Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need help getting the right tripod

rebelshooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help getting the right tripod

Hey all,
Looking at getting my first real tripod and not really sure what I need.
Right now I am shooting a 7D with a 70-200 Mk II as my only long lens.
However I am looking to get a 100-400 to add to it shortly.
But, I want it to be able to handle the eventual addition of a 300 2.8 and a 500 4.0.
I do have a tripod currently and it does a decent job for what I want, occasional moon shots or family pics, but wanting to do more wildlife and that will include a Yellowstone and Grand Tetons trip in the spring. I am strictly a hobbyist at the moment so cost is an issue, but I have no issue spending the money on a quality piece.

Thanks in advance

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:37 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help getting the right tripod

Look to buy used...Gitzo. An older model, the 1325 Carbon Fiber can be had for about $300...I am going on your info that you want to be able to shoot with a 500mm F4 on a tripod...so I am listing models that are slightly larger than you would currently need...

I like three section tripods (rather than four) - that extra section gets to be a pain to open time after time (and then close) - it is just one extra step but...

If you want to buy new, look to other brands, especially Benro and Induro.

I like this one from Benro:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENRO-C3770T-Carbon-Tripod-Work-w-o-Center-Column-EXPRESS-SHIPMENT-/310414939733?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D671823848922807475%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26

eventually you will need a ball head too...again look to buy used - and save the money for a trip; investing etc.

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:43 PM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help getting the right tripod

I made a similar request for advice last year.
Basically received the advice above, and now love my used Gitzo 1325.
I also bought a used AS B1 ballhead which works well. I rented a 500 f4 and had no issues, although now my heaviest setup is a 400 f4.
No need to buy this stuff brand new.

Edited on Jul 18, 2012 at 01:01 AM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:47 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help getting the right tripod

Thanks for the advice guys.
I want something that will suit my future needs as well as my current one so that was great.
But I hear that the ballhead is just as or more important than the tripod itself. Any advise there?

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help getting the right tripod

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1132327

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:00 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help getting the right tripod

rebelshooter wrote[/
I am strictly a hobbyist at the moment so cost is an issue, but I have no issue spending the money on a quality piece.

So what is your budget?
Quality to some could mean a $300 setup. To others a minimum of $1000 for your expected gear.

Jul 18, 2012 at 06:42 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help getting the right tripod

If you want to do it right from the start:
For a 500f4 you'll want a Wimberley Gimbal Head and Gitzo 5-series Tripod.
$600 + $1000

It may be overkill for a 100-400.

Jul 18, 2012 at 06:50 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help getting the right tripod

rebelshooter wrote:
But I hear that the ballhead is just as or more important than the tripod itself.

You don't want to use a ballhead for a 300f2.8 or 500 lens.
Unless you add a a Wimberley Sidekick.

Jul 18, 2012 at 06:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help getting the right tripod

If you want to do it right from the start:
For a 500f4 you'll want a Wimberley Gimbal Head and Gitzo 5-series Tripod.
$600 + $1000

Yes I want to do it right, but that IS out of my budget. I was hoping to be able to get it done for $500-$600.

You don't want to use a ballhead for a 300f2.8 or 500 lens.
Unless you add a a Wimberley Sidekick.

And this is the kind of info that is very valuable to me. I was not aware of this.

Jul 18, 2012 at 07:17 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help getting the right tripod

Checkout this thread on gimbal heads: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1129180
And: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1105558

Jul 18, 2012 at 07:49 AM
rdcny
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help getting the right tripod

Look - you do not need to spend the kind of money some folks recommend here.

You do NOT (emphasis mine) need a series 5 tripod...Sure you can get it (and spend $600-800) but it would be overkill for your needs. It is also heavy...you may not want to carry it very far...

There is much equipment, if you read around here at FM, that is 100% fine...and does not cost an arm and a leg. There are more important things in life to spend the money on.

Here is a Gimbal Head for $100 - I use it, and it works fine (I use it with an 800mm F5.6 Canon and a 500 F4 Canon) - no problems:

http://www.linkdelight.com/PK003-Gimbal-Tripod-Head-BK-45-Camera-Ball-Head-for-Tele-Lens.html

here is a nice discussion about that $99 Gimbal Head (Beike BK-45):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum//forum/topic/1105558/-1

Please do more research before you spend any money...otherwise you will end up buying twice...a common mistake that folks make...

Decide if you need a Gimbal Head or a ballhead...my guess is that a ballhead would be fine. Of the ones available for a reasonable price, look for a used Markins or used Kirk...about $300 is a rough estimate.

And with the money you save there, you could then get the $100 Gimbal...Pass on the Wimberley Sidekick - overpriced.

OR you could spend $1000 - I don't care - it is your money.

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

Jul 18, 2012 at 07:23 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help getting the right tripod

I use this tripod with a RRS BH-55 for up to 400mm... Ebay is your friend, but don't forget to check the buy & sell here... http://www.feisol.net/feisol-threesection-tripod-ct3371-with-tripod-p-1.html

Jul 18, 2012 at 08:07 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help getting the right tripod

Yes Old Rattler speaks with true tongue: the buy/sell forums here are an excellent means of acquiring equipment, and when one "grows out of it" - a means to sell as well.

Outside of some truly awful stuff (read about and avoid), great photos can be made with ordinary equipment - it comes down to the drive and thought of the photographer. Put your energy and money there - you just need the basics. Your aim is to make photos that you like...that mean something to you - Acquiring gear is fun and all of us like to try new things...it is easy to forget why we need the gear in the first place.

Jul 18, 2012 at 09:24 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need help getting the right tripod

I searched for a long time until I finally figured out the perfect combo for me.

I wanted something light, only 3 leg sections, ball head, the ability to get really low to the ground, independent leg adjustments, and an adjustable lateral arm for macro shots.

I finally ended up with the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 carbon fiber tripod and the Manfrotto MAMH055M0Q5 ballhead. Total setup cost a little bit over 600 dollars, but that's with a heavier duty head, with a cheaper head you could do it for 450-500.

I have been extremely pleased, overall much better than the Giottos that I had before, although I have to say that the Giottos is a great bang for the buck, but it was a pain to use with the twist locks and 4 leg sections. Above all else make sure the tripod works for you, if you don't like how it works you won't use it, and then it really is a waste of money.

I am sure you could get a better setup with more money but I think past this it gets to the point of diminishing returns. I really liked the gitzo explorer series, but simply couldn't justify that amount of money for what seemed like marginal benefits over the manfrotto.

Jul 18, 2012 at 09:33 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need help getting the right tripod

A ball head and 500 f/4 lens can be very awkward if you have significant subject motion, eg birds in flight, running animals. I found for slow or relatively stationary objects a sturdy ball head was ~ok. If you are photographing a grazing bison or moose in the Tetons, the gimbal is not going to be required.
I think if I had known about the knock off gimbals, I would have purchased one, but right now I am doing ok with a good ball head.

At $80, I think the knock off gimbal (if it works as discussed) is a no brainer. Add a used gitzo for ~$300 and you will be giddy.

Jul 19, 2012 at 01:05 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need help getting the right tripod

Check out the Feisol CF Gimbal ($459) if you need that mount. They have a Traveler tripod and ball head for under $500, and comes with a plate.

Link to Feisol

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:48 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password