New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New backup plan

david debalko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New backup plan

I have had some problems lately with external hard drives so now I am considering using external hard drives along with another backup service such as Carbonite or crash plan. Can anyone tell me about either of these plans, it seems as though they will handle nikon NEF files, is it slow to back up-although it seems like it would not matter. I use macs and it seems like carbonates basic plan is the only one that is compatible, but it seems like the basic plan would be good for me

Jul 21, 2012 at 07:51 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New backup plan

what was your problem, you may just repeat the problem next time but on line if your back up methods were not the best.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New backup plan

I've been using Crashplan for about a month. It works fine on a Mac. In fact, I have the family plan and use it both on the Mac OS and Windows 7. The initial backup can be prolonged depending on how much data you have to backup. I now have a total of 48 Gb of data backed up. Crashplan is totally in the background. I never have to remember to activate it, and it sends me a report showing me the status of the backup.

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:54 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New backup plan

I used to do exactly what you are considering. It works well if you have a relatively small amount of data, as Dan does. I used to have Mozy and it was fine, however they changed their pricing to get rid of home users like us. My cost would have gone from $5 to $30 per month.

I have about 350 GB and it would take me 2-3 months to do the initial backup with a new vendor. Upload speeds are limited with the home plans. After that keeping up would not be a problem.

Now I just have 2 external backup drives. One on the system for real time backup and another in a safe deposit box. I swap them periodically.

Jul 22, 2012 at 02:02 PM
ErikZandboer

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New backup plan

I have started to use Crashplan as well recently, although I already had two NAS systems running syncing each other. "Not loosing data" is harder than you think in some scenarios like fire, lightning or flood.

I wrote two blogposts on this subject which may be of interest:

Negative Archiving in the Digital Age Part 1
Negative Archiving in the Digital Age Part 2

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:17 AM
Gregory Edge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New backup plan

I used to use Mozy but the software was buggy and when running it slowed my system down noticeably. I switched to CrashPlan about 2 years ago. I have been very happy. I have a family plan and have 1.5TB on my computer and 1TB on my wife's computer backed up to it. It did take a couple months to back all of it up. But since this is my "in case I lose everything" backup I am ok with it. At first I did the most important files and when that was done I did the rest. Now it just automatically runs in the background and I do not notice any system slowing. I even tested the restore and it worked. For a major loss it will obviously take time. Since download is faster than upload it will be days maybe a week or 2 but certainly not months. I could also order DVDs of my data, I think.

I run Macs. Mine is a Mac Pro and the wife's is an iMac. I also have a MacBook Pro but I do not back that up as I really have nothing I can't replace on it.

Jul 24, 2012 at 06:59 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New backup plan

any updates on this? i've been using crashplan+ but it crashes and resets itself constantly, support is horrible and I've never gotten through my initial 1.4TB seeding. A couple days ago it said 175GB remaining and the next day it said 10MB remaining! I called them and got no callback or email. Today it says Destination unavailable - not authorized.

There are several reports online of folks who got emails that their backup image was corrupted and that all their data was lost. (http://jeffreydonenfeld.com/blog/2011/12/crashplan-online-backup-lost-my-entire-backup-archive/) for instance.

I tried carbonite but it was a joke. Would have taken 6-8 months for the initial seeding.

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:37 AM
DPC1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New backup plan

jzucker wrote:
any updates on this? i've been using crashplan+ but it crashes and resets itself constantly, support is horrible and I've never gotten through my initial 1.4TB seeding. A couple days ago it said 175GB remaining and the next day it said 10MB remaining! I called them and got no callback or email. Today it says Destination unavailable - not authorized.

There are several reports online of folks who got emails that their backup image was corrupted and that all their data was lost. (http://jeffreydonenfeld.com/blog/2011/12/crashplan-online-backup-lost-my-entire-backup-archive/) for instance.

I tried carbonite but it was a joke. Would have taken 6-8 months for the initial
...Show more

I found this post thanks to Google while investigating my "Destination unavailable - not authorized" issue. Because of this error my CrashPlan backup had NOT been running for a few weeks resulting in a 200+GB backlog! yikes!!!

As mentioned (at the very "END") in the blog post that you referenced (http://jeffreydonenfeld.com/blog/2011/12/crashplan-online-backup-lost-my-entire-backup-archive/) I also had to update my CrashPlan config file and bump up the memory settings from the default: -Xmx512m to -Xmx4096

I'm posting the step-by-step (for Windows) in-case anyone else comes here because of their google search for the same "Destination unavailable - not authorized" issue:

1) Stop the backup engine: http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/how_to/stop_and_start_engine

2) Locate the Notepad program, right-click and Launch as Administrator

3) Go to File > Open, and navigate to C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\CrashPlanService.ini (note that you will have to change the option from .txt files to all files in the file selection screen in order to see the CrashPlanService.ini)

4) Find the following line in the file:

-Xmx512m

5- Edit to something larger such as 768, 896, or 1024. E.g.: 4096

-Xmx4096m

This sets the maximum amount of memory that CrashPlan can use. CrashPlan will not use that much until it needs it. I would recommend starting out setting it to 768, and go higher only if you continue experiencing problems. You can set it as high as 2048 on 32-bit systems, or even higher on 64-bit systems.

6) Start the backup engine.

Very frustrating! Just curious... are you still using CrashPlan or have you found an alternative?

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New backup plan

YIKES, you're allocating 4GB of memory to crashplan. Seems pretty huge though I've had to bump mine up recently to 2GB. In the long run, this is not sustainable. I hope they fix this issue.

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:47 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New backup plan

and yes, i'm still using crashplan. Originally, I bumped my memory usage up from 1/2gb to 1gb but recently had to bump up to 2gb.

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:48 PM
DPC1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New backup plan

jzucker wrote:
YIKES, you're allocating 4GB of memory to crashplan. Seems pretty huge though I've had to bump mine up recently to 2GB. In the long run, this is not sustainable. I hope they fix this issue.

It's not that bad... ;-) I'm running 12 GB in my desktop and the -Xmx setting just indicates the MAX available for CrashPlan (if it needs it), but it typically uses less than 1 GB.

For what it's worth, all my backup woes started happening when my backup size was around 2 TB.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:16 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New backup plan

DPC1 wrote:
It's not that bad... ;-) I'm running 12 GB in my desktop and the -Xmx setting just indicates the MAX available for CrashPlan (if it needs it), but it typically uses less than 1 GB.

For what it's worth, all my backup woes started happening when my backup size was around 2 TB.

that's 33% of your total memory. I understand that it doesn't always use it but 4GB is extremely excessive. I also have a 2TB backup and it's likely to double in the next couple of years. If i have to bump up above 4GB I'll probably switch services.

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:36 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New backup plan

A friend who has a thriving software business uses Carbonite for cloud storage, as well as on-site hard drives. He recommends the process.

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:47 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New backup plan

carbonite is horribly so for large data sizes. Completely unusable for anything approaching the 2TB size that i am currently at

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New backup plan

I wrote a blog piece on backup and storage. I think you have to get your home/office storage straight first. Backup is more than that as you have to protect yourself from drive failures if you want to keep your business running. Having backup in the cloud is good but you still need a functioning system to run on.

I hope this helps:

Backup and Save Yourself

Peace
Bruce in Philly
TravelThroughPictures.com

Jun 23, 2013 at 08:09 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New backup plan

Bruce n Philly wrote:
I wrote a blog piece on backup and storage. I think you have to get your home/office storage straight first. Backup is more than that as you have to protect yourself from drive failures if you want to keep your business running. Having backup in the cloud is good but you still need a functioning system to run on.

I hope this helps:

Backup and Save Yourself

Peace
Bruce in Philly
TravelThroughPictures.com

i thought I made it clear that i'm backing up to several redundant drives and the cloud storage is just another fail-safe.

Jun 23, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New backup plan

jzucker wrote:
i thought I made it clear that i'm backing up to several redundant drives and the cloud storage is just another fail-safe.

You did, but have you ever tried to restore from a failed C drive? It can be a very time consuming task. Do you have a spare C drive on hand? This is why I like cloning the C drive. Not only is the C drive backed up this way, but this spare drive can be swapped for the failed c drive in just minutes and you are up and running. Then, if you changed data on your C drive since your last clone, you can then just copy from backup the delta. Very easy.

Acronis, the cloning software I use, can clone across dissimilar drive technologies and sizes such as I do from an SSD to a standard hard disk.

You can even keep your cloned disk inside your PC. Then when/if your C drive fails, you can boot into BIOS and tell your computer to now boot from the cloned drive.

Just trying to add a few overlooked issues to the thread. There are many things to think about when prepping your systems to handle a failure than just backing up data.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
www.TravelThroughPictures.com

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:46 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New backup plan

i do close the boot drive (not necessarily a "C" drive). That's not the type of backup this thread is addressing. In fact, I do use acronis for that. My boot drive is a 256GB SSD and it's cloned regularly. There are a zillion backup programs that can clone a drive. Backing up 4TB worth of photo data is the problem this thread is addressing.

And as I said, I backup and clone to multiple external drives.

Bruce n Philly wrote:
You did, but have you ever tried to restore from a failed C drive? It can be a very time consuming task. Do you have a spare C drive on hand? This is why I like cloning the C drive. Not only is the C drive backed up this way, but this spare drive can be swapped for the failed c drive in just minutes and you are up and running. Then, if you changed data on your C drive since your last clone, you can then just copy from backup the delta. Very easy.

Acronis, the cloning software
...Show more

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.