Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

dayinmay
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

My client just emailed that she has cold sores on her lips and it probably won't be healed in time for our engagement shoot tomorrow (possibly in a scabbing over stage). I haven't seen how severe it is, but will assume the worst in order to be prepared.

Any ideas on how to shoot this in a flattering way without resorting to lots of Photoshop? I'm thinking:

-- Ask her to cover it up with lipstick or lip gloss (she's already indicated she doesn't think she looks great in lipstick, but seems willing to do it...perhaps I'll suggest a neutral yet opaque color)

-- Wide / environmental shots

-- Creative angles (from behind ; side profile if one side is better than the other)

-- Creative use of objects to cover up her mouth while still seeing her eyes/face (strands of hair, fingertips, put them behind fences/walls...)

Any other things I can do? The mouth is such an important part of the face...and the face (especially the bride-to-be's) is an important part of engagement photos...I can't just avoid shooting her face the whole time!

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:13 PM
asimsoofi
• • •
p.1 #2 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

Reschedule.

/asim

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:19 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #3 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

asimsoofi wrote:
Reschedule.

That, or just shoot. Don't get suckered into promising to "fix it in post."

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:22 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

asimsoofi wrote:
Reschedule.

/asim

This.

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:49 PM
dayinmay
• •
p.1 #5 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

Unfortunately, we can't easily reschedule - the shoot location is 2.5 hours away and we all blocked off this weekend to do it. There isn't another free weekend before their wedding to postpone to. I'll suggest it anyway (reschedule for later date, but it'd have to be in town) but I don't think they'll go for it -- the spot we've planned for is very special to them.

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:57 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

dayinmay wrote:
Unfortunately, we can't easily reschedule - the shoot location is 2.5 hours away and we all blocked off this weekend to do it. There isn't another free weekend before their wedding to postpone to. I'll suggest it anyway (reschedule for later date, but it'd have to be in town) but I don't think they'll go for it -- the spot we've planned for is very special to them.

Well you just answered your own question. This is her problem not yours. Youre not a DR, a magician or miracle worker.

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:14 PM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #7 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

what he ^^ said. i would be up front that if the photos need retouching it will/will not be included.

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:40 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

If you CAN reschedule without impacting your business then offer the option... if it doesn't work out for them then that's their problem, you have done your part in being the proactive photographer trying to solve a problem.

Another options is to suggest that she hire a GREAT MUA to hide the spot but still keep her looking natural. You can sell this as a benefit... she can try out a MUA and see how she'll look on the wedding day... I'd recommend a couple whose work you liked but make clear that the choice is hers and you can't be responsible for the MUA's ability to totally hide the mark. added benefit... cold sore or not she'll look better with WELL APPLIED makeup

When you make that suggestion you also inject "look, I'm suggesting this for your benefit against my own self-interest... if I was only looking out for my bottom line I'd be better off if you don't hire a MUA and pay my retouching fees instead... and a good MUA will cost less than retouching even just 5 images or so!"

See what I did there?

You're showing you're an ally
You're more likely to end up with the MUA outcome, which is truly a WIN/WIN/WIN
You're injecting the fact that retouching will COST HER

Anyway... best of luck!

Ale

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:51 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #9 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

I shot a wedding a few weeks ago of a bride who had it. I just retouched every single photo... I don't charge extra for this.

Make up helps a bit,but it doesn't hold . Once they started kissing, it all became visible again.

Tell them to avoid any french kissing and such. They should kiss very lightly.

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

Terminate the contract...

Haha jk lots of good stuff above I really have nothing to add

Jul 20, 2012 at 08:03 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

Try not to kiss her if possible. It's very contagious!

Jul 20, 2012 at 08:59 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

I edited it out of a complete set of wedding photos. Bride had a cold sore at left corner of lower lip, MUA covered it, the cover cracked and didn't look good, I edited it in PS or LR depending on how easy it was to use the spot heal in LR.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

Shoot with covering up her mouth? Like with gaffers tape? Or like Bain in the new batman?

Eh, I would cut her a break and photoshop her favorite shots.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #14 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

I would suggest she gets a very good MUA, and then tell her not to be self concious about it and that you will shoot as though it's not there and touch up anything that is obvious. I wouldn't avoid closer portraits, cold sores are easy to retouch. I've had plenty of cold sores in my past and they are usually just a round dot.
More annoying retouching is when the client has a cold underneath of the nose is red and sore from too much rubbing with tissues and the entire area around the mouth is red too.

Definitely the best thing would be to make sure she forgets about it as much as possible because she's not going to be able to relax in front of the camera otherwise...

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:22 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

People who are saying simply shoot her and fix it in editing are not considering the possibilities of what can go wrong but can be avoided. Sometimes editing can only do so much (time wise and the finished look). You may get a few great images that the angles or whatever do not offer a natural look. I strongly suggest doing the right thing to make a reschedule work.

The only schedule in life that you can't reschedule is death. No excuses.

Jul 21, 2012 at 03:13 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

My client just emailed that she has cold sores on her lips and it probably won't be healed in time for our engagement shoot tomorrow (possibly in a scabbing over stage). I haven't seen how severe it is, but will assume the worst in order to be prepared.

Why assume anything? Have them take a cell phone picture and send it to you. If it's just a small spot--horrendous to the woman, but otherwise not that big a deal--then have her get an MUA or retouch it. It could as well be a big-assed zit or a ringworm spot--stuff like that happens. No excuses. Make it work, charge extra if necessary.

This is a moment that's got you thinking and you've gotten a number of suggestions to handle it. What if this were the wedding instead of the engagement? Some things won't be rescheduled just for the sake of the photography.

As far as kissing, I find that posing lips very close to be a lot sexier than smashmouth.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM
dayinmay
• •
p.1 #17 · Client with cold sores - how to shoot?

Thanks all for taking the time to write!

I wrote back that we'd just be creative with angles and framing, and suggested she get a lipstick that would even out any discoloration. I also cautioned her that if Photoshop work was needed beyond what I normally do, then we'd look into outsourcing to a professional retoucher...but as long as she wasn't expecting close-up shots of the lower half of her face in every photo, then it should be fine.

As far as rescheduling, I also said that since we've had this weekend booked for a while, let's just roll with it and have fun. In the back of my mind, I was prepared to offer a reshoot if things turned out poorly. To be honest, I secretly wanted to do the shoot as I thought it would be a good opportunity to force myself to try different things (not that I wish cold sores on anybody, especially when they have a photoshoot -- but when presented with lemons, make lemonade, right?)

In the end, everything worked out well! They were such a pleasure to shoot. I'll do some spot healing, which was expected, but I don't think we'll need any significant rework.

This all reminds me of when my husband and I had our own shoot last year -- we both had severe sunburns on our faces that were at the red and peeling stage! (This is what happens when you let winter-weary Canadians loose in California with a convertible, eh!)

Thanks again for your advice!

Jul 23, 2012 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password