Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need Advices on Tripod and Camera Bag

yeap
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Advices on Tripod and Camera Bag

I'm looking to upgrade my camera tripod and bag. I currently have the manfrotto 190XB tripod and 486RC2 ball head. A bit heavier to carry on trips and it sags when I shoot with my 40D + 70-200 f/4 L lens. My camera bag is just the small lowpro backpack.

For the tripod and head, I'm looking at Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 3-Section Pro Carbon Fiber Tripod +
Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head. Is this a good choice? My budget is about <$400.

For the gears, I have a 40D, a 700-200 f/4 L, 100 macro, flash light and a tamron 17-50. I'm looking at the following bags, not sure if they are the right size.

1) Kata KT DL-DR-467 Digital Rucksack
will this be too big? what's the improvement between this bag and Kata DR-467i Digital Rucksack?

2) Kata KT DL-DR-466 or 465 Digital Rucksack

Thanks for your help.

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:29 AM
yeap
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Advices on Tripod and Camera Bag

Anyone for feedback? Thanks.

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:54 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Advices on Tripod and Camera Bag

What's giving way? Is it the ball head or tripod? I've an older 3021 manfrotto that pre-dates yours and has no problems with a D300 and 300MMf4.

The 486 ballhead is way out of its league with a 70-200.

Jul 22, 2012 at 08:58 PM
yeap
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Advices on Tripod and Camera Bag

Thanks for your feedback. You are right, it's the ball head that couldn't handle the lens. May be I should just buy the ball head, a CF tripod would be nice for hiking trips though.

runamuck wrote:
What's giving way? Is it the ball head or tripod? I've an older 3021 manfrotto that pre-dates yours and has no problems with a D300 and 300MMf4.

The 486 ballhead is way out of its league with a 70-200.

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:37 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Advices on Tripod and Camera Bag

A good tripod, but a bit heavy and an inadequate ball head. If you are going to do anything, get a new ball head. Many here sing the praises of Photo Clam heads. Put up with a bit of weight for a while on hikes.

Putting a new tripod under an inadequate head will continue to vex you and give poor photo quality. This head should be adequate. However, if you add larger lenses, you will probably be forced to buy a larger head.
http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-40NS.htm

Here's a link to more heads. The larger the ball, the more it can hold. Don't count on the weight ratings because they have little relevance to real life. It's best to go bigger because we all tend to get bigger, heavier lenses and cameras as we go along.

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:54 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password