leave my camera dangling off a key ring.

Aug 22, 2012 at 06:00 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I think I hit my final straw with the new plate tonight. Mounted the camera on my tripod and the frigging body just moves around the plate even when the rest of it is secure on the ball head. I moved back to the previous plate which had those two notches to keep the plate in place. Just moved it around in my hands and it felt a lot better, haven't tripod mounted yet though.

I am disappointed with the new plate and am fortunate I got the older plate to keep. I will email Tim and see if he has anything to say.

Did any of you with the C3 plate experience body movement on the plate?

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

vsg28 wrote:
I think I hit my final straw with the new plate tonight. Mounted the camera on my tripod and the frigging body just moves around the plate even when the rest of it is secure on the ball head. I moved back to the previous plate which had those two notches to keep the plate in place. Just moved it around in my hands and it felt a lot better, haven't tripod mounted yet though.

I am disappointed with the new plate and am fortunate I got the older plate to keep. I will email Tim and see if he has
...Show more

That's what i was afraid of when using the new mount. It didn't look like it would stick well.

My C3 mount has NEVER moved once i mounted it properly. I just hiked up Mt Fuji and had no problems at all

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Good to hear that. I will update on what Tim has to say.

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:31 AM
andyz
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I've only used it a couple of times but the C3 version hasn't shifted. I haven't tried the newer F1 yet but I would have thought that being snug, the rubber on it to the camera would have been solid. I am not as confident about it on teh foot of my 70-200 which is bare metal, not rubberized.

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:36 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Ya, that's what I thought as well. Not so.

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:41 AM
andyz
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

The force that is exerted on the hinged ball head levers it against the bottom edge of the camera body, and it forces the plate to pivot. As I look at this in practical use, I don't want that force crushing against the camera body/battery grip.

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:58 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

You will have that force irrespective of which carry speed plate you use, I don't think that is enough to damage the camera.

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:46 PM
andyz
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

No, with the new plate the pin flips and that leverage is what moves the plate. The older plate has the ball head stationary. No leverage, no movement.

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Volks1470 wrote:
Now that this thread has recieved a lot more attention than anticipated. I guess we'll just turn it into a review/feedback thread. A progression of carry speed's product line as it evolves!

It would help if you would post the direct link on the first post of this thread.

http://www.carryspeed.com/

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.