Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another NPS performance gripe

solock

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another NPS performance gripe

So 2 new D300s's were sent in to NPS to add the barcode reading software on 7/2 from PA to NY so UPS shipping puts them there on 7/3. They were packed with the form authorizing the charge (I already did this with 2 others a few months ago so understood and preplanned)

They are acknowledged into Nikons system on 7/10. It took more than a week to go from arrival to checked in, already less than stellar performance, Hell it took longer to check them in than it should have taken them to do the job and send them back!

Nikon then sent me two emails asking me to authorize the charges ($38.00). I signed the pdf's, and faxed them back in separate faxes so that they weren't "confused".

2 days later I get a mailed authorization request for 1 of the two. Hmm another delay, Yumm...

It is now the 20th, the cameras have been IN SHOP since the 11th... For a software update that will take minutes, not weeks to perform!

When I did my first barcode upgrade it took 4 days, the second one took 5 weeks, this one looks like it will take at least 3 weeks...

NPS is not returning calls to messages left on their phone number nor does service have any update.

I just don't understand the value of jumping through hoops for NPS when they are awful for something so simple as a software load. I can only imagine how long it would take if I wasn't an NPS member!

The software update isn't something you can DIY, nor will they just send it to you for DIY, nor can it be moved from one camera to another, so you are beholden to an awful system...

Canon can do an entire shutter/mirror box/ re-calibration on a 1Diii in 3 days including shipping, but nikon cant do a software load in 3 weeks!

Ok, thanks for listening, end of rant....

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another NPS performance gripe

you with your issue and a few other individuals who, at the last minute, just before the summer Olympics have decided all their gear needed to checked out before they left for the UK in the next few days.

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another NPS performance gripe

Nikon service in my experience is as slow as they come. The last three trips to Nikon took a combined 6 months. One lens returned saying they could not fix the issue. My D3x they held for 3 months to repair the rubber grip and button. They returned after 2 months and had forgotten to fix the button and the LCD did not work. Sent it back and waited another 3 weeks. The last time was to clean and calibrate my 300 f2.8 it took 2 months for that lens to find its way home. The entire time the status online said parts hold but each time I called they said the parts were in and it was in the shop. It was not until I reciever the lens at my house that the status finally changed to in shop.

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another NPS performance gripe

i just had a lens done (clean out) and it was out and back in 7 days.
my SB700 was also out and back in 7days too.

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:00 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another NPS performance gripe

It's a crap shoot with them and given they may be receiving a lot of D800's back for AF issues and Pro's getting a tune up before Olympics and.......

Jul 21, 2012 at 03:09 PM
Fstr.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another NPS performance gripe

This is so interesting, Nikon is pretty much forcing us to go through their "authorized repair centers" only to endure their overly expensive and slow service. Why are they creating this problem for themselves. I need a cf flash door for my D3 now that they won't sell it to me (neither will the ARC). There is no way in the universe I am sending it in for such a minor service and facing the possibility of them sticking it in their system for who knows how long. I guess I will have to make a very long and inconvenient drive and wait for it. By the way, that rubber stick on part went from about 18 bucks to $72 for the whole door installed.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another NPS performance gripe

I've been dealing with NPS Canada quite a bit lately and am floored by the excellent service i'm getting! I have zero complaints!

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:44 PM
s14brent
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another NPS performance gripe

i have a d700 there for service. The camera is on "parts hold" and has been there for over 6 weeks now. very unhappy with this whole situation.
I'm normally pretty happy with their service/turn-around time. This is my first gripe with the el segundo facility.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM
solock

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another NPS performance gripe

Arrived back on the 24th. so 3 weeks for a software install. Less than thrilled, fingers crossed if I really need help.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another NPS performance gripe

Nikon's slow service cannot be excused because of the Olympics. They happen every two years Winter, then Summer, if they cannot handle the servicing at a reasonable return time they should at least inform the customers that there will be an extended service time. The customer can decide whether to wait and have the repair done when the turn around time is better. This is just poor service.

As it is, there appears little the customer can do other than assuming they will be slower and come up with a work around. My D800E has the left focusing issue, I am waiting to see an official response and protocol prior to sending it in. 3 Weeks for a software install is pathetic.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM
bparkin

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another NPS performance gripe

Sent my D3 and 14-24 in for service to Nikon Canada in Vancouver. They got the camera on a Monday and called me right away to say they could not fix nano coated lenses in Vancouver. They sent the camera and lens to Nikon Mississauga Monday afternoon. Tuesday at noon I had a call from Mississauga telling me the cost of the repair which I immediately authorized. The tech told me he was taking my D3 to the front of the line and it would be next to be worked on.

Amazingly, Thursday morning, the camera was back in my hands in Regina, SK. The lens followed the next day. I'm not an NPS member, but with service like that, who would care. A big thanks to Nikon Canada for getting me sorted out so fast.

Now if only they would service a D800 from the U.S..... I could find one there, but there are no D800's to be had in Canada. Big sigh on that one.

Jul 28, 2012 at 01:38 AM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another NPS performance gripe

I dropped my 24-70 and it apparently had a little bit of an internal problem and needed a new part.

It was on parts hold for 2 months. I couldn't believe it.

I am considering switching to Canon, because my last few repair experiences have been terrible. I also sent in my d300 for a very common problem with the shutter / mirror mechanism, and it took them a month to fix it and send it back. The problem was that I got it back and it hadn't been fixed at all - the first frame I took showed the shutter problem wasn't fixed, and the camera obviously hadn't been tested or else they would have seen the problem.

... so dissapointing.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password