Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Volks1470
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Now that this thread has recieved a lot more attention than anticipated. I guess we'll just turn it into a review/feedback thread. A progression of carry speed's product line as it evolves!

http://www.carryspeed.com/

Edited on Aug 25, 2012 at 05:09 AM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:29 AM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

A little update. Just got it in today. First impressions are very good! I can't give any kind of real review before using it in the field so more updates later!

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:09 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Used mine for a wedding last week for the first time. As compared to a Black Rapid I love the new connector. The action when drawing the camera is fine. I do wish it had a little more length. I also appreciate the second connection I will use on my 70-200s foot so body and lens are connected.

Jul 28, 2012 at 03:26 AM
Tiny

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I have the Carry Speed Pro and it works well. I like the connector where it attaches to the camera because it is solid, well built, and design is such that the hardware does not bang and rotate into the body. The strap fits well and comes up quick and smooth for shooting. The strap is wide, well padded, comfortable and stays in place well. Great value for the price.

Jul 28, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I'm glad there are other users with good reviews.

All those bad reviews have to be from previous versions, because the new one really is great!
I got to take it out and use it for a good while. It was comfortable throughout the whole day. It works a lot better with longer lenses, since the mount is offset to the side. I found using a 50mm f/1.4 it tended to jumble around a lot, but i think ANY strap is going to do that.

I also noticed that i can only use one tripod mount hole with my particular quick release plate. The switch on the tripod hits the ball head so the plate can't lock into place using any forward holes. I can only use the back most mounting hole.

Another interesting note. The threads on the ball head aren't exactly the right size. When threading into the camera hole it remains very loose until it's tightened down. IE, if it's halfway threaded in the hole it can jiggle around freely. I see this as a potentially stripping out if tightened too much. Only time will tell on this one.

The ball head mount reall is nice. It's sturdy and i don't see it failing any time. Like others have said, it can't swing and hit the camera body. The motion of bringing the camera up from it's holstered position is very smooth, BUT i've found that i have to wear the strap farther back. If i bring the camera up with the strap even (in the middle on my shoulder) it will hit the clip and push/rotate the strap back.

Overall. This strap is great for the price and i definitely recommend it!

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:42 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

As a follow up, I emailed the Carry Speed company and suggested they make an extension. I suggested they get strap material with a male and female end and it could add on the back of the strap being inserted where the clip already exists. They replied that they DO make an extension as I described, 12 inches for $10 and that included shipping. It arrived today. Now my camera will hang a little lower and I believe this will make access easier and more comfortable. (And the total cost is still less than replacing my old Black Rapid.)

Aug 11, 2012 at 07:13 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I am a bit confused about the mounting plate. Is this something that goes into the tripod socket of the camera, which you then connect the strap to? Is the mount plate arca swiss compatible in that if I remove the strap, can I use this on a tripod head with arca swiss type quick release?

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:20 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

The Carry Speed plate goes on the camera body or lens and has screw holes your mounting plate can then go in. So it adds a little bulk but it is solid.

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:24 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Aha, I got it. Thanks a lot. I am also considering this but saw a whole thread at DPreview about the bad points of the same version (I guess, the thread is from March, 2012):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1023&message=40832355&changemode=1

Anyone had the issues mentioned in there by any chance?

Thanks a lot!

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:34 AM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

vsg28 wrote:
Aha, I got it. Thanks a lot. I am also considering this but saw a whole thread at DPreview about the bad points of the same version (I guess, the thread is from March, 2012):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1023&message=40832355&changemode=1

Anyone had the issues mentioned in there by any chance?

Thanks a lot!

Since that review they have released a new mount and are going to release another one soon i believe. The one i own is the C3. It works well with the 5D III. Perhaps people don't understand how to mount it properly. The guy on DP Preview was complaining about how the pegs didn't extend far enough but it could have mounted farther forward. Carry speed has a video on Youtube explaining how to mount it correctly, though i didn't think it was that hard! lol

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Volks1470
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I figured i'd take some product shots for those curious about buying and a google'r who might come across this post.

CRW_0111.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

CRW_0112.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

CRW_0115.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

IMG_9068.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

IMG_9071.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

IMG_9075.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

Aug 12, 2012 at 02:46 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Very helpful pictures, thanks. Looks like this company has a history of non delivering on promised release dates so the new foldable mount plate may be a while.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:12 AM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

vsg28 wrote:
Very helpful pictures, thanks. Looks like this company has a history of non delivering on promised release dates so the new foldable mount plate may be a while.

Haha, this is very true. It still says on their website that the mount is coming in July 2012.

I'm still waiting on my battery grip to come in. I'll see if it's still usable with the C3 mount on there.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:36 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Do let us know, I got a gripped body myself.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I have seen an older style mounting plate and the one that is pictured above I believe is a new one. The one where the pin actually folds up, I don't know if that will new or was one that was replaced. Originally there was a lot of criticism over a plate that did not fit properly and I know it was replaced

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:32 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

My typing stinks first thing in the morning

The plate pictured in the review was replaced because it does not always fit properly. The plate pictured above is a new one. Videos on the Carry Speed site show both. I like the hiding hex wrench (in fits in a slot on the plate in the review) and they send the hex wrench but it doesn't hide in the new plate. In fact it isn't even needed except that it can fit through a hole on the pin so that you can use it as leverage to unscrew and retighten it if needed.

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:57 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Ok you guys convinced me on the Carry Speed, just waiting to see how it goes on a battery grip. Camera -> Battery grip -> Mounting plate -> Quick release plate/carry speed strap -> Tripod sounds like a lot of connections.

Aug 12, 2012 at 02:46 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I have had the old version for a while now. The plate mounts fine on the grip of a D7000 and D700 - no problems. I think its a good strap and I have a couple of Black Rapids to compare to which I have had for longer than the Carry Speed. The CS Pro is just more comfortable.

I don't care for mounting another universal arca-swiss compatible plate on the bottom of the CS plate. I love the ball and socket approach and the plate is fine but I do use an L bracket on my D700 pretty much all the time so the bracket has become a pain. I use an UP Strap on occasion too so....using new male quick clips I connect to the female UP strap connectors on my camera body and L bracket. I took the ball and socket connector off the Carry Speed strap, replaced it with two male quick release connectors compatible with the UP strap connectors and it slides up and down the strap just fine. Works well. I think though I'm going to go with a Kirk clamp designed to be used with a strap, put the ball on it, attach via the normal Carry Speed method and just use the UP Strap connectors as a secondary "fail safe" looping through the sling. I can attach the Kirk clamp Carry Speed to either side of the L bracket. I wrote Carry speed about a solution some time ago and all they said was wait for the new bracket. I did and its pretty much the same as the old bracket. I think the Kirk clamp enhanced system using the Carry Speed ball and socket is the best way for those needing or wanting to use an L bracket or AS compatible bottom plate. Same thing would work though with BR connectors and slide. Whew! Hope you all got that.

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:48 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Barely

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

You lost me. But I am a belt and suspenders kinda guy here. I'll have the Carry Speed on my second body when I shoot football, as an example. I also use UP Strap and I'll disconnect the strap so the quick connectors are dangling from the strap mounts. They're about 6" long so they aren't in the way. I'll often have a hand/wrist grip on the side of the body as well for comfort and security when I'm walking around with the camera in hand but not on the UP Strap. I like versatility.

I also like that CS sends the extra wrist strap and safety strap. Don't know that I'll use the wrist strap but the safety strap will go on the camera body when the mounting plate goes on the foot of my 70-200.

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password