Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom 4.1 printing problems / help please

Trux

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 4.1 printing problems / help please

Is anyone having trouble printing from the LR4 or 4.1 Print module?

With a satisfactory image on my monitor I go to the print module in LR4.1 and the print comes out dark and without the color saturation shown on the monitor. This is especially frustrating because I am using Dell's U2410 monitor (fairly new); it came with the factory calibration report. Anyway the colors match just fine. Matt K. from Kelby Training tutorial said LR allowed for this problem by adding a brightness and contrast slider in the print module, and that he usually bumps them up to about 20 to achieve the brightness and color richness shown on his monitor. I've bumped the sliders up to 82 and 84 respective to brightness and contrast and still get rather dull lack luster prints (yes I'm using epson paper, coordinated with that paper setting on my epson printer, and set to photoshop handles color).

I've since gone back to printing from CS5 and immediately the rich color is back, but the brightness needs to be bumped up a bit. Also CS5 is not as friendly to work with the borders.

I would prefer not to have to edit out of lightroom if possible. Am I donig something wrong, or just go ahead and print from CS5? But what about the whole concept of a calibrated monitor, and getting on the print the image you see on the monitor?

Does anyone have any suggestions or help? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2012 at 09:25 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 4.1 printing problems / help please

Factory calibration is seldom accurate or current. You need to begin by getting a hardware-based calibrator and creating a display profile.

Then make sure you have the correct paper/ink profiles for the printer/paper/ink combination you are using.

Then make sure you have turned OFF the printer manages color setting in the printer driver.

Then make sure Lightroom is pointed at the correct paper/ink profile.

Then make a print. Then you can see about using the adjustment sliders in the print module. But you're just guessing and will have totally random results if you don't have a color-managed workflow.

<Chas>

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Trux

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 4.1 printing problems / help please

Thanks Chas,

Just ordered Data Color's Spyder 4 Pro. I've been doing everything else you discussed, so maybe the Spyder 4 Pro will correct the problem. Thanks for replying!

Trux

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:56 AM
unknown_photog

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 4.1 printing problems / help please

@Trux, if you are getting good prints from Photoshop and not from Lightroom, then your calibration is not the problem (although you should ALWAYS be calibrated).

The brightness in print is almost always bumped up, but the colors should be saturated. The only thing I can think of is that Photoshop is converting it to your printers space, and lightroom isn't. To be honest I've never printed using Lightroom so I can't tell you exactly what it's doing.

Check to make sure that you are giving your printer control of your printing profile and see if that helps.

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:43 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password