Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

cjwhitsett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

I just got a Sigma 70-200 OS at trade-in price for a discontinued EX lens that broke on me. I've never really interacted with a stabilized lens before, though, so I'm not familiar with some of the things it is doing and I wanna make sure everything is okay right out of the box. The main thing is that when I turn the stabilization on, the image in the viewfinder jumps and the lens makes a little bit of noise. The manual mentions the noise and the jump, but how often should it do this? ONLY when I turn OS on, or is it normal for the lens to do this periodically while shooting? So far it seems to also do it when I drop the camera and bring it back to my face, and every so often after taking a photo or quickly adjusting focus/zoom distance. It's not ALL the time or anything... I was just curious since I didn't know stabilized lenses jumped around like that. Kinda pathetic to make such a big purchase so blindly, but that's how it is.

Again, probably nothing to be alarmed about, but I just thought I'd ask.

-Collin

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

Yes, that seems normal. Are the images sharp?

EBH

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:25 AM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

It may do it anytime you press the shutter halfway down - that's just the stabilizer working.

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:31 AM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

Thanks for your responses.

EB--They look sharp on the camera LCD... Haven't thrown them onto my computer yet. Focus is smooth and accurate from what I can gather. Zoom and focus rings are a little stiff but I suspect they'll all loosen up with a little use. There's a very slight squeak with AF. But again; I bet it'll smooth out with use.

Roger--I'm glad you said that. The directions are not the most clearly written that I've ever seen. Reading them, I couldn't tell if it was suppose to activate only upon turning OS on or if it'd jump during half-presses and other adjustments.

Edited on Jul 18, 2012 at 01:41 AM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:36 AM
eaglescout

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

That sounds very normal for almost any image stabilizing lens. The jump you notice happens when the OS is initially activated, keeping the image in the VF steadier than you could without OS working. After you stop using OS it may take a second or two before the stabilizing effect is gone. Then when you reactivate it the image jumps again. It has nothing to do with the act of lowering the camera then raising it to your eye again.

The noise you hear (whirring or churning) varies from lens to lens. If it becomes too loud or sounds liike grinding you might have a problem.

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:39 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

Like everyone else said, it is the normal behavior for a Sigma OS. I am not sure how familiar you are with IS/VR/OS/VC (all the same thing from different companies) but each have a little bit of noise. Sigma incorporates the hypersonic motor in the 70-200 OS which should reduce noise, but not fully eliminate it. If you can, turn off the OS and see if you get the same noise.

I am not really sure why your viewfinder image is jumping enough for you to notice it. If you still are under the warranty/return period then see if you can return this for a replacement. Sigma has its fair share of quality control issues.

Jul 18, 2012 at 02:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GeorgeM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

I've got a Sigma 150-500 and it exhibits the same characteristics you describe, the noise and from time to time the image jumps in the viewfinder. I notice this jumping effect more when I have a very steady hold on the camera. Following a bird in flight, it doesn't do the jump thing but watching a Heron waiting for it to strike I will notice a twitch in the viewfinder. Think this is normal operation of the lens.

I've moved the focus function to the AF-ON button under my right thumb on the back of the camera and the half-shutter press activates the OS on the lens. For me, this works well with both the Sigma OS and Nikon VR lenses.

George

Jul 18, 2012 at 02:43 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

I've got that lens and the Canon 7-2 f4LIS. The Canon has the loudest IS system of any lens I've ever used. Works though. In any case, I'll pile on and say the behaviour you describe sounds normal.

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:07 AM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

Thank you all so much for the responses... I can sleep now.

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:15 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

cjwhitsett wrote:
? ONLY when I turn OS on, or is it normal for the lens to do this periodically while shooting? So far it seems to also do it when I drop the camera and bring it back to my face, and every so often after taking a photo or quickly adjusting focus/zoom distance. It's not ALL the time or anything... I was just curious since I didn't know stabilized lenses jumped around like that.

Again, probably nothing to be alarmed about, but I just thought I'd ask.

-Collin

Unless you are holding the shutter button half down or using the rear focus button ALL THE TIME then what you are seeing is the OS starting up againg. You might also get a jump when making a sudden movement .

The best way to see how stabilisation works is to go to live view and while holding the camera half press the shutter button. You will see the image become more stable for a few seconds and then go back to be quite jumpy.
If you don't have LV you can see it in the VF as well. It's what many call VF 'float'

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:51 AM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A super noob question about Sigma OS

If it's the last one released and not the Macro, I have that lens and it's great. It sounds like it's working properly and long as the images are very sharp on your computer. You should really enjoy using the OS.

Aug 02, 2012 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password