New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

S Dilworth
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

You're not wrong Walter. You're just…not considering it from a human perspective. You've suffered a tiny wrong, and meted out an arguably disproportionate punishment.

DaveyDonut wrote:
eBay needs a system where you can review products and sellers separately.

EBay needs a competitor. I can't think of another company so thoroughly incompetent in everything it does, from user-interface design, to transparency of fees, to customer service. Everyone – sellers and buyers – hates almost everything about eBay and PayPal. But we keep using eBay, because we like one thing greatly: the size of its marketplace. Competition, please!

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

There's no free lunch

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:33 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

si_film wrote:
A neutral feedback would have been more appropriate. Negative feedback should be reserved for when you get screwed and seller doesn't provide remedy. This is why ebay is starting to stink, some buyers leave negative feedback for the most minor issue.

I once got a negative feedback because I didn't ship my item within 2 days... the guy bought it at 3pm on a friday and I didn't ship till monday (which was next businesses day).. that negative crap showed on my account for a year.

Starting to stink?? But I agree, buying a knock-off to start with you should know what you're getting.

Jul 20, 2012 at 06:54 PM
TSY87
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

Ive had decent experience with generic lens caps. I usually put away the genuine nikon ones in the lens box so in case I ever sell the lens, I have the OEM genuine lens cap. The details really help the sale and id much rather lose a cheapo lens cap then a genuine one.

Jul 20, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

DaveyDonut wrote:
blah blah blah... What I want is what the listing was for, "This high quality center snap on lens cap is produced by the third party, but the quality is as good as the original ones." That's false advertising. What part of that do you not understand? Yes, it was less money, that's why I bought it. I have bought MANY items like this from China on eBay and they WERE as good as what I'd pay much more for in the US (most of this stuff is made there, obviously). Didn't I say that already? Oh yeah... repeat. I
...Show more

Dude. You could have gotten a full refund, but no, you left them FIVE negative feedback instead. I think it's pretty clear who the asshole is.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM
DaveyDonut

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

Just to close the loop on this, per the recommendation by DaveyDonut I contacted the seller and told her (again) that the reason I was not changing my negative feedback was because the description still stated the quality was as good as OEM. Since she was misleading the customer, I didn't feel I could be in integrity and change my feedback, even though she offered me a refund. I wanted other users to know the description was misleading. I told her if she removed the statement in the listing that they were as good as the Nikon product that I would revise my feedback. The seller removed all statements that the product was as good as the original caps. Now that I don't feel she is misleading customers, I have revised my feedback to all positive. (Perhaps now the statements can go back to saying OEM quality again).

Glad there's at least one person here being pro consumer and trying to have sellers not mislead customers. Just because a product is cheap and from China doesn't mean it's ok to lie in the description.

David

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:23 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

Sounds like you where expecting to much from your $1.70. Next time don't be cheap and get the real thing and then you won't have anything to complain about.

Jul 21, 2012 at 08:30 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

Gee, what do you expect from cheap, direct-import goods? Tamron has produced good quality, modestly-priced lens caps for years that are a fine alternative for most lenses.

EBH

Jul 21, 2012 at 09:50 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

Maybe this will help you understand what you do to a Seller when you leave a low score feedback. When negative feedback is earned, it should be handed out. But when a Seller is willing to make good or issue a refund, negative feedback is unwarranted.

http://leavingfeedback.com/images/cartoon.jpg

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM
woos
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

Ughhh, stuff like this is why I don't sell on e-bay hardly at all anymore. You got a an item for under $2...the shipping on this stuff is usually free, too.

Proper course of action:
1. Take the pics you did, message the seller and say the caps are poor quality and that you aren't happy.
2. Give them a chance to prove themselves with some customer service...
3. Only if that falls through would you leave negative feedback.

Negative feedback right off the bad should only be left if the seller is malicious, ie, you order a laptop and they ship you a box of rocks, or if you can't resolve an issue otherwise. Etc. In this case, I guarantee even the mere mention of negative feedback would have gotten you a full refund. Then you'd have had lens caps for FREE and the seller would just be out a couple bucks (no big deal)--and they'd probably go examine their supplier for those caps.

Jul 21, 2012 at 03:55 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

woos wrote:
Ughhh, stuff like this is why I don't sell on e-bay hardly at all anymore. You got a an item for under $2...the shipping on this stuff is usually free, too.

Proper course of action:
1. Take the pics you did, message the seller and say the caps are poor quality and that you aren't happy.
2. Give them a chance to prove themselves with some customer service...
3. Only if that falls through would you leave negative feedback.

Negative feedback right off the bad should only be left if the seller is malicious, ie, you order a laptop and they ship you a box
...Show more

+1 to that. Some people just don't think. I pretty much gave up on ebay when they gave all the power to the buyer years ago.

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:43 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

I have to agree with the others. A negative feedback is not justified when you are offered a full refund. Also, you are brand new here and I think I want to leave you negative feedback for calling everyone assholes since the majority don't agree with your logic. A bit harsh in my opinion.

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:01 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

I have to be a voice of opposition here.

I have bought replacement caps and hoods from the East for a while.. And although not 100% the 'look' of OEM. I've never had an operational issue.

I'm finding it a little weird that if you had bought it from Nikon (whatever) 9/10 it would have been made 2 blocks away from the one you bought. So.......

6 of one... Half dozen of the other.

Jul 22, 2012 at 07:31 AM
mbpautz762
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

Oh ebay, how I don't miss thee...

I was going to type up something about about 5 negative feedbacks being the most ridiculous response ever, but seems I was beaten to the punch

I stopped selling on ebay after I got left negative feedback because the lens I sold front focused on the customer's camera. Not only did I offer a full refund including shipping (they wanted to keep it), but I tried to help them do an AF calibration (they wouldn't have any of that nonsense), AND I offered to send it back to the manufacturer in my name. No avail. That big red negative ruined an otherwise perfect track record and I noticed a decrease in sales immediately. I can't imagine someone leaving FIVE negative feedbacks

Jul 26, 2012 at 03:42 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

DaveyDonut = asshole

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:29 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

NikonGuyIsHere wrote:
DaveyDonut = asshole

I passed through Littleton six weeks ago and thought the people there were exceptionally nice. Why not change your venue to NYC or something so you don't give your hometown a bad name. And I'm not joking in the least.

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:01 PM
kinconorb
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

DaveyDonut wrote:
blah blah blah... What I want is what the listing was for, "This high quality center snap on lens cap is produced by the third party, but the quality is as good as the original ones." That's false advertising.

Exactly, I want a brand new Lexus for the price of one of them pow pow power wheels barbie corvettes.

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

I've always had good results with B&H's General brand. Tamron lens caps fit all lenses of that size. Probably 90% of my lenses/caps are mismatched.

I've been called much worse than "asshole" so it doesn't really bother me. However, I will heretofore look askance at any of DaveyDonut's posts.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM
JOSHUA.ABIOLA
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

This guy will never be a happy customer at Dunkin-Donut.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:25 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Why $1.70 Chinese LC-XX eBay lens caps suck

TSY87 wrote:
Ive had decent experience with generic lens caps. I usually put away the genuine nikon ones in the lens box so in case I ever sell the lens, I have the OEM genuine lens cap. The details really help the sale and id much rather lose a cheapo lens cap then a genuine one.

Hmm, let me try to take this thought to its logical conclusion:

I buy a 70-200VR2 and immediately put it away, and instead switch to a 70-300G Mk1 in case I ever sell the 70-200. I'd rather scuff by accident the cheapo sub-$100 70-300G than the $2000 70-200VR. Plus when I start selling having the lens in mint condition really helps

May I suggest that you enjoy the well fitting OEM cap that protects your expensive glass with less risk of falling off in the bag and scratching up your lens than the $1 cheap knockoff. And if you ever want to sell the lens and having an immaculate cap is important, just buy a spare LC-77 and keep it at home, and just attach it to whatever lens it is that you are selling to an anal-retentive buyer.

Back to the original topic: the OP is much better off buying a used genuine Nikon LC-xx cap for $5 from eBay than the $2 cheapo version. This is what I do every time I loose a cap, most recently a LC-67 a week ago. Fits like it is supposed to and costs 1/3 of the price of new, yet has the EXACT form, fit, and function. But of course, I don't insist that my caps be untouched by human hands.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.