Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

just wondering.... what do people primarily use these lenses for? I understand the 17 and 24 for landscape/architectural uses, but wondering about the 45 and 90mm. are they geared towards other specific applications?

Jul 18, 2012 at 02:35 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

Copy and product photography mainly is my guess, but they are super sharp lenses and could also be great for landscape/city work (it's not all wide).

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:08 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

I am using them most of the time as straight lenses, using movements only if needed. The 90 is a superb short telephoto and close-up lens, and has amazing OOF areas. The 45 is an uber-normal: everything you could want in image control for a normal lens (except AF and IS). Yes, they are a bit bulky, but the images are beautiful.

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:21 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

I use the 90TSE together with the 17 and 24 exclusively for landscape. It's a killer lens for the compressed feeling.
Here is a sample: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1094588

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:38 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

The 90 T/S is one of my most used lenses. First choice for many product shots and for stitched copywork where I need a larger file than a straight shot will give me. I also use it for portraits if I need to alter the plane of focus. The 45 is a strange lens, as it's not at all in the same league as the other three. The 45 is pretty sharp in the center, but not 24 T/S II sharp, and the 45 is plagued by a huge amount of color fringing toward the edges that just should not be there on a lens like this. That being said, I use is for product shots and I've used it for portraits as well as urban landscape and an occasional architectural shot where a wide angle is not called for.

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:41 AM
rico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

On my 1Ds, I only use alternative lenses. However, the 90 TS-E is the one Canon lens I crave. Tilt movement at 90mm is ideal for product photography. I manage with a different T/S lens of 100mm, but it lacks auto-diaphragm capability. BTW, Google Images shows how people really use tilt/shift: creating landscape miniatures. Ridiculous.

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:40 AM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #7 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

I recently picked up a 90mm TS-E after borrowing a friends a number of times. I use it mostly for landscape work. I really like the ease of making 2.45 to 1 panos (a ratio I think is very pleasing) by shooting 3 images, full shift left, center, full shift right.... They merge perfectly and its quick and easy.

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:56 PM
gavin_emmons
• •
p.1 #8 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

I agree with the consensus on the 90mm TS-E lens... I use it for landscapes as well as macro shots. For the latter, using an extension tube and tilt functions offers great possibilities and depth of field control.

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:12 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #9 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

The 90 TS-E is Canon's secret weapon. Killer image quality and the versatility of tilt and shift, and, by today's standards, inexpensive. I use it for seascapes. Sharp (with tilt) from up close to the horizon, and pick any aperture you need for IQ and shutter speed to stop wave action. Nothing like it.

Jul 18, 2012 at 09:01 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #10 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

I use mine a LOT during engagement sessions when i want to have the couples faces in focus, and nothing else. Live view is a real help nailing it.
Never thought about using the 90 and stitching for a pano.. and I used my 24 also exclusivity for that!
Now i just need to get the 17.....

Jul 18, 2012 at 09:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #11 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

kodakeos wrote:
Never thought about using the 90 and stitching for a pano.. and I used my 24 also exclusivity for that!
Now i just need to get the 17.....

In mountain scenes a wide angle will make the mountains seem far less dramatic/impressive than the really are to the eye. The short telephoto FOV along the the DOF possible with the T/S really works well.

Jul 18, 2012 at 09:30 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #12 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

If I had those two lenses I could see myself using it for portraits and at times for landscapes.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

+1 What splathrop and others said re the 90 - marvelously adaptable lens.

I use both the 24 and 90 primarily for architecture, cityscapes, and landscapes. Combining the 90's telephoto compression with shift is useful to me. The 90 also gets used for the little bit of product work I do, and also flowers and stills. It is a wonderful flower lens.

I had a 45 ts-e but sold it to fund the upgrade to the 24 II. It was my least used ts-e, not sure why.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

i use all of the ts-e's for wedding and portrait. the 90mm is used the least.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #15 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

I use my 45 and 90 for shooting architectural details and occasionally a medium distance shot. Both are fantastic, but I think Canon may update these in the near future as they are going for considerably less than a year or two ago. So maybe they are on run-out special?

Jul 19, 2012 at 03:44 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

I took the 90 TS-E out today to work with landscape/architecture using the tilt and swivel, no shift. All shots were hand held and concentrated on details or vignettes. I used a combo filter rig I've been practicing with for some upcoming head shots: step up rings to 82mm CPL (to reduce f/stop and DOF) and Schneider Warm Black Frost 1/8 in Series 9 mount with Tiffen collapsible hood -- quite a cinematic looking lens assembly! Works great though, so I expanded my testing to the Thousand Oaks Civic Center.

Here's a pano of 4 horizontal images using tilt and 45 degree swivel toward the left. You might be able to see the softness in the upper tree on the right, but the sharpness in the window blinds underneath it, as well as all the foreground grasses. Same for the terraced flowers on the left -- slightly less in focus than the foreground and middle to lower picture frame. This a mild example of why tilt is often not usable in scenes with both horizontal planes (ground) and vertical planes (tall trees, tall buildings, or cliffs). There is no perfect solution, but you use the best tool with the best settings. It's all about choices, and that's why I like the TS-E lenses -- lots of choices.

Window reflection on a seemingly blank wall.
5D2, 90 TS-E, f/5.6 @ 1/80, ISO 200, hand held.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

Why am I putting my 90mm TS/E for sale? Maybe I should consider withdrawing the sale...... .

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

Really, Joshua? That is one of Canon's finest lenses, unless you are just pulling my leg, wanting to see me writhe in pain and photo-spasms!

Such a great lens! I'm torn on which to use on those head shots -- between the 90 with its lovely bokeh at f/2.8 or the Samyang 85 at f/2! Arrrrrgggg! Leaning toward the 90 with its tilt.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

Jim, I know that that lens is awesome but I didn't use it that much and I am in the consolidation mode if you know what I mean. But you know me, it doesn't take much to talk senses into me again.... .

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · 45 & 90mm ts-e lenses

Don't forget its fine close-up capabilities, bordering on macro without any extension tube -- and with extension tubes. . . Just sayin'!

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password