Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LR4 and lens correction

caldmgjg

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · LR4 and lens correction

I am considering buying LR4. I see it has lens correction. Do I need to adjust the distortion and vignetting for each of my camera bodies or does LR4 adjust for Full frame, APS-H, and APS-C automatically. Does cropping influence the adjustment?

Jul 20, 2012 at 08:12 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · LR4 and lens correction

The sensor size does not matter. The profile corrects the lens over the full field (FF). If you are using a crop body, you only see a portion of the field but it does not change the correction needed.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM
caldmgjg

p.1 #3 · LR4 and lens correction

Lenses need the most correction at the edge. If the full frame uses 21.6 mm from center to edge the APS-H uses 16.6 mm from center and the APS-C uses 13.5 from center, then the APS-C does not use the worst part of the lens like the full frame does. When you look at the lens graphs on the Canon site the EF lenses go to 21 mm and the EF-S lens only go to 13 mm. So the full frame needs to correct for 1.6 more of the lens than the APS-C which is why you need better lenses if you use full frame.

My question stands: If I use my 24-105 on my 1DMKIV I need more correction than if I use it on my 20D; does the LR software take that into account?

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · LR4 and lens correction

Lens correction in LR4 and Adobe Camera Raw 7 work by detecting the body and lens combination used (info extracted from the EXIF metadata) and applying a correction profile drawn from a database of body/lens combinations.

It is for the most part automatic although it can be manually overriden or adjusted if a particular lens/body combination is not in Adobe's database.

Of course cropping affects vignetting and both LR4 and ACR has the ability to restore post-cropping vignettes if desired.

This might help: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:57 AM
caldmgjg

p.1 #5 · LR4 and lens correction

Thank you. The link helps.

LR4 starts with a value of 100. So does that mean above 100 is over-correcting and for the best results just tell LR4 to Enable Profile corrections and leave the rest to LR4?

I have Adobe CS4 now. It does not seem to have these values. Is it possible to get a patch download for these lenses and bodies so I could add these profiles to CS4?

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:20 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #6 · LR4 and lens correction

I'm not sure but I don't think these Lens Profiles work with CS4. As I recall, you would need to have CS5 at least.

You can make your own lens profiles using the Adobe Lens Profile Creator: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

There's also an Adobe Lens Profile Downloader that you can use to get specific profiles from Adobe's servers....perhaps that would work for you.

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:33 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #7 · LR4 and lens correction

Good explanation here. See about 1/3 of the way down (4-29 to 4-30). Sensor size does not matter. You need CS5 or LR4

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1709192

The default values in LR4 seem fine.

Jul 21, 2012 at 02:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

caldmgjg

p.1 #8 · LR4 and lens correction

Adobe has separate lens correction files for 5D and for 1DmkIII, so size does matter.

The files for LR4 are much larger than the files CS4 makes so the LR4 files are probably useless on the CS4.

They have done a good job on the lens correction. It was probably enough more work that the decided to change the policy on supplying plug in files for new cameras.

I have a student copy of CS4. I was originally looking at possibly upgrading because I am looking at upgrading my backup camera from my 20D to either a T3i or T4i and Adobe no longer is supplying the plug in for new cameras for CS4 (what a pain); so if I upgrade I have to buy CS6 from scratch, or buy Lightroom. I am trying Lightroom. I prefer the layout of the Camera Raw with CS4 a lot more because its just cleaner and you can see the picture larger, but I like the new features of Lightroom ( and CS6 I presume) like the lens correction. I may wait until I actually buy a new back-up camera, who knows maybe I'll have enough bucks at the time to buy the CS4 photoshop, or even afford a 7D or 5D.

Jul 21, 2012 at 06:53 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #9 · LR4 and lens correction

You should be able to upgrade your Student version of CS4 to the standard version of CS6 for $199. This offer is good through the end of 2012.

Call Adobe Call Center at 800-585-0774 or the Adobe Business Center at 800-443-8158 to discuss this with them.

You might also be able to purchase Lightroom 4 at the same time for the reduced price of $99. It is not at all clear to me if this offer is available to you or not. This may only be available to people purchasing the full version (not the upgrade version) of CS6. If you are interested in this discuss it with the Adobe representative.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM
caldmgjg

p.1 #10 · LR4 and lens correction

Thank you for the thought.
I called the Adobe Call Center.
If I had CS4 Photoshop I could do as you suggested and upgrade to CS6 Photoshop for $199.
I have CS4 Design Premium. Adobe will let me upgrade to CS6 Design Premium for $699. They will not let me upgrade just Photoshop. If I want just Photoshop I am allowed the joy of buying it new for $649. Perhaps it's just me be I feel it's silly to buy a backup camera for between $500-700 and then have to pay about the same for software upgrade.
Initially this started because I used to be able to download a plug-in for a new camera for Camera Raw. Now they only have the new plug-ins for CS5 and CS6.

Jul 26, 2012 at 09:50 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #11 · LR4 and lens correction

Download the 30 day free trial...experiment!

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM
caldmgjg

p.1 #12 · LR4 and lens correction

I have been trying the LR4 free trial.
I should start a new discussion on that.
I prefer Bridge and Camera Raw much more because the layout is much cleaner;
however I may buy LR4 if I buy a newer backup camera.
I may be tempted by the lens correction software.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · LR4 and lens correction

caldmgjg wrote:
I am considering buying LR4. I see it has lens correction. Do I need to adjust the distortion and vignetting for each of my camera bodies or does LR4 adjust for Full frame, APS-H, and APS-C automatically. Does cropping influence the adjustment?

It depends if you like the adjustment. I see what It does and see if I like the effect. Then I custom taylor it (both the vignette and the distortion) to look the way I want it to look. So, just because an image is "lens corrected" does by no means mean it is better!

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:46 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password