Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hasselblad Sizing and Sharpening

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Hasselblad Sizing and Sharpening

I just sized up and printed a H-Blad HD4 / 60 (60mp) image, HC 120 lens, f/8, 50ISO to 49 x 65 (as big as FujiFlex can print) and at 200ppi it looks great! I barely needed to sharpen it. I used ACR 7.1 and capture sharpened it moderately to Amount 40, Radius 0.2, Detail 100 (deconvolution sharpening) with no masking. No luminance noise reduction was applied, and 05 amount of color noise reduction. Then I sized it up using Bicubic Smoother (the best upsizing algorithm IMO). Then a very small touch of High Pass sharpening (and a small twist on it) was applied, advanced USM, and no grain simulation (although I will use some on the next one - I just wanted to see what none would look like). I'm so impressed with the detail (and I do - or teach - post production full time for gallery photographers - including LF film of all types) that I will go as far as to say I think LF film may now be largely irrelevant.

For those interested, or have been waiting for my "Ultimate Sharpening for Fine Art Printing DVD" it will be coming out in about a week (via my website) and I will show some H-Blad examples...

100% crop of enlargement before sharpening (but clobbered by compressed for Jpeg). But even still I think print makers might get an idea of the quality...

Jul 21, 2012 at 05:09 AM
smcphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Hasselblad Sizing and Sharpening

Mark, this is fantastic. Even with the web-compressed JPG, it's clear the amount of detail and tonal range. I'm still shooting with 5D classic and 7D, and have been going back and forth on the 5DIII upgrade. I really wish there were something comparable from Canon to the Nikon D800 for resolution (not trying to stir anything up, Jim! .

I know it's certainly not apples-to-apples, and there are other variables to consider, but I'm curious if you think that the same sharpening techniques, levels, etc. would be accurate and provide similar results to a stitched image from either the 5DIII or Nikon D800 (providing something in the 60MP range)? (i.e., I won't be able to afford an HD4 any time soon!

I look forward to the DVD!

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Hasselblad Sizing and Sharpening

smcphotos wrote:
Mark, this is fantastic. Even with the web-compressed JPG, it's clear the amount of detail and tonal range. I'm still shooting with 5D classic and 7D, and have been going back and forth on the 5DIII upgrade. I really wish there were something comparable from Canon to the Nikon D800 for resolution (not trying to stir anything up, Jim! .

I know it's certainly not apples-to-apples, and there are other variables to consider, but I'm curious if you think that the same sharpening techniques, levels, etc. would be accurate and provide similar results to a stitched image from either the 5DIII
...Show more

Good. I thought someone might appreciate it. My only point here was to say WOW these files soar for enlargements!!! I make enlargements all them time from various files for various clients. Maybe 70% of the time DSLR then the other 30% of the time either Large format scans or Medium format digital. I just want to say that when sharpest f/stop is chosen, and great glass is used it is amazing what a person can get out of 36MP, 40, 50 or 60... Lately I have been playing with D800 (and E) files from clients (I don't own the camera) and when great glass and sharpest f/stops are used it make greats enlargements too! One of the keys is perfecting workflow for detail.

My simple answer to your question is yes. Good glass, good f/stops, preventing all camera shake and excellence in processing for print (with a stitched image) will yield awesome results like that of medium format digital. Maybe a person who looks at an image with a magnifying glass will argue against the idea but the market of the general public will be more than satisfied IMO. I am the in the camp of those who believe more can be done with less than many would realize.

Good luck with your own work!

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Hasselblad Sizing and Sharpening

The thing about medium format which many will argue is that it does 16 bit colour which gives a better colour graduation than the 14 bit of 35mm. The sensor is way bigger and there is no anti aliasing filter to reduce the sharpness.

Even though the new Nikon does not have a filter, it is still a smaller sensor so it is close. I have a Mamiys 645 AFD and the big thing is that it states it is a 22 MP back yet the RAW file comes out at 48MP. I am on a Mac and use Aperture but although it does import to Aperture, it does not appear to get the colour right. I import the images to Capture1 then export as 16 bit TIFF's and import those to Aperture. Reason for doing that is so I can be consistent in images from both the medium format and 35mm. Bad part is the TIFF's are 128MP a piece.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Hasselblad Sizing and Sharpening

Brit-007 wrote:
The thing about medium format which many will argue is that it does 16 bit colour which gives a better colour graduation than the 14 bit of 35mm. The sensor is way bigger and there is no anti aliasing filter to reduce the sharpness.

Even though the new Nikon does not have a filter, it is still a smaller sensor so it is close. I have a Mamiys 645 AFD and the big thing is that it states it is a 22 MP back yet the RAW file comes out at 48MP. I am on a Mac and use Aperture but
...Show more

Great imput! I agree. Although I think some of the color/bit stuff might be more theoretical than real world. I print on flex via Lightjet, Chromira or Lambda and all they take is 8 bit images that are in a space near (but less than) that of Adobe RGB. I think as long as the files are handled carefully in workflow you can get "perfect" color gradation. Other side note: with computer speeds today 128MP aint too bad to work with! Just some thoughts.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password