Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

ifxbonz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Hey guys, I'm looking for any information on T&I Green Screen Backgrounds such as which companies and websites are out there and what others are using and how the final product looks. Primarily football related for now but other sports related BR's are welcome.

Andy

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

I've used Bay Photo. They are very good but not sure they have the best price. Green screen can be a tough nut to crack. I used a back drop from B&H, one of those collapsible foldable thingys (like a reflector). It was big but the wrinkles were tough to get out. If I do it again, I'd use a paper roll. No wrinkles, cheap and throw it away if it gets trashed.

Don't forget the lighting, it's got to be spot on with no shadows on the background.

There is a company in Tennesse (Memphis?) that I saw in Vegas @ WPPI that had a very interesting product based on greenscreen and they had a killer deal on the extractions. I can't think of their name off the top of my head.

Hope this helps..

Ralph

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Tom Robinson

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Have you checked out Denny's? www.dennymfg.com

Are you planning to take these football pics indoors?
I've been thinking about the same thing as an alternative to resheduling on a rain day.

With that said, the only greenscreen I've done so far was on spec jobs at festivals in circus tents or indoors, where I had some control of the light and didn't have the volume throughput that I would normally see for T&I. In that situation I could spend the extra time needed to get it right. I'm not too comfortable with the process enough to try it on a large event but would welcome hearing from any people who have mastered this.
Tom

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

I use green screens for indoor football T&I with one of my youth organizations as well as for high school teams. I shoot the athletes individually, then stitch the team picture together using those images.

Pros: Takes less time on picture day, late arrivals can still be in the team picture, make-up day kids can still be in the team picture, kids in team pictures aren't making faces or flipping the bird, even lighting - even for very large groups

Cons: Takes longer for post-processing

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

The company I was thinking about will take your individual photo shot on green screen and do the extractions and build your group shot for you.just like James' with whatever background you want, or export the file to you or your lab to finish, or they'll finish it. They had some stunning samples!

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:55 PM
Tom Robinson

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

James,
That looks great, and it certainly would cut down on setting up my risers!
I'm doing delivery on-site and wouldn't have the time, but it's still something for me to think about.
I usually shoot outside for the outdoor sports. Where are you taking these?

Ralph,
Sorry, I haven't heard of a company that does that. Sounds like it might be a good thing to get into.

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:46 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Hey guys this is exactly where I wanted to go with this thread.

First of all Yes this would be indoors and the his is also high school level. I have the lighting I would need just not the experience with green screen and I haven't found a BR yet. Ralph if you could dig around I interested in having a company do most of the extractions and what you described sounds like what I'm looking for. I also really like what James has done. That could kill two birds. 1 for the team shot and 1 for the individual, and use different BR's for each all with the same image.

My lack of green screen exp worries me. The shoot is scheduled for late August. I could easily do a conventional Head/upper shoot with lockers in the BR, but I wanted something clean and reproducible. I have heard about the difficulties with GS and I 'm wondering If one month planning is enough time to get a good product on my first GS experience?

James, I'll pm you . your in my Back Yard. I would like to get a better idea of what this will take to pull off in a month.

Andy

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:20 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Andy,

Look up a couple of youtube videos via google, they all told me the same thing:
- light the greenscreen independently of the subject, with separation from greenscreen to subject so as to avoid bleeding.

I have a 15x9 greenscreen here with me in Southaven for the DD World series. I'm using FXhome Photokey Pro from tubetape.net for $150. We have a truss grid holding 4 lights: two on the middle of truss to hit the greenscreen, two on the front to hit the subject:

That gets me really good extraction shots that I just open in FPP, maybe touch a bit of the key'ing for extraction, then drop in whatever background I need. My subjects stand about even with the side lights.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to export a file with background removed so as to put it into photoshop for multiple image montages like James has.

Jul 18, 2012 at 09:11 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Andy... Not sure if this is the direction you want to go or not but greenscreening isn't necessary anymore. Just shoot a team any way you want and there are companies that extract it for you for like ten bucks regardless of background.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM
visnew

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Richmond Pro Labs does green screen extractions for ~25 cents. They also have a guide on how they like you to light the scene and a bunch of digital backgrounds. Richmond Green Screen info

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Paul,
I'm really not positive I want to do green screen with the shoot a month away. What type of BR's work best and what companies provide the service without GS. I'm thinking at least for this shoot and then have better time to research GS down the road. I have a locker room scene planned out, which I need to visit for my layout and room, or I have a digital BR planned out too.

Visnew,
I was originally planning to use Richmond's GS service. I currently use them for my standard prints and collages and already have an account there. Does Richmond accept my own BR?

Hammy,
Thanks that was some good info. Can you send me one or two final result. I would like to see what a final product looks like. My concern is that the final image gives too much of the cut out look.

Andy

I currently have 4 elinchrom 600 mono lights a 69" octa a 20 x30 modifier and shoot through umbrella +a backdrop setup and several stands. So if I need to add another 1 or 2 modifiers I should be all set. Then the decision to do green screen or not. I found a digital BR I like if I could use that with realistic results and not too much of a cut out effect I would be happy.

Jul 19, 2012 at 01:39 AM
bigfredtn
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

James Broome wrote:
I use green screens for indoor football T&I with one of my youth organizations as well as for high school teams. I shoot the athletes individually, then stitch the team picture together using those images.

Pros: Takes less time on picture day, late arrivals can still be in the team picture, make-up day kids can still be in the team picture, kids in team pictures aren't making faces or flipping the bird, even lighting - even for very large groups

Cons: Takes longer for post-processing

How long is your post processing?

Jul 19, 2012 at 02:38 PM
visnew

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Andy, Richmond will let you use your own background and I'm pretty sure they don't charge a setup fee like some other places.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

bigfredtn wrote:
How long is your post processing?

For a team this size I spend about 30-45 minutes.

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:43 PM
glort
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Hammy wrote:
We have a truss grid holding 4 lights: two on the middle of truss to hit the greenscreen, two on the front to hit the subject:

Hey Hammy,

Id be really interested to know more about your truss setup. DId you buy it or make it up yourself?

That would be perfect for the Charity Balls etc I'm shooting with green screen that I'm always freaking someone is going to knock the light stands over.
That would be much stronger and resistant to the "I'm paying more attention to my drink that anything else" crowd

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:05 AM
glort
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

ifxbonz wrote:
My lack of green screen exp worries me. The shoot is scheduled for late August. I could easily do a conventional Head/upper shoot with lockers in the BR, but I wanted something clean and reproducible. I have heard about the difficulties with GS and I 'm wondering If one month planning is enough time to get a good product on my first GS experience?

Mate, I did my first greenscreen Gig with a few days experience and didn't have a problem.
Matter of fact, My "experience " was to get a bit of flat board, get an off the shelf sample pot from the hardware store of lime green paint, and shoot my daughter in front of it using 1 light.

It wasn't perfect but it was enough to let me know how to work the software. That was about Wednesday night. Saturday Night was shooting a large 21st for my Niece that really wanted a photo booth, but I thought I could do a lot better than that. I guess I did OK given 2 of her friends and their parents booked me to do their up coming parties and the comments I got were almost never ending. Most people thought I was joking when I said I had never done it before.

I shot and printed over 200 Pics on the night all by myself and didn't have any trouble. I also used a heap of different backgrounds to drop in for variety. I Have since done Corporate and charity events of 800+ people ( My 2nd, 3rd etc outings wth GS) and when you have the same background and can batch the images, they are so much faster still.

Like Hammy I am using Photokey, version 4 in my case but I believe 5 has recently come out.
It's easy and and I find it's very forgiving. I get creases all the time where people walk on the BG and I don't even pull them out now. Maybe I'm getting the lighting even enough but I can plainly see the creases behind the people but they just don't show in the pics.

I too read that the BG needs to be perfect as well as the lighting but I found there is a heck of a lot more tolerance n it than what's made out. I pretty much set my lighting up, do some tests for the amount of removal required and that's it. I might get 4-5 difficult shots over the course of a night that need a fraction fiddling mainly due to the clothing colour but that's it. Last time out was another parts with about 250 people and we shot and printed about 400 5x7s on the night. I had too rather ancient laptops as work stations and another equally tired laptop as a server and we knocked it over, again with about 10 Different backgrounds for variety and effect in under 4 hours.

I have been thinking of having something like spring loaded poles to hold the material tight across the width. One at the front edge closest to where I stand, another at the back where the vertical meets the floor and I can clamp it tight at the top of the stands. LIke I say though, I find the software is very good with the wrinkles etc.

What I have been on top of is making sure the background screen is well and evenly lit and that I have the people well forward of it and no splash light. People do tend to walk to the back of the screen so after the last job I bought some 4ft hight reflective bollards. I plan to put them at the side of the screen where people walk on with some tape and a big laminated sign with an arrow saying something like stand this side on the screen where the black dot is. Maybe I could even get some material, dye it green and barricade that part of the screen right off!

I really don't know why you want to send the things out to be isolated. Photokey is damn easy to use, does a great job and is fast.
I was reading on another forum about a similar thing. A T&I guy was stressing about the work in printing over a week, less pics than I and most event guys do in a Day/ night as a matter of course. When you are set up and have things in place, it' is NOT hard or time consuming at all.

I'm doing a type of school photography now and shoot during the day up to 300 Kids and come home and print the packages consisting of 3 8x12 prints per kid in about 3 hours and have them all done with some help from my wife packaging the things. OK it's not greenscreen but that -may- add an hour to the deal, if that.
As far as having a month to learn, that's about 3 weeks longer than you could possibly need IMHO.

I'm about to try doing green screen shots underwater to see how that goes. If I can make that work, I'll be on to something I reckon I can turn into a pretty nice little earner.

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:39 AM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Cool thread. Subscribed

Jul 21, 2012 at 02:59 AM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Glort,
This might be a dumb question but like I said with my lack of GS experience....

Are you shooting you key light and fill light on reduced strobe lighting or is your light level set to constant modeling light, like the GS BR lighting is?

Andy

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:01 AM
glort
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

Depending on the space I have ( Because I have had to set up in some small spaces!) I generally pick a number (F8 is a nice number! ) and dial the flash power on the heads to suit. Being old school I have a flash meter so set the lights to give me the output I need. I set both lights to the same output and try to get the light as even as possible.

I have found flat lighting is not Neccasary but it is a benefit when shooting groups where highlights and shadowed lighting can cause dark areas. It's also good to have the lights up above the subjects so the light can get in over the top and not cause shadowing.
To make sure I have no shadows on the background I try to get those lights about 1 stop hotter than the subject lights.

For constant light for stills, you'd need thousands of watts. Constant light is more for video although with the new compact fluros I believe some people are using it for stills.
I wouldn't. If you have ever seen how freaking bring those things are at the level you need them, it would make people cringe and definitely undermine the experience. It would most likely kill the Ambience of a lot of venues as well.

With Lighting, I have noticed one prominent company that is doing a lot of GS corporate events has set up a Road case they mount the camera, a flash with a softbox and the printer and computer inside to Make a single unit station.
Looking at the pics of this, They are definitely not using any lighting on the background at all and stand the subjects quite close. In some shots where they are doing full length, It appears they use a 2nd light on the floor as well as the main flash that is set up about 7 ft overhead.

I have never tried this but given this company is doing a load of these events and the images from their engagements they post online look very good, It's certainly something I'm going to test and would think it would be good for you to try too.

Thinking back to my first test, I did get about 90% of it right with one light off to the side so with a bit of careful placement and testing, maybe this can be made to work a whole load simpler than what most people have been lead to believe.

Being able to set up a rolling case to mount one or 2 lights and have all the hardware contained in it would certainly simplify and improve the professional appearance of my gear not to mention making it so much quicker to set up and tear down.

Jul 22, 2012 at 03:06 AM
glort
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · T&I Sports related Green Screen BR

BTW,

Anyone know where there are any free downloadable backgrounds available?
I'm interested in anything quality really.

Jul 22, 2012 at 03:13 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password