Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I need some feedback on how people carry two camera while shooting so that way I can carry 7D with 35mm + Flash mounted on one side and 5D with 70-200 + Flash on other side ?
I looked up on Amazon and came with Cotton Carrier and BlackRapid as two alternatives. Is there anything better out there ?

Jul 19, 2012 at 02:06 PM
SGallant
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

This thread was up recently, and the results prompted me to get the Spider Holster.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1113638/0?keyword=spider,holster#10633256

I couldn't be any happier. I run two bodies with battery grips 90% of the day. One will usually have a 24-70 the other 70-200. And its very possible both will have flashes on them at some point. Honestly, I don't even notice the cameras with this holder. It's as great as everyone said.

Jul 19, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I use cotton carrier. It looks ridiculous but it works. I may use a different system eventually but if I am hiking, riding a bike, or rock climb (I dont rock climb.. just saying if I ever do it ), then this system works the best because it is mounted on your body really close so it doesnt swing like black rapid and your center of gravity doesnt change much.

Jul 19, 2012 at 02:23 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I have not tried the Cotton Carrier but I've used the Black Rapid single straps, double straps and a Think Tank with spider holster. I keep going back to two single Black Rapid straps wore bandolier style across my chest.

Jul 19, 2012 at 02:24 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I just used the Spider Pro Dual Holster for the first time last weekend. I like it a lot. It allows me to truly feel hands free with no straps across my chest. Also, cameras don't swing when I walk and I feel safe crouching, kneeling, etc...

Jul 19, 2012 at 02:54 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

Re the Cotton Carrier - If you don't mind all the "SWAT" or "Army" jokes at weddings the camera held on the chest plate works great. I was less happy with the camera on the cotton carrier belt holster though. The way the camera with flash hung down from the holster made it very difficult to walk through reception crowds. That was my experience at least. If I had to do it all over again I'd try the Spider. But now I just shoot with one body and change lenses fast (using the Think Tank Lens Changer 3 bag) so it's a moot point.

Jul 19, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

Mitch, I put the other holster on the side of my chest attached to the vest.

Jul 19, 2012 at 03:32 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

Just a note on ergonomics and the human body....

Anything you wear that puts the weight primarily on your shoulders/upper body will eventually give you very negative effects.... back pain, foot pain, pinched nerves, numbness in hands and feet, headaches, etc.

Our cameras weigh a TON. Your back/upper body is not designed to support that much weight. That is why any good backpack has a waist belt that will take 90% of the weight off your back and transfer it to your waist. The straps on a proper fitting backpack should not even touch your shoulders on top... the straps are there for lateral support primarily.

I used to have all kinds of simple and fancy strap systems that went on my shoulders. Massive pain was the only thing I got after a couple years. I eventually talked with a sports medicine doctor and was urged to start wearing a belt system...
The belt system has been in effect now for 3 years and I have no negative effects from it other than it sometimes feels like it pulls my pants down a little.

Help your back, feet, and general well being and get a good belt system.

Jul 19, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

Interesting, Robin. And I do agree with you that it is the perfect solution for hiking and biking. That's why I haven't sold mine.

Jul 19, 2012 at 03:51 PM
bertpalmer

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

One blackrapid strap - but with connectors on both bodies.

Nobody can pull off a double strap.

Jul 19, 2012 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnrg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

When slinging 2 bodies I use a single Spider holster and a single Black Radid. Works great.

Jul 19, 2012 at 04:27 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

bertpalmer wrote:
One blackrapid strap - but with connectors on both bodies.

Nobody can pull off a double strap.

unless you are GI Joe

Thanks guys looks like carrying two camera at once is something which I'll need to learn no matter what solution I go with. But I like idea of think tank lens changer. That should make interesting option to look into. Is there any better/less expensive option to think tank lens changer ?

Jul 19, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I and many others here use the lens changer bags. I was blown away by the quality... incredible design and definitely built to last. With the lens changer 3 I keep lenses in two of the tubes and leave one tube empty, for lens changing. Thus, I have three lenses at any one time to shoot with. Makes lens changing super fast, safe and easy.

Jul 19, 2012 at 05:07 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I use two hands and the ground.

Jul 19, 2012 at 05:12 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

amonline wrote:

, very familiar with that method!

Jul 19, 2012 at 05:14 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

amonline wrote:

Mitch W wrote:
, very familiar with that method!

It's what I prefer. I've tried them all. Just can't bring myself to like anything better than that.

Jul 19, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I hated juggling lenses when making a change... a disaster waiting to happen for me. The lenschanger totally takes that out of the equation now. And much faster than anything I tried before. Maybe even as fast as switching to a second camera, at least when I used the Cotton. Not trying to convert you... everyone has to find what works for them.

Jul 19, 2012 at 05:34 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I work out of a bag for that part. I tried the lens pouch thing. It wasn't for me either.

Jul 19, 2012 at 06:59 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

I use a spider holster for 90% of my daily work, and it has been amazing. I have 2 herniated disks in my lower back, and using traditional straps would leave me in bad shape by the end of a long day. With the spider holster my back is in much better shape by the end of the day, and my shoulders aren't tore up either.

Spider Holster!

Jul 19, 2012 at 08:20 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Carrying 2 camera - Cotton Carrier or BlackRapid ?

johnrg wrote:
When slinging 2 bodies I use a single Spider holster and a single Black Radid. Works great.

Same set up... works great! I also use a TT Lens Changer 3 that I lay aside if I need to make any lens changes

Jul 19, 2012 at 08:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password