Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

Love the light they produce. I have not used the internal plastic diffuser on either of them. Just wondering what thoughts others have on these?

The only negative is that I find they really hard to assemble, particularly the 53". Fortunately, the 53" will stay assembled and in the studio but I got the 39" to take on location. However, after assembling/disassembling several times I'm not so keen on trying to put it together on location at the beach or park.

I'll probably buy the 27.5" at some point. Does anyone use one of these for location shoots and does it spread enough to do a full length shot? If so, how far back do you have to pull it for a full length shot? Does pulling it back cause the light quality to suffer?

I've been using a 36" fotodiox umbrella style octabox for location shoots but the light quality - while good - does not compare to the light from the 39" deep octa.

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:27 PM
400d
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

I have both of them as well, I have never figured out the Elinchrom speedring, I just use them with the regular 8 holes speedring. With a little practice, setting them up in the field with the regular speedring is ok, just need to find a clean surface. The inner silver layer can be destroyed easily (delaminated), if you force it with the Elinchrom ring. I think I could set up the 53" in 3 minutes...

If you have extra $, definitely look into getting the grid for the DO by Lighttools, makes a world of difference.

Edited on Jul 20, 2012 at 01:59 PM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:52 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

thanks for the tip!

is that bridal pic the 39?

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:58 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

It's the 53" on a Photogenic 750W/s monolight. I think the 39" shines the most for half length/headshot. If you are leaving the 53" in the studio, I am sure you will love the light even more from the 59" deep inverse octa: http://bhpho.to/MziCU0

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

Not sure what the difficulty you're having with the speedring and assembly is. There is the initial assembly where you put the rods into the ring, that takes a bit of care and time. Once you've done that though, you should never take the rods out. Just collapse the octa and store it in its case whether in the studio or taking it on location.

If you're having difficulty locking the rods in place, try the technique of pushing on opposing rods simultaneously while the modifier is on the ground (or on top of your foot if the ground is dirty). It's very fast to assemble...

Here is a video of my preferred way of assembling the 39" DO.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v483/sheldonnalos/?action=view¤t=DeepOcta.mp4

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:38 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

Thanks Sheldon. I was taking the rods out each time because the case I put my softbox and lights in is not quite large enough for the box. The Fotodiox 36" octabox (barely) fits in it.

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:21 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

Did yours come with the Elinchrom carrying case? If so, that fits perfectly with the rods still attached. If you don't have a carrying case, look around for something like a lightweight baseball bat bag at a sporting goods store. I've got one that fits my 39" DO perfectly, has a nice handle, and was cheap so I'm not afraid to get it dirty on location.

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:33 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

yeah I have the case with it but we usually carry the softbox in a suitcase and the case isn't quite big enough for the 39" box with the ring/rods attached.

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:45 PM
bobbyz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

I like SP Systems 37" octa. Opens like an umbrella, very nice. Seems much easier to assemble than what I am seeing in the linked video.

Jul 20, 2012 at 08:41 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

bobbyz wrote:
I like SP Systems 37" octa. Opens like an umbrella, very nice. Seems much easier to assemble than what I am seeing in the linked video.

that's the fotodiox one. I like it too but the mount didn't my my Bxri 500 head. i had to dremel it for 15 minutes before it would go on. And it's hard to get it on still because the thumb-screw which holds the ring from turning doesn't hold properly. On a side note, fotodiox and their support and service blow, big-time.

Jul 20, 2012 at 08:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

I have both as well. For greater portability and another look you might also consider the Elinchrom Varistar Umbrella and the 110 degree reflector. Super easy to use and they put out a night light. Or consider one of their beauty dishes to round out your collection.

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:56 AM
visualist

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

Wow ...

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

Sheldon, your bride photograph is amazing. Can you share what the advantages are to using the grid on the 53" umbrella in that shot are? Is it just to keep the light from feathering out real wide and hitting the pews or is it to keep the light from wrapping around her face so you get that nice shadow on her cheek or is it something else?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

That bridal shot was ok, the shadow of the bouquet is somewhat huge on her and the shadow on the right of her forehead is a little unnatural. The church told me I have 10min since the next couple's wedding is starting in 20min. I scrambled to set up the stand, the monolight, and the 53" Octa. The octa wasn't gridded, both diffusers were used though. Unfortunately the time was that tight that I didn't even have time to take one shot of the setup. The octa was about 8' away from the bride and 7' from the ground. If it's gridded, there would be less spill on the pews on the left, it probably wouldn't affect the shadow on her face too much.

I received the 50 degree grid from Lighttools not too long ago, so I don't have too many samples/comparisons to share. With the stretch frame for the DO, total $488, it's quite an investment but I think it's worth the price. The cost of the 53" grid makes me faint, and it will take forever to set up in the field. You can see what the grid looks like mounted on the DO. Although I am considering to return it for the 40 degree. Here's one from a recent shoot with the DO, 50 degree grid and both diffusers.

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:16 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

Thanks for the info. $675 is a bit steep for a grid though but your work is great and if it pays for itself, that's the bottom line.

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:38 PM
ElliotD

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

400d wrote:
Here's one from a recent shoot with the DO, 50 degree grid and both diffusers.
http://bit.ly/MCKlDd

What would be the benefit of using a grid in the daytime outside? Spill is not a issue, Right?

Jul 24, 2012 at 07:13 AM
400d
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

For that specific shot, the grid wouldn't make a difference, since the wall wasn't right behind the model. If I move the light farther away from the model, the shadow would look different with the grid, although it's still be minor since I exposed for a good amount of ambient light. I had the grid on to see how long it takes to assemble and to get familiar with the assembly process.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM
bobbyz
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

jzucker wrote:
that's the fotodiox one. I like it too but the mount didn't my my Bxri 500 head. i had to dremel it for 15 minutes before it would go on. And it's hard to get it on still because the thumb-screw which holds the ring from turning doesn't hold properly. On a side note, fotodiox and their support and service blow, big-time.

Never used Fotodiox but SP Systems is top notch quality stuff. Check POTN where Dave compared SP systems to Elinchrom.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:25 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

fotodiox and SP Systems are one and the same. I have the elinchrom 39 and the SP 36 and I don't think they're in the same ballpark but the SP is good for the money. The elinchrom adapter they sell is garbage.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:41 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Just bought Elinchrom 39" Deep Octa and 53 Octa

Here's a video of me putting together the deep octa in like 9 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjopKw5VjQA

It doesn't take long, but it takes getting used to. I also have the deep octa Lighttools grid, the 30' And i would say that using the grid on that bride shot 'would' make a small difference, it looks to me like it was feathered a little bit forward and you wouldn't see the pews lit as much with the grid.

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:19 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password