Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Amy Koch
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Is the mercury in retro-grade? Is it a full moon?

We are getting weird and odd requests lately!

Met with a bride a week ago, love her! Let's us know mom would like to meet with us when she arrives in town. We meet with them today, and the bride has now hired a wedding planner for her day. Fine with us, we know who she is and have worked with her in the past. The mom and bride had us draw up a contract and did not want to sign it. Apparently the wedding planner has requested to look over our contract before they sign it.

Then the mom springs on us that the wedding planner will be contacting us with questions about our contract this week. Hun? What is going on? Is this the new normal or red flag?

Edited on Jul 21, 2012 at 03:21 AM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2012 at 07:29 AM
greglumley

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Your contract is your contract, end of story! It does not matter who sees it, if the wedding planner does not like it then tell the client - "so sorry but I have to decline your wedding"

Chances are they will tell the wedding planner to "button it" if they like your work....

G

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:13 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Some wedding planners think they're special. I answer their "qualifying" questions only, then I tell them to have the client contact me when it starts coming to terms. That usually takes care of the problem.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

agree with Alan, they pretend that they overlook the contract for the couple if it is "ok" and "attractive" for them, sometimes trying to get some better deal and/or cut a share and thats it. Just answer no, to any changes and by truth all questions related to day schedule etc.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:43 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Please request to see the contract between the bride and the wedding planner. I'll be interested in the wedding planner's response.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

dmacmillan wrote:
Please request to see the contract between the bride and the wedding planner. I'll be interested in the wedding planner's response.

why? you are just serving the couple, wedding planer should in their name prepare whole wedding

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

your contract defines how you want to do business with people it defines the limit to which you want to expose you and your family in business.

They are the terms and conditions of doing business with you. Your contract does not have to be fair. There does not need to be quid pro quo and it does not have to protect both parties. It has to protect you and your family.

Do not get sucked into someone else's idea of how you should work. Sole trader contracts are rarely client-centric.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Kittyk wrote:
why? you are just serving the couple, wedding planer should in their name prepare whole wedding

My intent would be to elicit a reaction from the wedding planner. I'm sure they'd object, with many of the objections being the same legitimate objections presented by the photographer.

Actually, that was a reactionary response. The better response would be to schedule a meeting with the planner, since she is a known quantity, and find out what is prompting the request. It could be one of her customers got a raw deal from another photographer and she is trying to act as an advocate. That's reasonable. What I don't consider reasonable would be the planner trying to act as the negotiator, trying to squeeze the photographer and the other vendors.

It's one thing if the photographer is obtained through the planner. It's completely different if she's sticking her nose into agreements between vendors and customers made independently.

This is just nuts. I never had these problems when I shot weddings.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Basically it is the wedding planner trying to act like she is in control and justifying why the client is paying them so much money to plan their wedding when they could be planning it on their own.

I know a lot of the local planners in my town are flakes and really anyone could do the poor jobs they do. There are some good ones but for the most part, anyone could do them. Most of them will contact me with dumb questions that the client could have asked me on their own. Again, it is the planner just justifying why they are getting paid. And some clients want to act like they are royalty and have someone else do the work for them.

Dont sweat it. Its more than likely nothing.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:15 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Is the coordinator trying to act as an attorney? They should stick to coordinating, not negotiating.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

It could be valid questions she has. What happens in case you cannot make it? What are the deliverables and timeframe, or maybe the payment schedule? Yes, this is her place to ask. If something happens that she hasn't covered, her clients will be looking back to her. What if she asks for the model release to be removed or changed (are you willing to compromise on that?) or would like to use some images for her own business? These are not bad things to cover.

It doesn't matter if it's the client or planner asking, you should be able to easily talk to them about anything in your contract. I'm curious about how "the mom springs on us the wedding planner will be contacting us" came about. Not being there it's hard to second guess, but take the emotional reaction out of it. At least you're being kept in the loop.

paparazzinick wrote:
Most of them will contact me with dumb questions that the client could have asked me on their own. Again, it is the planner just justifying why they are getting paid. And some clients want to act like they are royalty and have someone else do the work for them.

It is redundant when both the planner and client ask the same questions and no one is on the same page. When the planner takes over all the small details for someone, it isn't necessarily because the bride is a prima-donna. There are so many reasons someone may want a planner to deal with those things for them.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

It makes perfect sense for a competent wedding planner to want to see vendor agreements. Here's a great opportunity to network with someone who has a greater ability to steer business your way than do most other people.

So, you could treat the planner in a condescending manner and put her off, or you could communicate professionally, have a friendly chat, be firm in your terms, and then have a useful contact.

There's a possibility that the planner has other photographers in mind to whom she likes to steer business, and finding "problems" with your agreement (or your refusal to negotiate) will be her pretext for undermining your relationship with the couple. So it may be valuable to have the client on the phone when you speak with the planner until the contract is signed, so that the client can see how reasonable you are in responding to the planner's questions and challenges. The one thing you must avoid is allowing the planner to misrepresent your stance to the client in an effort to portray herself as fighting for them. And if she has set herself up as their "advocate," putting you in a newly adversarial position, then having the client on the phone during negotiations is vital to protecting your relationship.

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:25 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Amy Koch wrote:
mom would like to meet with us when she arrives in town.

Apparently the wedding planner has requested to look over our contract before they sign it.

Two red flags ..

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:33 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

sounds like a mini power play to me. mom might be positioning herself to make some sort of outrageous request
and is using the wedding planner as support.

or maybe she's just being careful and cares about her daughters wedding photos.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Amy Koch wrote:
the wedding planner has requested to look over our contract before they sign it

Isn't it part of her job to oversee the details of the whole affair?
Yeah, in your shoes I wouldn't feel comfortable but I can understand what she's doing.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Why are we afraid of coordinators?

- trr

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

TRReichman wrote:
Why are we afraid of coordinators?

- trr

Kinda what I was wondering...

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Would the coordinator want US reviewing their contract ? Probably not. If you go through with it, I would have everyone present so that you could address any questions the coordinator might have in front of the mom so there are no
questions later on down the road of he said she said.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

Why do we automatically assume that client and vendor relationships have to be antagonistic? The coordinator is totally welcome to look at my contract. They effectively accept a fiduciary responsibility to protect the client's interests and offer advice. So yes, looking at our contracts is totally reasonable for them. I simply don't understand the fear and antagonism.

- trr

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM
nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · *Update* Wedding planner wants our contract?

A bit off topic but I've often wondered what the FM for wedding coordinators/planners is. Anyone know?

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password