Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Eli Fanti

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

So first of all, HELLO EVERYONE

This is my first post and I want to start off with a couple of images. On saturday I just received my new Tamron 17-50 for my Pentax K20D and that motivated me to try the f/2.8 for some portraiture shots. Actually I have never done portraiture so this was really my first try. Actually I am pretty pleased by the sharpness of the lens even at f/2.8 (it does not even become noticabely sharper at f/5.6).
During the shooting I actually felt a little helpless regarding the poses of the model. In the end however we managed to come up with a couple of different ones. I really like all of these but if I had to choose I would pick #1,2,3. Unfortunately I cut her hand in #4. In #5 and #6 it is the captured moment that makes the picture in opinion - yes we had quite some fun and isn't that the most important after all?!

C&C is very welcome!

Edited on Aug 13, 2012 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2012 at 07:46 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Welcome to FM, and best wishes as you continue to grow. I have two comments on posing and composition on your preferred images. First, all of these are cropped too tightly. Your subject needs some "room to breathe". I know that sometimes in our urge to obtain critically sharp focus, we tend to get in too tightly and not establish enough context for the portrait; that's what is probably going on here. So give her some more room. Second, the first and fourth images look like she's listening for something within the tree. Is the tree speaking to her? I doubt it. So try for a more natural pose, even if the tree is going to be in it.

Thanks for posting, and I hope these comments help you.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:47 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Funny how opinions vary. I think these are good. A Tight crop is good for portraits. Help to center attention on the subject and not the background.I know it is a tree, no need to show any more. Avoid the missing fingers( lower hand) and upper hand in #4. Upper missing hand is easy to fix by a tighter crop into hair line. Lower just PS in the bark to cover fingers and you got a good photo.

The model pose will come with practice and depends on the model. Some have lots of ideas while others return to the same position no matter what you say or where they are at. These are not bad for a start.

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:23 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.1 #4 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

I agree with Steve that these shots were cropped too tight. Also the focal length used creates too much distortion when taken so close to the subject. When framing this tight it helps to have a longer lens to minimize the distortion. I tend to only shoot the 35-40mm focal length for full body or environmental portraits. #2 is my favorite of the set.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Welcome to the forum. The pictures are a very nice start.

You have some good expressions and some nice poses.

Everyone does the "stand in front of the tree" shot. The trick is to have the girl the focus of attention rather than the tree. HOW you do that is up to you - DOF, size etc.

Another minor point - If you can position the trees behind her, but not the bright patch of sky (See #2, #3, #5 & #6), the model will stand out more.

Keep posting and have fun here.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

One final note from me: if you look carefully, there's a noticeable green tint to her skin. That results from light reflecting off of and picking up the color of the surrounding foliage. When using just "natural" light, there's not much you can do to avoid that in camera; but in post processing you should try to correct it in the skin tones.

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:38 AM
Ian Boys
• • •
p.1 #7 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

good job

Jul 17, 2012 at 09:33 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #8 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

First thing I noticed was the green color cast. Investing in something like a Whibal card would eliminate the guesswork.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:31 PM
jnoll1951

p.1 #9 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

These are beautiful photographs.You did an excellent job in posing your model,the lighting is wonderful.Thanks for sharing your talent with us.(IMHO)

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #10 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Hi and welcome to FM. I think you did a really nice job connecting with the model and you brought out some fun and interesting expressions. That's more than half the battle - so job well done. Many on here gush when they see beautiful people in decent photos, but what I admire is the connection that is made with people.

The subtleties like recognizing white balance issues and backgrounds will come with experience, but what many experienced and technically solid photographers fail to do is what you did in this first post; that is, you captured personality.

Jul 18, 2012 at 02:22 AM

Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

I like #2 and #3, others not so much due to either distracting bark on tree or too tight a crop. YMMV

Jul 19, 2012 at 07:08 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

The green cast has been mentioned. Also consider touching up the bags under her eyes.

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:53 AM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #13 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

You picked your lighting very well! At first glance I could have sworn fill was used for #5 and #6... Quite an impressive first effort!

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #14 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Great beginning! I really like the shots in the field. The shallow depth of field makes her "Pop". The contrast and detail in the tree compete for my eye, and I don't think that these are as strong. Also, the tree reflected light puts a greenish color cast on her face. The colors are better in the field shot.

But, VERY NICE!

Bob
http://www.deinfaces.com/

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:34 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Outdoors skylight comes from such a steep overhead angle that eyes wind up shaded to some degree unless the subject is looking upward. She's got very deep set eyes which exaserbate that problem. The solution? Raise the camera higher, then have the subject look up. The sensor and face planes will be similar but there will be better light in the eyes.

Compare the facial angles in this series. Some (2, 3, and 6) look balanced and flattering. In others the far side of the face is narrow and making the face look lopsided and the nose more prominant. Pose the face to the light the move around the face to find the most flatering balance between near and far side. Faces vary in shape. If the chin is narrow or receeding you may need to show more skin beyond the eye in the oblique views than with a face with a wider jaw. If you move the camera an inch or so either side of profiing the eye it will be easy to see what is most flattering by comparison.

Also in comparing the shots notice how shooting distance changed the appearance of the face. As the camera moves closer the size of the nearest object (nose) gets distorted. So rather than selecting distance based on in-camera crop look at the face from different distances (start close and walk backwards) then when the most flattering distance is found pick the focal length needed for the desired in-camera crop, or crop when editing. I start from a baseline of around 8ft. which I find flatters most faces.

Jul 20, 2012 at 08:41 PM
Kohala
• •
p.1 #16 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Love the tight crop. Agree about the green tint, which is easily corrected post-processing.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #17 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

i agree about the focal length being a bit too wide on some of these.... watch out for the wide angle.

a pretty easy adjustment tho

Jul 21, 2012 at 02:45 AM
JeffG
• • •
p.1 #18 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

consider picking up an 85mm to add to your kit. the wide angle you have is fine, and is what i used in studio a lot on aps-c sized sensors but an 85mm will help a lot

i would also recommend you start reading or looking at a lot of magazines - photography, FHM/Maxim style, etc. really study the images. if you are anything like i was, you will find it easier to pose your subject after a few months.

look at the images you enjoy then evaluate why you enjoyed them. i took a lot of inspiration from Bambi Cantrell in my work

Jul 21, 2012 at 05:22 AM
David Levett
• •
p.1 #19 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

Looks pretty solid for a 1st attempt at portraits. Keep practicing, and take the advice of some of these folks

Jul 21, 2012 at 05:30 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · First Portraiture Shoot + Available Light

ESC in KC wrote:
Hi and welcome to FM. I think you did a really nice job connecting with the model and you brought out some fun and interesting expressions. That's more than half the battle - so job well done. Many on here gush when they see beautiful people in decent photos, but what I admire is the connection that is made with people.

The subtleties like recognizing white balance issues and backgrounds will come with experience, but what many experienced and technically solid photographers fail to do is what you did in this first post; that is, you captured personality.

Well said!

+1

Jul 21, 2012 at 04:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password