Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Post Processing on a Budget

CorwinGraves
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Post Processing on a Budget

Hello All -

Been shooting on and off for several years and recently bought a 5Dc to get back into the swing of things. I've always received unsolicited positive feedback from friends and family on my photos, though at this time it's strictly a hobby for me. Although I don't sell my prints, it's important that they look their best, and part of this has to do with post processing.

Right now I'm using PS6 and a Dell Studio laptop for photo editing, though I understand that using a laptop for PP probably isn't the best solution. In searching through various threads for PC and monitor recommendations, I've learned that a decent monitor can easily go for $1k, which just isn't in the budget right now, particularly since I'm not selling my images. It's not that I absolutely couldn't swing it, but it just doesn't seem practical.

So, I'm left wondering how best to proceed. Should I continue editing on my laptop or is there a budget friendly solution that would allow me to pick up a decent PC and monitor. I'm obviously less concerned about the PC portion, since prices are hard to beat these days, but I'm finding that a good monitor and calibration system can get expensive.

I appreciate your help in advance.

Corwin

Jul 21, 2012 at 08:03 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #2 · Post Processing on a Budget

A decent monitor goes for far, far less than $1000.

A great, current monitor goes for around that much (or more), but if you don't need a huge gamut and an extreme level of accuracy, you can spend a lot less money.

In fact, if you know where to shop, you can even buy a really good one for a couple hundred bucks. NEC offers very low pricing on their refurbished professional displays. The entry-level, 22" P221W can be had for $300. If you've got a little more to spend, you can step up to the 24" LCD2490 for $349.

Jul 22, 2012 at 02:12 AM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #3 · Post Processing on a Budget

Thanks for the reply and suggestion for a more affordable monitor. Would you happen to know where I could pick up one of these lower priced NEC monitors?

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:18 PM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #4 · Post Processing on a Budget

Try checking b&h . Sometimes their price is cheaper than amazon. I got mine (nec multisync 2490wuxi2) from b&h before.

Edited: I forgot to mention, Some of the NEC monitors have a calibrator included (MDSVSENSOR NEC Custom Calibrated for Wide-Gamut Display by x-rite).

Edited on Jul 26, 2012 at 02:40 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:24 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #5 · Post Processing on a Budget

Thanks everyone.

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Post Processing on a Budget

Once you've picked up the monitor, a good calibrator should be the next step. Again, it doesn't need to be the top of the line.

Jul 26, 2012 at 02:21 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Post Processing on a Budget

Color calibrating your notebook or a new monitor is critical. Make sure you put a couple of hundred dollars into a calibration system. Even the more expensive monitors can be picked up as mfg refurbs for a reasonable price. If you think you are going to be doing photography for a while, this is an investment that can last years. Good luck.

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:06 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #8 · Post Processing on a Budget

Thanks again everyone. Since we're on the topic, what should I be looking for in a new PC tower? Obviously I want something that can meet the demands of PS7 and something with a large hard drive for storage, but what else is there. Buying a tower seems to be less involved, unless I'm mistaken.

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:21 PM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #9 · Post Processing on a Budget

You can get a Dell computer. I have the xps7000 i7 2.93gHz 12gb RAM but they don't sell that model anymore. They have the xps8500. You can customized if you want. I change my video card from 8gb to 12gb for faster processing in LR/PS. If you know how to change the video card its better to buy it from amazon than upgrading it from dell because its cheaper. If not, just customize the desktop. Good luck.

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/xps-8500/pd?refid=xps-8500&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch&isredir=true

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Post Processing on a Budget

I have a Dell that rocks. Also the Dell ultrasharps are great and affordable.

Jul 27, 2012 at 07:40 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password