Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

ljbigthumb

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

whats up fellow photographers,
Its been awhile since i posted a photo(s). so here are two awesome photos.
enjoy the photos.

-Lionel

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/391610_396431857080538_605497459_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/481054_394972073893183_154183530_n.jpg

Jul 22, 2012 at 07:59 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

Regardless of how good they are, I find it is strange how you give yourself a strong personal accolade by describing them as "awesome." Most people who share photos here are open to feedback from the community, and looking for ways to improve their work. When you start by saying that your work is already a 10 out of 10, I think people will shy away from giving truthful feedback that is beneficial for growth as a photographer.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM
ljbigthumb

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

@ ben horne - nothing strange about taking pride in your work. these two photos are "awesome", dont see anyone else with the same composition.
i never stated I wasn't open to feedback and if I wasn't I wouldn't have shared.
so give me some feedback and stop busting my chops because I have pride in my work.

respectfully,
-lionel

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM
OneLightStand

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

Ben Horne wrote:
Regardless of how good they are, I find it is strange how you give yourself a strong personal accolade by describing them as "awesome." Most people who share photos here are open to feedback from the community, and looking for ways to improve their work. When you start by saying that your work is already a 10 out of 10, I think people will shy away from giving truthful feedback that is beneficial for growth as a photographer.

Well then, give him some feedback as opposed to meaningless drivel based on your interpretation of his upbeat introduction...

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

Hey Lionel,

Cool stuff here. #1 looks pretty cool, you painted that just right. It looks like the color is frssh paint and it's dripping along the rock.

With #2, I really like what you were going for, and that is definitely a compositiion that I have never seen before. 2 things, 1st, I would use a layer mask and try to get rid of that triangle of light in the lower left. That sticks out. Then the other is the sky is too dark in that one. To light paint like you did is pretty intricate. So I think I would take a shot where you had gotten the light painting pretty good like this, and then I would have made sure I had taken a shot just for the stars. Then with the Layer Mask, I would combine the two.

Keep it up, if you look through here at all, you will see lot's of star shots. It's like it's a Summer of Stars in here.

Jim

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

I like them both, but they both seem a tad soft.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

OneLightStand wrote:
Well then, give him some feedback as opposed to meaningless drivel based on your interpretation of his upbeat introduction...

I opted not to give any feedback because the initial post did not seem receptive to my meaningless drivel.

Jul 22, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

ljbigthumb wrote:
@ ben horne - nothing strange about taking pride in your work. these two photos are "awesome", dont see anyone else with the same composition.
i never stated I wasn't open to feedback and if I wasn't I wouldn't have shared.
so give me some feedback and stop busting my chops because I have pride in my work.

respectfully,
-lionel

Doing something different for the sake of being different doesn't necessarily make something awesome. As photographers, we must be our own worst critics, so sharing your work on a forum and telling other people the images are awesome is much like giving someone a gift, and saying "You're Welcome!" before they have a chance to react.

Jul 22, 2012 at 01:30 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

The photos look 'muddy' on my screen to me. Kinda resembles jpg compression. MacBook Pro retina. Cool ideas tho.

Jul 22, 2012 at 01:58 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

I like Lionel's work. The first one is really neat and would love to be able to make one similar and call it my creation.

I just hope we do not make this forum like DPR, where everyone who visits there seems to have a chip on their shoulder.

Jul 22, 2012 at 02:23 PM
river rover
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

I like the concept, but have a couple ideas on execution. The lighting on the first feels a little flat as though shot with the light too close to the lens. Have you tried a vertical comp of this? The horizontal format seems to compete with the vertical lines of the slot.

Really Like the second but the interior of the jeep is overlit to the point that the night sky is completely overwhelmed. My eyes keep getting pulled down to the white interior.

The cool thing is both of these are controlled lighting environments that'll allow continued experimentation! Looking forward to more.

Jul 22, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Nigel Turner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

Well personally I think the images are hideous, and for you to say in your title that they are awesome speaks volumes on your own self belief. If I were you I'd take a big step back and start again.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:16 PM
teuchter

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

I like the idea of the first shot, but I look at it and wonder how to get just a little more sky and how to tone down the light painting that so overwhelms the stars.
The second shot looks like fun and probably one for your personal collection, but I can't imagine ever wanting to go and look at it again unless it was my vehicle.
C

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

ljbigthumb wrote:

respectfully,
-lionel

If they are awesome, you'll hear from us concerning our sense of awe. ;-)

That is quite different from having pride in your work. I have pride in my work, partly because I believe it can speak for itself.

Take care,

Dan

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:05 PM
cohenxa
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

Great idea. Execution is nice. While different from what is usually seen from there. Seems like a lot of person would be envious as you have this spot almost for yourself (as a guide) :-)

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:08 PM
jtangen
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

Really like the idea of the light painting at night. Last year when I when thru Lower Antelope and Peek a Boo in Utah I thought I would try this my next trip back. Do you allow folks in Lower Antelope at night?

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:19 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

I like the first one. With the second, I do not enjoy the idea of driving a car into the canyon - but probably you do, as it is your property.
These shots are definitely unique as Canyon at night is off limits for most of us.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Edward Mendes

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

I enjoy the first image a lot. Nice.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:46 PM
dave.b.smith

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

Just to add my two pence worth - just because no one else has a similar composition it certainly doesn't make these images awesome, does it? Unique maybe, but not awesome.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:29 AM
ljbigthumb

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · upper antelope canyon - light painting

As an artist, I'm going to stick with awesome.

"It's not about the camera, it's about whose behind it" -unknown

Thanks to all for coming by and taking a look at my art, my work.
And thanks for the feedback.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.