Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

canon.eos30d
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

Hi,

I am looking for the FD to EOS Adapter so that I can use my FD Lens on my 7D.
Have anyone used this and what adapter do you use?

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

1st, check out the "Alternative Gear" forum, there are several threads on this subject...use the search option to find them.

I've used an adapter from The Lens Doctor, it's basically a teleconverter that doubles as an extension tube. With it's optical glass in place you loose about 1 stop and get about 1.2x in magnification, you get infinity focus, but IQ does drop a good bit; corners quite a bit. Without the glass it's just an extension tube and you loose infinity focus. The lens doctor also converts older MF lenses to the newer EF mount...

FD to EF Adapter
http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/page14.html

Here's a link to an image taken last summer with a 40D and a 34yr old nFD 50mm f3.5 macro; it was shot handheld. I'm still experimenting with the adapter, results are okay, much better than the cheaper knockoffs.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1090186/0#10453245

One thing that is difficult is manual focusing with the standard focusing screens of today's DSLRs, a ground glass or split-prism focusing screen will work better; KayzEye Optics sells several variants...

KatzEye™ Focusing Screens
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Canon-DSLRs--cat_canon.html

There is another adapter available from Ed Mika, he is a FM member. I just received his newest .5mm adapter but have not used it yet. Ed's adapter has no glass and does provide infinity focus for some lenses that are 200mm and greater. I'll be testing this adapter next month, here's a link to Eds eBay page. The adapter can be used with most old lenses below 200mm, you just loose infinity focus. Focusing screen issues apply to this adapter as well.

EdMika 0.5mm FD-EOS adapter for 200mm 300mm 400mm 500mm 600mm 800mm Canon EF
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180871581032?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2021wt_1185

Good luck, PM me if you want more info...I still shoot film with my old pre AF bodies, an adapter isn't going to get you film IQ but it's fun to experiment with old gear/lenses on digital bodies.

I'm mainly using my macro lenses for close-up images, but will be trying out a few teles; even a 500mm mirror

These adapters are over $100 shipped, they are not cheap $19.95 knock-offs. Remember, any adapter like the TLD that has optics/glass is much like a tele-converter (manufacture's T/Cs are usually much better than these adapters) and thus can degrade.image quality significantly.

Jerry

Edited on Jul 16, 2012 at 05:50 AM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

The registry distance on FD lenses is shorter than EOS lenses...hence, you can't mount an adapter without corrective optics without losing infinity focus. I don't know of any adapter (with optics) that provides excellent IQ...except for the original Canon FD/EOS adapter that was available in the late 80's. It offered very good optical quality and also acted as a 1.2x extender. It was very expensivs at the time is still very expensive now...if you can even find one as they are quite scarce.

HTH,
Omar

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

The are quality custom replacement mounts that remove the FD mount and by supplemental mount and lens machining, allow full infinity focus. It is usually done on the higher ticket lenses, like 35 TS and long tele "L" lenses.

The is no economical adapter that provides FD lens infinity focus on EOS, unless you add the glass elements like a tele-extender.

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:39 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

Gunzorro wrote:
The are quality custom replacement mounts that remove the FD mount and by supplemental mount and lens machining, allow full infinity focus. It is usually done on the higher ticket lenses, like 35 TS and long tele "L" lenses.

The is no economical adapter that provides FD lens infinity focus on EOS, unless you add the glass elements like a tele-extender.

The Ed Mika adapters are said to be able to give you infinity focus with some telephoto and super telephoto lenses. As for economical, that's an individual decision/issue and I'd imagine depends on how large/expensive your older glass collection is. Ed has tested many lenses, check his website and eBay for expected/tested focus distances.

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:26 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

If I had any FD lenses I would have probably just bought a Sony NEX 5N body to use with them.

Jul 16, 2012 at 07:44 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

Snopchenko wrote:
If I had any FD lenses I would have probably just bought a Sony NEX 5N body to use with them.

+1
The whole world of mirrorless cameras has opened up the FD system lenses to an easy usage.

Where once FD lenses could be had for insanely cheap money they now seem to have got to pretty high prices for an old lens that has no current system to mount it on .

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

I love to use the old FD lenses on my EOS 5D cameras.
But I love to tinker on lenses. Have made lens mount conversion when Ed Mikas adapter was not available on the FD 300mm 1:2.8L, FD 400mm 1:2.8L and FD 500mm 1:4.5L. Some photographers asked me to convert their lenses too, but I do not have the time for this.
For my own use I have converted shorter lenses too, like the FD 24mm 1:1.4L, FD 85mm 1:1.2L and new FD 100mm 1:4 Macro.
With the nFD 28mm 1:2.8 and 50mm 1:1.4 SSC and nFD 50mm 1:1.8 I made freelensing and tilt lenses for crop cameras.
All these lenses are performing well on the 24x36mm sensor of the 5D. You could see 100% images on my webpage.

With my FD 800mm/5.6 SSC I got a FD-EF adapter with lens - but I did not make extensive testing with this. It reduces quality of the fast lenses wideopen, and it makes focal length longer (~1.26x). With this lens I go the adapting way, with a "0mm" homemade adapter to get infinity, it is very thight. Infintiy is at the end of focus range on my lens. This lens it not very good, at bright sunlight it has a lot of purple fringing.

On my new bought FD 400mm/2.8L I will try the adapting way with the neccessary adjustmend of the internal focussing system. Want to make some comparrison images, to see if quality degrades. When IQ goes down, I will go the mount conversion way.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM
MartyCastilla
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

Watch this site for FD info

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

Marty -- That's kind of an obtuse comment! So, what, some FD news coming out on the FM forum? Please tell us more. . . new FD mount with focus confirm for the "M" series camera coming?

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:17 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

@ Marty, looking forward to you updating us on your FD info

I started testing EdMikas .5mm FD-to-EF adapter this saturday. My testing was quite brief and was all handheld. Furthermore, I am paralyzed from the neck down with partial use of my arms/hands but my fingers do not work...at times my arms do fatigue and I can get shaky.

I've posted an image from saturday's test (see link below) and have included summary info including gear used and camera settings. I'm encouraged by my results so far with an nFD 200 f4 Macro, even tho I cannot achieve infinity focus, the colors, saturation, contrast look pretty good so far; I did shoot wide open!

More testing to follow as I work through my 30+ lenses and Ed's adapter. I'll be using either tri/monopods or a table top tripod for the remaining long lens tests and will note otherwise.

Jerry

Summer Garden - Roma Tomatoes
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1127903/33#10857912

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:14 AM
Ross Becker

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

I've converted 3 lenses to EF mount.
1 nFD 85mm f1.2L see it here
2 nFD 50mm f1.2L see it here
3 FL-F 300mm f5.6 Fluorite see it here

They mount on any EOS body. I use the 50 & 85 often & the results are amazing, especially with video on all manual (of course).
Cheers

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:01 PM
MartyCastilla
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does anyone use FD lens on EOS 7D with FD-to-EOS Adapter?

Gunzorro wrote:
Marty -- That's kind of an obtuse comment! So, what, some FD news coming out on the FM forum? Please tell us more. . . new FD mount with focus confirm for the "M" series camera coming?

@Gunzorro

Sorry about that I had thought I posted the link with the comment. Here is the site I was referring to.

www.fdtoef.com

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password