Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HELP PLEASE! is an expensive photography degree worth it?

modexphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HELP PLEASE! is an expensive photography degree worth it?

Help! Ok so I am a bit confused on what to do and I hope maybe I could get some advice from some more experienced photographers in the field.

My main question is should I go to school and spend a considerable amount on a photography degree from Savannah College of Art and Design (40,000) or go to a local university which is considered easy but would be free.

I just received my associates degree in photography from a local college and also received best photography portfolio out of my graduating class. I also Have a fairly successful photo business shooting weddings and portraits, but I would like to get out of shooting weddings and portraits to get into commercial work, basically anything that involves time to mess around with lighting(lighting is my passion). I want to continue my education but don't know if having a degree from scad is worth 40,000 more than a local college or much at all unless I decide to teach (which I also thought about just not sure of the job market).

I feel that I have learned most of my knowledge from interning and working for other photographers along with pushing myself.

I received a total of 33 grand in scholarships to go to scad based on my portfolio and grades so I only have to pay roughly 15 grand for dorms each year for 2.5 years to get my BA in photo

or

I could go to a local college live at home and literally get paid to go
tuition is 10,000 for in state and I will receive 14,000 scholarship deposited into my bank account for 2 years.

I also DO NOT want to work for myself I enjoy shooting way more then all the other logistics.

So what decision would you make?
How important was a degree at all to receive your job?(I've been told its all about the portfolio)
How do I break into the commercial market? (haven't made enough connections in commercial)

Jul 15, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HELP PLEASE! is an expensive photography degree worth it?

SCAD is only about the money, no entrance requirements...

Jul 15, 2012 at 09:44 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HELP PLEASE! is an expensive photography degree worth it?

If I were in your shoe, I would go to the university and take that free education. Choose a field / major that you like and take a minor that will help you with your photography...

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HELP PLEASE! is an expensive photography degree worth it?

I'd suggest taking business/marketing as main course of study, if you are planning to make photography a career, and minor in photography.
Douglas

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:45 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HELP PLEASE! is an expensive photography degree worth it?

I advised my son to take the business/marketing route (exclusively) and practice photography as a hobby. He recently thanked me for steering him in the right direction. He is now married and has a nice house. Commerical photography is a feast or famine business. If you don't have a studio, and/or are not located in or near a major city you will struggle. Two years of photography school is all you need.... that's all I had. A degree in business will be of more benefit to you even if you decide you want to pursue photography. A BA in photography is almost worthless in the business world. BTW: Nobody is hiring photographers.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Thomas73

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HELP PLEASE! is an expensive photography degree worth it?

Hi all,

I take the opportunity of this thread to ask you which are the serious curriculums in the US related to photography (university and college).

Thanks for your replies.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Glenn Kendall
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HELP PLEASE! is an expensive photography degree worth it?

Your ROI in going to SCAD will probably be very small, perhaps a negative. If you need to take a loan for your $37.5 out of pocket costs, almost definitely a negative. The local option may pay dividends if you major in photography but the better option is, as others have said, a business major and photography minor.

That said, a future in commercial photography is likely to be financially disappointing in the long term unless you are naturally particularly business-savvy.

But if you can get free education, regardless of your major, go for it. Expand your horizons. Good luck.

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:53 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.