Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · review my website round 2

dgillyerek

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · review my website round 2

Hi Everyone,

8 months ago I posted my website up for review and it received some pretty harsh but VERY helpful critiques. At the time I had only second shot one wedding (or maybe 2.. I forget). I had expressed that I was planning on second shooting a bunch this year. Well.. its halfway through the season roughly (I'm doing another 9 this year) and I'm looking forward to being ripped apart again (I think). I still have a long way to go in terms of creative shots, which I'm sure as you know can be hard when second shooting, and I'm still learning a ton of post production techniques. I know I have nothing on most of the posters here as I lurk often and have added half you guys to my google reader feed.

Anyway... lay it on me:
http://derekgilbertphotography.com/

Edited on Jul 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2012 at 07:21 PM
dgillyerek

p.1 #2 · review my website round 2

Meant to add I'm looking for critiques of the website and any pointers on things I can / should be doing when shooting or working in post.

Thanks!!

Jul 19, 2012 at 07:23 PM
dgillyerek

p.1 #3 · review my website round 2

Bump.. maybe my site is perfect now since no one is speaking up ;-p

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #4 · review my website round 2

Derek,

The website... I have an aversion to Wordpress 2010. Or 2011. To me it looks cobbled together and a bit unprofessional. It is the basic building block of a website, but it is kind of like leaving the floor as plywood instead of covering it in teak.

There are plenty of templates out there to be used with Wordpress. I would suggest finding a good one, slapping it onto your framework, and upgrading your look. Some of them are pretty cheap.

I will let the others speak to the photography.

Andrew

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:21 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · review my website round 2

I don't see your service area and/or location listed prominently.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · review my website round 2

It looks ok. Perhaps it could be better but given that many sites/blogs look the same i don't think you are at a disadvantage here as long as the work and the content are strong.

I would not enclose post. Keep them open. Let people get to the content with minimal clicks.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM
dgillyerek

p.1 #7 · review my website round 2

Andrew - I happen to like the 2011 wordpress because of its resize functionality especially in respect to mobile browsing. So I'll probably be keeping that for now. In the future I agree that it would probably be beneficial to upgrade but as a second shooter I can't really justify the cost nor time right now.

Diggler - thats a great point that I didn't think of. I will definitely update that..

Marcus - Thanks for the input! The big reason that I enclose post is really because I want larger pictures in my blog than most people display and that inversely effects load times / SEO etc... Might not be for everyone but I sort of like it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · review my website round 2

The people it will effect are your potential clients.

It works like this, a viewer will only click so many times on your site. The happy balance is where they can see the maximum amount without it being too much.

So if you had three post per page open by the time the viewer makes their second click they are now seeing six post.

By enclosing the post the second click get them into a single post, the third click out, the forth click into the second the fifth out etc etc. People get annoyed with sites they have to work too hard to see.

The net is pretty fast these days and an 850px wide shot can look great at 250 k or less. Even with multiple images three post a page should not slow the experience down,

Jul 26, 2012 at 05:15 PM
dgillyerek

p.1 #9 · review my website round 2

Thats a pretty solid point actually. I guess since for me the extra clicks aren't that big of a deal because of the way I tend to browse with tabs I thought the load of 5 images and a few clicks out weighted the click nuisance of the load time on 100+ images

I guess I never thought of it in terms of all the clicks though - or didn't weight as heavily at least. I'm going to explore other options maybe some sort of jquery scroll opener that loads content on demand or something.

Also - while I do agree with you that the web is fast now a days I have to disagree with you on load time. For instance my first post is ~50 images in the 200k and takes 21 seconds to load on my work connection. Granted that could be a limitation of my host but that is a significant amount of time. The simple solution I guess would be to cut down the amount of images or the size of them.

Thanks for the discussion. Interesting for sure.

Jul 26, 2012 at 05:33 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password