Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I am not sure if there is a thread for this already but I thought it is a good idea to create a list of things that 2nd shooters do that you love or hate. This list will be beneficial for newer photographers like my self who love to second shoot.

I hate it when my 2nd shooter shoots only a few steps from me during B&G posed shots. So I get bunch of photos of B&G barely not looking at the camera (they are looking at my camera). No point of me using his/her photos since it is almost identical to mine and they are actually looking at me. I rather the 2nd shooter shoot it from a completely different angle and the B&G look like they are looking away on purpose.

What is yours?

Edited on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2012 at 07:26 PM
mcarriere987
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

My second wrangles up Family combinations before we shoot them. Such a HUGE help.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:21 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I shoot with my wife and could not imagine doing it full time with anyone else.
She has been getting really good at setting up the wedding party formal. I loathe doing that so having her do it is amazing.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:37 PM
cbres00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I love it when my second shooter steps right in as primary when I'm sick.
Yeah this is you, Brian Gross!

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:41 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

Robin - when you say 'during formal' do you mean during the actual formal shots or just the B+G portraits. To me it seemed like you meant one but described the other. I'm assuming you mean the B+G portraits.

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:56 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

Yeah, thats what I meant.. The bigger group shot I rather have the 2nd shooter shoot a different group. Not the group I am shooting. Or dont even shoot, just help me gather people.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM
4honor
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I hate it when the longest lens they have is 85mm... I need you the most is during ceremony. You are kinda useless to me if you don't have a 70-200 or somethig...

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM
prentice

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I hate it when my 2nd shooter shoots only a few steps from me during formal. So I get bunch of photos of B&G barely not looking at the camera (they are looking at my camera). No point of me using his/her photos since it is almost identical to mine and they are actually looking at me. I rather the 2nd shooter shoot it from a completely different angle and the B&G look like they are looking away on purpose.

My second is my first and I am is second. Whoever is commanding the shot does the posing, directing and shooting of the posed shot, and by so doing, acts as a decoy for the other whose job is to fade into the background anticipating and capturing those "decisive" moment(s) that we are after and which often happen before, after and around posed shots.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I don't particularly care for my second shooting the back of my bald spotů er head.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM
khphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

Keeping an eye on this thread, as I've like committed a few of the "hate when.." detail here..

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I love the company.

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:33 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

i love when my seconds are good! (hey, i've been lucky!)

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I love it when my 2nd grabbed me something to drink!

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

4honor wrote:
I hate it when the longest lens they have is 85mm... I need you the most is during ceremony. You are kinda useless to me if you don't have a 70-200 or somethig...

Interesting...this is one I'd double-check before the gig. You definitely wouldn't hire us as our longest is an 85

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Sahid Limon
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

Like when my 2nd:
- understands that he's the second, and follows common 2nd etiquette
- is a good and interesting person who doesn't annoy me, b&g and guests
- knows what to do most of the time without being told
- can think outside of the box
- watches what lens I use and uses something to compliment it
- helps organize groups

Dislike when my 2nd:
- thinks he's the boss and will do things or suggest things without asking me
- misses a major moment that is essential or required (like first look, first dance)
- is no where to be seen and doesn't inform me where they will be. Big no no.
- doesn't get me drinks at my command

Seconding really isn't all that difficult unless the primary photographer have high demands or looking for something particular. You just have to be a good person, get along with everyone, listen to the primary, and take good pictures. It's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

Jul 18, 2012 at 02:14 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

Love a second who:
- is always aware of where I am and what I'm shooting, and is shooting either from a very different perspective, or else is shooting something else entirely
- cares enough to try to understand my shooting style and adapts to that, rather than giving me images that can't easily fit in with mine
- composes with care
- gets white balance right in camera more often than not
- runs to the car, rather than walking, to get equipment we need in a hurry
- smiles a lot

Unhappy with a second who:
- delivers more than 600 images or so (too much work to sort through the additional images, not to mention to edit them to match)
- is uncooperative
- distracts subjects I'm trying to shoot, particularly when I'm trying to gain control of a group of five or more people
- is grumpy in front of clients or guests (grumpy with me, in private, is fine)
- does anything I have to apologize for

I screen based on simple things like experience, equipment, and comfort level with some techniques, but interview and make decisions based mainly on personality.

When I shoot as a second, my overriding priority is to get what the primary needs me to get, and to facilitate the primary's goals. If I see a way to improve something, I'll offer it if it's appropriate (i.e., if there's time and it's not a distraction or nuisance), but mainly I'm there to shoot in the primary's style, with the primary's goals first in mind. That's the attitude I look for in a second.

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:03 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

My second shooter is KILLER at off-camera lighting. Sure, sometimes he does stuff that I don't necessary like, but it's still quality work.

This past Sunday while I was shooting bridal party portraits outside, he went inside the church, set up stands, umbrellas, SB-600's (even changed out a set of bad batteries), set up his camera to shoot at the proper aperture, ISO and shutter speed, and dialed in the flash power settings. All I did was walk in, switch lenses, ask him what his power settings were at, and click click BOOM. Had my shots in less than 10 minutes.

PRICELESS.

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Tom Robinson

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

Now thats nice!

Jul 18, 2012 at 07:15 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

4honor wrote:

Shouldn't you discuss what gear they have BEFORE the wedding?

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:42 AM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · List of things you love or hate from a second shooter

I really like having someone on the day to provide support, help with posing, grab candids while I'm shooting formals, get detail shots, and shoots the venue location when it's 106 deg. outside.

I hate it when that person gives me 1200 images and I end up using about 250.

Yes, my second shooter does all this and more!

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password