Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but RRS is releasing a new grip and L plate kit for OM-D. Pictures are of a prototype and they will offer a full black version and a silver version. Supposed to ship end of the month. Looks perfect IMO.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BOEM5-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BOEM5-Set%3a-Base-%2b-L-Plate-%2b-Grip-%28black%29

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

FYI the L-plate with the grip is an RRS grip w/o the shutter button and EV dial i.e. it cannot be used with the OM-D and HLD-6 grip. RRS does not have an L-plate to go with the HLD-6 grip. If you are using the OM-D with a grip they recommend the B9 conventional plate:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyOlympusEM5&key=cat

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

I'm not getting the HLD-6 as to me it defeats the purpose of a small camera, so this RRS kit is more suitable. You can buy the grip separately I believe. Makes holding the camera a lot easier as OEM grip is too small for my liking.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

The grip looks too goofy!

The L-Plate looks nice if ya need an L-Plate. I don't think I've ever owned an L-Plate - for any camera. Never needed one. And really? they want $120 for that L-Plate? Seems a little mental if ya ask me. Of course $70 for the aluminum chunk they're calling a grip isn't exactly sane IMO either. Why so much?

Edited on Jul 16, 2012 at 02:56 PM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:37 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

I don't really see the need for an L-pate. The OM-D + native lens is light enough to allow vertical shooting on a ballhead without the lens flop problem and off-center instability you may get with heavier rigs. If you use a non-native big/heavy lens the chances are that you will have a tripod mount on the lens to allow vertical orientation.

A less expensive generic grip (pending the aftermarket grips from China) is this one, which has been out for awhile, and is not as good IMO, as the grip appears to be too shallow:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/commercial-vendor-sales-services/38229-oly-omd-grip.html

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

Less expensive? Isn't it actually $5 more expensive (according to that thread)?

In any case I think paying more than about $50 for something like that (or any L-Plate really) is just nuts. More power to them if people will pay that - but it won't be me - me thinks. IMHO either of those L-Plates should be selling for between $25 and $50 with the add-on grip boosting it by another $10 or $15. I feel a bit like I just stepped off the planet into another world or something.

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

I got the little B9 plate for my OM-D. Works well, sits flat (even with lenses mounted), and works on the bare camera, horizontal grip or vertical grip. Sure it's small and not an L-plate, but it works well, prevents twisting and adds almost zero weight.

$190 isn't bad considering the L plate is part of it. A typical RRS or Kirk custom L plate is in the $140 range. Yes, it's very expensive for milled aluminum, but it is what it is...my little tiny plate was $55 and it's an inch square. Welcome to the high price of the arca-swiss system. Pretty much standard: standard plate for $55, L plate for $140, or $200+ for pro-style L plates or plates for accessory grips.

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:14 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

It's $110 vs $190.

Bifurcator wrote:

In any case I think paying more than about $50 for something like that (or any L-Plate really) is just nuts. More power to them if people will pay that - but it won't be me - me thinks. IMHO either of those L-Plates should be selling for between $25 and $50 with the add-on grip boosting it by another $10 or $15. I feel a bit like I just stepped off the planet into another world or something.

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:18 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

That looks really cool but I just got a clip system for my OM-D and NEX-7.

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

Bifurcator wrote:

bobbytan wrote:
It's $110 vs $190.

The L bracket is $120 and the lump they're calling a grip added to that is $190 total. The link for the other one says $125. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/433660-post12.html

Also, before I get jumped, I do see that this is about the going rate for new L-brackets. I just happen to think that rate is absurd.

FlyPenFly wrote:
That looks really cool but I just got a clip system for my OM-D and NEX-7.

What's a "clip system" ? Got a link?

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

Is there an advantage to having a bi-directional plate?

Acratech has a generic plate that is 2.5" x 1.5" and I think I rather have a rectangular than a square plate:

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=36

Jman13 wrote:
I got the little B9 plate for my OM-D. Works well, sits flat (even with lenses mounted), and works on the bare camera, horizontal grip or vertical grip. Sure it's small and not an L-plate, but it works well, prevents twisting and adds almost zero weight.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:31 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

http://peakdesignltd.com/capture.htm

When going through some thicker jungle or forest, its really handy to have full use of both hands and no camera dangling from a neck strap.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:34 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

Whoa ... that is very cool! I want one.

BTW what is the size of the camera plate?

FlyPenFly wrote:
http://peakdesignltd.com/capture.htm

When going through some thicker jungle or forest, its really handy to have full use of both hands and no camera dangling from a neck strap.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:48 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

About an inch to 1.25 inches square.

photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/capture-camera-clip/

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:27 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

Perfect ... thanks! I am going to order one.

FlyPenFly wrote:
About an inch to 1.25 inches square.

photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/capture-camera-clip/

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:55 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

The problem I see is that the bracket has to be much wider than the base of the body to accommodate the proper sized bevels. Can't see this as being too comfortable and it certainly diminishes some of the size advantage.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

Are you referring the to Peak Design Capture Camera Clip? If so, can you elaborate on your point please?

Hrow wrote:
The problem I see is that the bracket has to be much wider than the base of the body to accommodate the proper sized bevels. Can't see this as being too comfortable and it certainly diminishes some of the size advantage.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

bobbytan wrote:
Are you referring the to Peak Design Capture Camera Clip? If so, can you elaborate on your point please?

No, sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the RRS bracket but may have spoken somewhat erroneously. I mounted a Wimberly Universal plate to my OM-5D with the bracket attached today and was surprised by how much the plate extended past the bottom of the grip. However, the grip tapers in a bit so when mounted directly to the bottom of the camera it is not as bad though still wider than the body itself. Same would apply to any AS type baseplate.

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:07 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

bobbytan wrote:
I don't really see the need for an L-pate. The OM-D + native lens is light enough to allow vertical shooting on a ballhead without the lens flop problem and off-center instability you may get with heavier rigs. If you use a non-native big/heavy lens the chances are that you will have a tripod mount on the lens to allow vertical orientation.

A less expensive generic grip (pending the aftermarket grips from China) is this one, which has been out for awhile, and is not as good IMO, as the grip appears to be too shallow:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/commercial-vendor-sales-services/38229-oly-omd-grip.html

You can take the L part of the L plate off, if you notice it's an addon to the standard full width plate. L plate is far more convenient than flipping ballheads, but it does make the camera more bulky, so I'd be tempted to just get the camera plate and grip. I think the grip will look much better in black. This is just the prototype.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New RRS grip and L plate kit for O-MD

Bifurcator wrote:

It's RRS and they always charge a premium, but they do make great stuff. Even the tiny camera plate option is a crazy $60.

Acratech make same quality plates for a lot less, but haven't got a E-M5 model yet.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password