Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

Shiva dancing
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

After a first year and a half of diving into the world of dSLRs with a T2i, I have gathered a set of lenses that I lack polarizing filters for. At this point, I would like to get polarizers for most, if not all, of the recent acquisitions, which include:
1. 28mm lens (55mm filter diameter), used for landscapes
2. 35mm lens (58mm diameter), used frequently for general purpose and landscapes
3. 70-200 zoom (67mm diameter), used for people shots, street shots, land and city scapes
4. 100mm macro (67mm diameter), used primarily for flower/plant/bug macros, some portraits
5. 400mm f 5.6 (77mm filter diameter), used for birds and Yellowstone Park wildlife

I'm debating whether to get one large 77mm CPL (to save money) and use step-up rings for the smaller diameter lenses, but I am hesitant to do this given that using one CPL with rings might be too much of a hassle. Alternatively, I could get 2 or 3 CPL's so that there is less hassle RE use of the step-up rings.

The one size I am hesitating on is the 77mm CPL for the 400mm lens. The few times I have sensed that I could use one is in shooting antelope/buffalo/elk in grassy areas with bright light. How many of you wildlife folks rountinely use a CPL for such subjects/conditions with this lens? Would it be worthwhile getting a CPL for this lens given the 5.6 aperture?

Your thoughts and advice are most welcome!
cheers, Steve

Edited on Jul 17, 2012 at 04:33 AM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

Step up rings make using the standard hoods impossible and make it a pain to switch filters. I tried cheaping out like that in the 70s and was burned more than once by not being ready, having filters stuck, etc. Then if a filter fails you have nothing.

EBH

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:24 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

Thanks EB! Always good to learn from others. I'm leaning towards starting with a 67mm CPL for the 2 lenses that use it, along with trying the 58mm CPL with one step ring for the smaller 28mm lens as an experiment to see how that goes.
I would still appreciate hearing from others RE use of a CPL with the 400mm f5.6, to learn if the CPL is cutting off too much light for this particular lens.

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:59 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

I assume your 70-200 is the f4? The f2.8 has a 77mm filter thread... I am curious to hear others responses as well; I got the 77mm polarizer for my 70-200 but have not used it yet... Mostly shooting sports though. Although my recently acquired 10-22 is also a 77mm.

Paul

Jul 17, 2012 at 03:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

Howdy Paul,
Yes, my 70-200 is the f4 IS with 67mm thread.

Jul 17, 2012 at 04:05 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

It is awkard to use a screw on polarizing filter with the 70-200 (f4) with hood since the hood does not connect to the filter, but the body. so you either reach in and turn the filter, or simply leave the hood reversed. So a step up ring is not unreasonable, but limiting since you cannot place the hood in the forward position at all.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:52 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thoughts on choosing polarizing filter set?

I tried cheaping out, and gave up. Now I've filters to fit every lens. Granted, polarizers are a bit difficult using a hood, but it can be done using a bit of care to avoid fingerprints on the filter.

Jul 21, 2012 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password