Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

I'm looking for a decent ballhead that just has a flat base with a 1/4"-20 screw on the top that I can screw anything onto. I've got one with a quick release plate but I'm thinking about buying a travel tripod and don't want to worry about keeping a plate on the bottom of my camera. It would usually just have a Nikon D700 and 24-70 on it. Any suggestions?

Jul 17, 2012 at 03:00 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

something like this??

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BH-30-PF&type=3&eq=&desc=BH-30-PF%3a-Compact-ballhead-with-Platform&key=it

Jul 17, 2012 at 06:55 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

=) Thank you. I looked and only found super flimsy ones or a couple that were in the $300-$400 range. Way more than I want to pay for a travel setup.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:25 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

I just got a Manfrotto 732cy carbon fiber set of legs and put an old Giotto's ball head on it that I had laying around. I like the combination and the legs are very light. They don't go real high, but I was going for something very light since I have plenty of sturdy ones that go up high if I need them. Re: ballheads, it really depends on the price range you are looking for.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:36 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

the thing I'd be concerned about is keeping the camera/lens perpendicular while screwing it down on the 1/4". You certainly dont want to strip the D700 socket.

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

howardm4 wrote:
the thing I'd be concerned about is keeping the camera/lens perpendicular while screwing it down on the 1/4". You certainly dont want to strip the D700 socket.

Agree, I think it's a big mistake if not using clamps and plates.

Jul 17, 2012 at 09:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

eSchwab wrote:
I'm looking for a decent ballhead that just has a flat base with a 1/4"-20 screw on the top that I can screw anything onto. I've got one with a quick release plate but I'm thinking about buying a travel tripod and don't want to worry about keeping a plate on the bottom of my camera. It would usually just have a Nikon D700 and 24-70 on it. Any suggestions?

You should use a dedicated camera or lens plate (preferably Arca compatible). It's is simple to remove the plate in ten seconds if necessary. An L bracket is desirable for vertuicals and practically necessary when a ball head is used on a tripod without center column.

EBH

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM
DearDuck

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

I agree too, it is a big mistake not using clamps and plates.

Please remove or hold your camera equipment and make sure the security of camera equipment every time when you move the tripod or transfer the ballhead.

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:37 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

eSchwab wrote:
=) Thank you. I looked and only found super flimsy ones or a couple that were in the $300-$400 range. Way more than I want to pay for a travel setup.

You could go with one of the Leica heads, which are sturdy but very compact. In an even smaller size, you could put a 1/4-20 platform on a RRS BH-25 or BH-30, which will keep the price down.

Something to consider: Though a D700 + 24-70 isn't especially demanding in focal length, it is in weight. A heavy lens without a tripod collar will be more cumbersome to use than an even heavier lens that can be properly balanced. Because of this, it's really helpful to have a larger ball with more gripping surface.

To keep costs down, you might consider something from Photoclam, which gets good reviews around here.

Jul 22, 2012 at 09:55 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

Manfrotto 486. A solid vanilla ballhead. Max weight of 13lbs.
http://www.manfrotto.com/486-compact-ball-head

And I happen to have one up on ebay since I switched to an RC2 system.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ballhead with 1/4"-20

The threads on a D700 are stainless or titanium. It would take a good deal of effort to strip them.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:05 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password