Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

ADVICE PLEASE!
I am having trouble controlling my trackball mouse(age ) in PS when using tools that require precise outlines of areas to be modified.

Will the pen type Wacom table give me more control over tools requiring this control?
Thanks!
Dan

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:22 PM
BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Will the pen type Wacom table give me more control over tools requiring this control?

Yes.

John

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:40 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

I feel the Wacom gives me the best control.

However, it takes some time to get used to. Most people give up too quickly, IMHO. The best thing for me to learn how to use it was an exercise where I put a grid up in PS then drew Xs in the boxes and then circling the Xs with Os.

Of course, if you get a Cintiq, then you're 'drawing' right on your photo.

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:28 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

BruceF99 wrote:
I feel the Wacom gives me the best control.

However, it takes some time to get used to. Most people give up too quickly, IMHO. The best thing for me to learn how to use it was an exercise where I put a grid up in PS then drew Xs in the boxes and then circling the Xs with Os.

Of course, if you get a Cintiq, then you're 'drawing' right on your photo.

Cintiq?
Can you elaborate please Bruce?
Thanks!!
Dan

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:38 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Danpbphoto wrote:
Cintiq?
Can you elaborate please Bruce?
Thanks!!
Dan

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq.aspx

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:41 PM
robbalbrecht

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Dan,
Like Bruce said it does take a bit to get use to but I think it's worth it. My wife is an illustrator and she has a large Wacom tablet which I use to make fun of. Now that I'm use to it I can't even think of doing anything in Photoshop without it.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

For those that use tablets, do you only use it for artistic work or do you also use it in every-day usage, like browsing the web? And would using the tablet as the only pointing device help train you to get better at it?

I find I have trouble when manipulating controls using the pen, as the pointer tends to drift a pew pixels when putting the tip down on the surface or bringing it away. So for example if I wanted to move the highlights slider to the left by 5 in LR, I find I am much more competent at doing that using a mouse than with the pen, because when I lift the pen off the surface I get that small drift and it throws my adjustment off.

But masking areas for local adjustments, the pen is superior.

Could it be that I do not have the sensitivity settings adjusted correctly on my tablet?

Norman

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BruceF99
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Norman,
I find myself using the Wacom mostly for editing in LR or PS. I have the same issue with the sliders changing by a point or two if I lift the pen too much off the tablet. But, I mostly go by eye and use the histogram in LR for the exposure adjustments and it seems to be less of an issue there.

I never use it for web browsing.

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:40 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Just get the tablet ... I can't imagine using a mouse for PS work.

Jul 21, 2012 at 05:54 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Thanks all for the "coaching"
I would be using it for PS only.
Dan

Special THANKS to Chuck for his PM.

Jul 21, 2012 at 05:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Danpbphoto wrote:
ADVICE PLEASE!
I am having trouble controlling my trackball mouse(age ) in PS when using tools that require precise outlines of areas to be modified.

Thanks!
Dan

Yes, of course. I've been using the Wacom tablets for ~15 years. However, I do use a good mouse for other computer work when I'm not using PS.

EBH

Jul 21, 2012 at 07:13 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

It did not take me a split second to get used to using a Wacom. I can't image how or why it would take any time to get used to it from a mouse.

I use an IBM keyboard with a Thinkpad pointer stick, and use that instead of the pen outside PS. The fingertip is sometimes more subtle than the pen even in PS. Also, I'm handy with keyboard shortcuts, so I keep that available as well (which is why I use a small tablet).

But I can't think of anything in PS that is better done with the mouse.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

"But I can't think of anything in PS that is better done with the mouse."

Plenty of thing including but not limited to very precise Paths, which are almost impossible to do with a Pen, and cloning along an already existing straight edge, where the alignment between the copy and the paste has to be down to the pixel level to avoid a dog leg in the clone. And menu items are just easier with a mouse.

I paint left handed and mouse right handed, so it works out well, with the Wacom on the left and the mouse on the right. Very efficient, but you have to be sort of ambidextrous, or at least it helps.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wacom Tablet use in PS versus Mouse.

Peter Figen wrote:
"But I can't think of anything in PS that is better done with the mouse."

Plenty of thing including but not limited to very precise Paths, which are almost impossible to do with a Pen, and cloning along an already existing straight edge, where the alignment between the copy and the paste has to be down to the pixel level to avoid a dog leg in the clone. And menu items are just easier with a mouse.

I paint left handed and mouse right handed, so it works out well, with the Wacom on the left and the mouse on the
...Show more

Ah, you're right. But I use the Trackpoint for those anyway.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password