New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

Arn_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

Someone has extracted and/or pattern masked the 2 people sitting on the couch, right side along wall, from the image.

I need advice on how to reveal as much as possible those people using LR4 if possible. The image is a dng 300ppi generated from a 72ppi jpeg. No image correction has been done yet. The jpeg is posted below. The DNG is available here: http://arncapo.com/Assets/Images/2012.07.09_04.50.21.563-01006.dng

Thanks

Make the invisible people visible again.

Edited on Jul 16, 2012 at 09:00 AM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

Don't have LR but by opening the file in Levels and moving the middle slider left to amplify the midtones I was able to reveal more detail. It can't reveal what was cloned out, but from the difference in the noise pattern when enlarged on screen it would appear something might have been cloned out in the area indicated.

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/DBO.jpg

When cloning if the mouse button is held down and dragged the patch will look smeared / smoother than the more random noise in the unretouched areas. That "smearing" evidence of cloning is what I'm seeing in the area I outlined but it's not very conclusive. There appears to be pillows in that area and the lighting / shading on them appears consistent with that in the room. So if it was retouched in that area it was done by someone with knowledge of lighting and some PS chops. If you have a similar shot in better lighting as a baseline reference by overlaying it you might be able to detect differences that would support the fact it's been retouched.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:00 AM
Arn_
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

The higher res DNGs support your conclusion regarding the area cloned.

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:47 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

72 or 300 or 300000 the dpi is meaningless its a digital file and the number of pixels is the same.

As it started out as a one layer jpg converting it to dng adds nothing to the forensics there is not information to reveal.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Arn_
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

Buzz kill.

I wanted to prevent further damage from the jpeg format and have additional headroom for further editing.

Visually I find the DNG version to be more revealing. Any addition information is useful. I want to apply any techniques learned to other images not in such bad shape.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

If I buy a quart of milk, then pour it into an empty one gallon jug, how much milk do I now have?

I this a surveillance image?

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:37 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

What people? Have you been taking drugs Don't think you are going to see any bodies in that photo, ever

Jul 17, 2012 at 03:21 AM
camerausername
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

This thread is really strange. Arn_, did someone remove themselves from your security camera footage and you're trying to solve some sort of crime? Or did you remove yourself from some security footage and you're posting here to see if your edit will hold up to extensive scrutiny?

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:23 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

This is a ridiculous thread. Posting mostly to make sure I don't forget to see how this progresses

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:26 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

I went back ran some filters and think I found what your looking for.
http://dougieville.us/home/cart.jpg

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:01 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

Amazing

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

I see a "ghost" of an individual seated on the sofa...

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Arn_
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Making Invisible People Visible Again

Been away on a trip and missed all the action. I'll try and make up for the delay with a limited response (busy catching up).

When several images are combined in a 10 to 30 frames per second slide show is when the figures really stand out. My bad for being in a hurry and picking a poor individual sample image. What I'm interested in is making them easier to see without the need for a slide show.

It did occur to me that this might be an example in image ghosting from the camera sensor.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.