Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · From the land of Guinness

dbyers
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · From the land of Guinness

I've recently returned from traveling Ireland and thought I'd share a couple of images. I've yet to complete my edit but have found a few worth a second look. I hope you enjoy.

St. Nicholas' Collegiate Church, Galway, Ireland.

Weathered warriors line the shore of Galway Bay. This image was made one day prior to the arival of the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway.

My first proper pint of Guinness, Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:16 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · From the land of Guinness

Not sure why no one has commented so far.
And looks like a great trip and a nice serving for you and us.
For the first, I'd personally prefer a hint of detail in the shadows.
Love the subject, detail, textures, alignment of the boats in the second. I'd back off on the burning on top. I think its too noticeable and probably not needed since you already have a tightly cropped foreground subject and vertical framing of the distant buildings. This is my favorite of the three.
I like the contrast, action, expression in the third.
Scott

Jul 25, 2012 at 01:11 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · From the land of Guinness

Darrell- I really like all three basic images; the last being my favorite because of the people element.
The edges of the first two detract IMO from good documentary shooting, but that's become the thing to do in some circles. My documentary circle is actually square .
Charlie

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:50 AM
lazlo369
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · From the land of Guinness

My favorite is the second one. Those old boats are there just for picture taking

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dbyers
• •
p.1 #5 · From the land of Guinness

Thank you all. To address a couple of points, the top image was really very noisy so I took the easy out and took it way down. The second image looks much darker here than on my machine, which I've also run into with other images lately. I think it's time to recalibrate. I like the third image, makes me want a pint which means it is an effective imag. Ha! Charlie, I understand what you mean, I've been at this 30 years, burning edges in the darkroom and now in photoshop. While digital is easer, sometimes I still overdo it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:03 AM
mamankyle
• • •
p.1 #6 · From the land of Guinness

#3!
I love Guinness.
Greg

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:10 PM
azbill
• •
p.1 #7 · From the land of Guinness

All three are very nice, with #2 being my favorite.
I've had "a few" pints at Temple Bar myself! Did you make it to The Quays in Galway? Galway is a fantastic town.
Thanks for sharing.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM
dbyers
• •
p.1 #8 · From the land of Guinness

We had two half days in Galway; the evening when we arrived it was cold and raining hard. The following morning broke clear and beautiful so we spent it shopping and exploring, mostly around the docks since the Volvo Ocean Race was coming in the following day. We left mid-day for Kylemore Abby so no time for pints, unfortunately. Shame, The Quays looks like a fine pub.

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password