FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Mitch W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Shot my first wedding yesterday with the 5D Mark III. Love the camera... it's magic. I shot dual slots - RAW to my CF card and JPEG to the SDXC card, the latter just so I could throw some quick jpegs up on facebook.

Currently working with LR3, but had LR4 in the wings ready to be installed since I knew LR3 did not support the 5DIII. Long story short - my older macbook (OS 10.5.8) will not support either SDXC card reading or LR4. So it looks like the 5D3, which I received just 3 days ago, is forcing me to upgrade my entire system. Yes, I knew I would be upgrading everything in the relative near future... but effin' f!! This was poor planning on my part, but I hadn't foreseen this being an issue. I hate 20/20 hindsight.

Jul 22, 2012 at 09:39 AM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Ouch. That just might leave a mark.

Andrew

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM
jejphotobug

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Will a new card reader do the trick before investing in a new system (if now is not a good time to do so)? This way you can download the files and use LR 3.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Now is as good a time as any to upgrade MBPs. Consider a refurbished last gen rather than the retina models, or check craigslist for some sure fire deals.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Yup, if you're going to go Mac, go refurb if you can.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Used is just as good. My last 2 work macs I have gotten used from craigslist. Just watch CL for a few days and you are bound to find a solid deal, if you are feeling adventurous. Then again, I buy everything used on craigslist!

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Why not use Adobe DNG converter? It's free and can convert your RAW files to something LR3 can read. This is what people were doing before even Lightroom 4 supported CR2 files from a 5D3

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:38 PM
WalnutPond
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

I'm not getting this. You can get an adapter for the card, and do a DNG conversion as noted, so you don't really HAVE to update, but it sounds like a good idea if you can swing it.

I'll also recommend mac store refurbs - if the price is right you get a computer that looks brand new and can even have upgrades beyond what you paid for (larger hard drive, more memory, etc) sometimes.

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:56 PM
MarcAnthony
• • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

dhp_sf wrote:
Why not use Adobe DNG converter? It's free and can convert your RAW files to something LR3 can read. This is what people were doing before even Lightroom 4 supported CR2 files from a 5D3

Agree 100%.

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:56 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Problem with dng files is they get written to like a jpeg instead of having separate sidecar files. So everytime you edit them there is that chance it will get corrupted and the whole file is affected.

Jul 22, 2012 at 07:42 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

By default, all SDXC cards come formatted with a proprietary Microsoft file system called "exFAT". Apple didn't start buying exFAT licenses from Microsoft until MacOS 10.6.5, so older Macs don't have exFAT drivers.

SDXC cards are relatively rare. I don't think any manufacturer sells SDXC cards that are smaller than 64GB, and not all big SD cards are SDXC. If you gotta use SDXC cards, you can either re-format them to the more common FAT32 standard, upgrade to a newer version of MacOS, or use a Windows computer.

But, you're using your SD cards for JPEG backups only, right? Do you really need more than 32GB for the JPEGs from one wedding?

Jul 22, 2012 at 09:05 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

32gb cards will solve the biggest problem there.

Jul 22, 2012 at 09:31 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I Hate 20/20 Hindsight

Appreciate the comments and feedback.

Why not use the DNG converter? Because I'm an idiot, apparently! This sounds like the perfect short term ticket... I'm going to look into it today. Would love to NOT have to purchase a new computer this week. But when I do I am totally looking into refurbed, as suggested here.

I really didn't know the SDXC format was less common. Saw it on Amazon with lots of good reviews at a good price so bought it. I got the 64GB card because the intent is to shoot RAW files to it for backup. But for this case, since I didn't have LR4 loaded yet, I thought I would just shoot JPEG so I could get some pics posted quick to FB. Not.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:02 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.