Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Buyer be warned. Craiglist type scams

Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buyer be warned. Craiglist type scams

Hi,

I recently posted my Canon 200 f/1.8 lens for sale here on FM. We have all come to expect foreigners from Nigeria to try and scam us with their stories . . .

I played along with this guy from Russia to learn the game he was playing. Obviously you don't need to be too bright to know this guy was wanting to scam me. anyhow our dialogue.

To: Grantland
Date: Jul 10, 2012
Subject: 200/1.8

I have a great interest in buying this lens, was looking for this type of proposal for several years. I live in Russia, but have a friend in America who could make a payment and take the lens. Is it a possible variant for you?

Regards,
Alexander

To: alextitov75
Date: Jul 10, 2012
Subject: Re: 200/1.8

Yes that would work. Let me know what you are thinking.

Thanks,

Grant

To: Grantland
Date: Jul 11, 2012

wonderful, please let me know how my friend could contact you, his name is Leo Basil, he is from NY.

regards,
Alex

To: alextitov75
Date: Jul 11, 2012
we will need to get on this for i have two other people wanting to buy the lens.

send me his cell phone # and I will call him to make arrangements.

thanks,

grant

i see, I'll send it to you ASAP as he confirms the number to me, plase wait a couple of hours.

Alex

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:00 PM
netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buyer be warned. Craiglist type scams

How do you know this is a scam?

I had a similar set of PM's of a guy from Brazil recently with zero feedback here. He had a lady friend in Texas that he wanted me to deal with. I contacted her. She paid me with Paypal. I shipped her the lens to her verified address. I did a little googling first. Turns out she runs a jewelry business and imports jewelery from Brazil. Occasionally she brings this guy Canon glass when she is down there. It's been months since - no issues. In fact the guy dropped me a couple of PM's since just to say hi and tell me about his travels. Nice guy - gave him great feedback.

I'm not saying it isn't a scam. Vet this for sure. I did some googling. I talking to this lady in person. I made sure her address was actually where she lived. I also googleing the FM buyers username because often people use the same username on multiple sites and I found him on a few other posts elsewhere.

If this is your guy it looks like he buys a lot of photo gear on eBay:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=alextitov75&ftab=AllFeedback

And it looks like he shots the Canon 5D2:
http://www.youtube.com/user/alextitov75

Jul 17, 2012 at 06:24 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buyer be warned. Craiglist type scams

well,

1. first post every on FM
2. no feedback (i understand everyone starts from the same place)
3. "i'll get back with you in a couple hours" after I asked for his phone # i never heard from him again.

when your new to a forum like FM you need to follow through on what you say. if not, big red flag.

looks suspicious to me

grant

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buyer be warned. Craiglist type scams

I don't know, nothing in there really screams scammer to me. If he gets back to you and completes a flawless transaction, good for him. If not, you just sell to someone else.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buyer be warned. Craiglist type scams

lol, maybe i am just paranoid. obviously i would talk by phone and get more information before i sold an item over $3k.

why a scam? when i asked for the telephone # he quietly went away and never got back with me. his two hours has turned into two days and i bet it will become two weeks.

no worries.

Jul 17, 2012 at 09:32 PM
netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buyer be warned. Craiglist type scams

Good luck with the sale.

You have the right to deal with who you feel the most comfortable dealing with. Some complexities may not be worth your time. A good international buyer will understand that and will try to make it as easy as possible and be willing to reassure you and answer any pointed questions you may have without offense.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password