Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

thinkpadfans
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

I've used the 40mm Pancake for about 2 weeks, and I think I might be suitable to offer some of my experience with it.

I use it on 5D Mark III, you might already know it does not come with USM, and it is power focus. Focusing is not as quite, but not noisy at all. Focusing speed is quite OK. I say quite ok, because it is not as fast as a 70-200 F2.8 II, but it is fast enough for moving objects.

It is light (almost no weight), which makes it a winner if you want to have something light.

Sharp wide open - a bit ridiculous since the fastest aperture is f2.8 But still wide open, right?

Build quality is fine. Not as good as a 50L, but I am satisfied with it. It is way better than a 50 1.8 II.

I would argue that at same aperture, this lens outperforms 35L and 50L. My recommendation is that if you don't need the F2 and faster apertures, this lens will serve you well. I've used 50L and 35L and loved them, but this time, my pick is the 40mm.

Final word, it is only $200, I guess on the flea market you will probably be able to pick up one for $150-175. For this price, how can you go wrong?

Size comparison:

some random shots

Edited on Jul 27, 2012 at 03:14 AM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:56 AM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #2 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

Very nice shots, every image I see from this lens sells me on it.

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:53 AM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

Nozzleforward wrote:

its price rocks...

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:22 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #4 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

I had to order one. Hopefully it will show up before I leave for a family reunion/birthday party Wednesday. I am looking forward to the decreased weight and bulk for the hours long event.

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:40 AM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

PCKit wrote:
I had to order one. Hopefully it will show up before I leave for a family reunion/birthday party Wednesday. I am looking forward to the decreased weight and bulk for the hours long event.

it is definitely something to own if you are not looking for fast apertures...

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:11 AM
Huevito589

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

How it works focusing?

Jul 20, 2012 at 07:33 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

Huevito589 wrote:
How it works focusing?

From my limited use so far, focusing is acceptably fast with little noise. To the OP, your shots are very nice!

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

Nozzleforward wrote:

Huevito589 wrote:
How it works focusing?

Just to add my two cents to the OP's thread...Yes, the lens is absolutely sharp & contrasty even wide open and focuses very accurately. It also focuses fast enough for most anything you will be shooting at that focal length. Some people deride the 'bokeh' quality but that is subjective and in any case, the bokeh quality will differ at different distances...I have generally found it to be 'OK-ish' to quite pleasing depending on the background distance . However, I purchased the 40mm for it's compactness to use as a travel/vacation lens...and in the first vacation oppurtunity I had to use it, it performed great and well exceeded my expectations. I'm so happy with it, that I also purchased the 35/1.4 to compliment it and to sell my 35/2. I always really liked the 35/2 but it was always a 'compromise' lens for me...even though it's small, it was never quite as compact as I wanted and although fast, never quite as fast either...so now I have a perfect combination for me. Of course, YMMV.

Omar

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Jim_Escalante
• •
p.1 #9 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

If you do not mind my asking, did you take those photos with one of your 5D cameras. Just wondering how people like the lens on a full frame DSLR. Thanks for sharing,
Jim

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:26 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

Jim_Escalante wrote:
If you do not mind my asking, did you take those photos with one of your 5D cameras. Just wondering how people like the lens on a full frame DSLR. Thanks for sharing,
Jim

Again, I don't want to hi-jack the OP's thread but to add my two cents (again)...I have used the 40mm on FF and I REALLY like it...alot! I like the 'normal' view on FF and I also wanted a super compact lens....it was perfect (for me).

Omar

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim_Escalante
• •
p.1 #11 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

Thanks Omar! That is all I needed to hear. It is very sweet looking. Enjoy!
jim

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:08 PM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

onegreatcity wrote:
From my limited use so far, focusing is acceptably fast with little noise. To the OP, your shots are very nice!

yeah, AF is at least not terrible, USM is desirable, but focus on this one is definitely acceptable. thanks for the kind words!

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:04 PM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

omarlyn wrote:
Again, I don't want to hi-jack the OP's thread but to add my two cents (again)...I have used the 40mm on FF and I REALLY like it...alot! I like the 'normal' view on FF and I also wanted a super compact lens....it was perfect (for me).

Omar

yeah, agreed. I like 40mm too, it is almost same as normal view of a person (about 43mm on ff?)

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:04 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

its certainly sharper than my 24-105 at 40mm and f/2.8 - its really 100% usable wide open. And its so cute.

Jul 20, 2012 at 07:19 PM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

elader wrote:
its certainly sharper than my 24-105 at 40mm and f/2.8 - its really 100% usable wide open. And its so cute.

yes yes it works quite well on F2.8, and thank you for the kind words.

Kevin

Jul 21, 2012 at 07:14 AM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

I want to add that it does not come with USM, so you will feel the focus lag a little bit.

Built quality is quite OK, not superb but not as bad as a 50 1.8 II

Jul 26, 2012 at 05:04 AM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #17 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

Is there a 40mm picture gallery post? I think it will be a good idea for people to post their pictures with the 40mm here.

Here are two more: the second is for size comparison:

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:07 AM
CNNews

p.1 #18 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

nice shoot, low price with high quality

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #19 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

I shot these images with this lens the other night. The two of the side of the Police car have no post work at all, just converted to jpg and resized for the forum.

All in all, I love this lens. It's small enough to fit (comfortably) in a pocket, gives great colors, focuses fast, doesn't stick out away from the camera very far (so it doesn't bang into stuff), and it was inexpensive! if anyone is on the edge about it, just buy it. You'll be glad you did once you start shooting it.

The first one shows how well it seems to control flare, especially since it didn't have a UV filter on it (the B+W MRC is in the mail still) and those LED overheads are BRIGHT. In this first image, the overheads are a few inches out of the frame.

This one was shot a few seconds after the first, with the Blue LED overheads "off" on my side.

This last shot I had to adjust the shadows/fill light on a bit because I ended up underexposing to control the LED lights and street lighting

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM
thinkpadfans
• • •
p.1 #20 · Canon 40mm Pancake Experience and Test Shots

Nozzleforward wrote:
I shot these images with this lens the other night. The two of the side of the Police car have no post work at all, just converted to jpg and resized for the forum.

All in all, I love this lens. It's small enough to fit (comfortably) in a pocket, gives great colors, focuses fast, doesn't stick out away from the camera very far (so it doesn't bang into stuff), and it was inexpensive! if anyone is on the edge about it, just buy it. You'll be glad you did once you start shooting it.

Yes indeed, the little thing was a pleasant surprise for me. I really hope it has a fast aperture of F2, then I can dump both 35L and 50L

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:05 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password