Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

TrojanHorse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

Can something be done? I have a reasonably high end PC with 16 GB ram and an i7-2600K CPU and LR4 drags in develop mode. Draaaaaags.

Oh, the pain, it's like watching paint dry just trying to crop photos. Never mind actually adjusting more than 1 a day.

Somebody must have figured this out by now - any tips?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

My mid 2011 iMac has similar specs but with a little less RAM (i7-2600, 12 GB of 1333) and LR zooms along quickly, and I'm dealing with large files from a D800 (typically 40-50 MB each lossless compressed raw files).

I would say "something else" is happening. Some thoughts:

Where are the image files located, and where is the catalog. Fast disk is important for both. For example, if you have the image files on a USB drive, that will hurt badly.

What else is running on your PC? I've seen malware running in the background chew up a lot of resources.

Good luck.

Jul 21, 2012 at 08:02 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

I have the same setup you have... My files are slower than with LR3 but Not as slow as you indicate... I have been praying for an update... Sorry, I can not suggest a correction...

Jul 21, 2012 at 08:14 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

Is this a clean install or an update?

I have LR4.1 installed on several computers including an comparatively ancient Q9550 processor with 8GB RAM and I've never seen the delays some people complain about but I always reformat my hard drives and do clean installs whenever new Adobe software is released.

Jul 21, 2012 at 08:57 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

There are a few things to try that I have read about...

- Trash your preview and acr caches and start again
- import your old catalog into a new one and use the new one, but make sure the new one uses it's own new preview and acr caches
- write all of your metadata out to .xmp files so that you can import your library into a fresh catalog (but you'll lose any collection data)
- otherwise avoid using automatic writes to .xmp files

Pick whichever one or more you want to try. You probably won't need to use them all.

- Alan

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM
unknown_photog

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

@trojanhorse... My version is very laggy as well and I'm running everything on SSD drives, 16gb mem and i7...so not sure what it is. LR3 is very fast...

Luckily I don't use LR that often!

I wish I had a fix for you, but I've got nothing, let me know if you come up with something.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

Mine is less RAM than yours (Win 7 Prof 64 bit, 12GB, i7 @ 2.93GHz) but my LR4.1 runs faster than LR3 when I open my RAW files from a 5D3 and I haven't seen any delays on the images when I zoom in/out and do my editing. I usually make a new catalog every month. Sometimes if you have antivirus, it makes your PC run slower.

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:58 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

Well, I have LR itself installed on an SSD, and my catalogue and images are on a 2 TB WD caviar (blue?) hard drive. Identical set up that I had with LR3 of course.

I have about 66k images in the catalogue, which should be fine for LR.

I do write my edits to external XMP files - I typically use photomechanic to preview and cull files and that just makes my life easier, particularly now that LR is dragging.

I think I"ll try the new catalogue idea & dump my preview and caches... sounds like a good starting point.

I'm just working with 10 mpix 1d3 files, so this shouldn't be a drag on my system at all.

Thanks, i'll check back in with an update in a few days.

Jul 21, 2012 at 06:49 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

I don't see how you can reasonably expect help if you don't answer the questions directed at you.

I asked earlier if it was a new installation or an upgrade from LR3. The reason for asking is that apparently LR4 is less efficient when the LR3 Preferences file is still on your computer (Uninstalling earlier versions do not remove some files like Preferences, presets, etc). Before creating a new catalog I would suggest searching your hard drive for any AGPREFS files and rename/delete the one related to LR3. All this assumes you did an upgrade.

Jul 21, 2012 at 07:41 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

Seems to be specific to your case. I am currently editing scans from 4x5 slides that are 550 MB each (TIF). They are slow to load but then the editing is essentially real-time. I am not writing to XMP files.

I am using an early 2008 Mac Pro with 2 Xeon quad processors, 10 GB of ram, and a WD caviar HD

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:37 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

It was an upgrade install James.

I deleted my ACR previews and that seems to have made a noticeable improvement. It's still a little sluggardly drawing the raw preview in develop mode, but then editing is pretty easy.

I'm mulling getting another SSD (my current one is very small and only contains the OS and my LR program files, the rest is on my 2TB user drive). Bigger drive - put the OS and all programs on it, and then use the smaller SSD for LR cache purposes. That would also give me the benefit of reinstalling windows & all my programs, which would address a couple of the other performance improvement suggestions as well. SSD prices seem to be much more reasonable than they have been.

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:26 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

I'd still go ahead and delete the LR3 AGPREFS file...many people have reported doing that improves LR4 performance. See here for example: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=41890394

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:32 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is LR 4.1 slow as molasses or is it just me?

Make a new catalogue, worked for me. It's a lot less slow now.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:57 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.