Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

wolfloid
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

I've never worked with an M8 but have read that in B&W this camera can produce high quality output, particularly in the finer tones of both shadows and highlights. If I used the camera it would be without any IR filters purely for B&W work.

Can anyone confirm/deny/comment on the special B&W quality? Is there anything 'special'?

Is it just mad to buy such a digitally ancient camera that even when new had many reliability/functionality problems?

I have a stock of M lenses from my M6 days including the 35/1.4 asph and the CV 28/1.9. I tend to prefer the 35/40 field of view for the bulk of what I do (reportage) and the CV lens seems close enough, even though it is much larger than I would like. Any comments on a smaller lens package that might also work - it should ideally be f 2 or faster, given the poor high ISO performance of the M8.

Or should I just forget the whole idea and get an X100 or an OMD with the panny 20/1.7? Will I be missing anything?

Jul 15, 2012 at 09:24 PM
najibs
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

I've tried the x100, NEX and currently have an OM-D, but there's something very special about the b&w images that the M8 produces. I have an M8 too. They have pop and personality. Yes, ISO above 640 sucks on the camera, but in b&w it's less important. Since you already have good lenses, it makes a lot of sense to go with the M8. I don't think you'll regret it.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Tobin28
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

I had a used M8u for a year and the images had a totally different look to anything my full think tank bag full of full frame D700's and primes from 24-200. Now I own M9, 35 lux and 50 lux. Sold the entire nikon bag. Be careful once you go the leica route the bug bites you hard. So bottom line....get the m8 and make frames

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:34 AM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

+1 Tobin, same story

Jul 17, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

It can, cause its CCD and cause it doesnt have any AA. Which results in pretty high resolution and very nice contrast transfer. And both combined can create look that simply most cameras cant. M8 sensor was probably somewhat better than M9, smoother colors and dunno, slightly different look, cant exactly pinpoint in what. Just not same.

Its nice camera and I think if you stick to base ISO, taking color photos will be as good as BW ones (with filter ofc ). Oh and its really easy to take IR photos with it, cause you still see what you are shooting, can focus without problems and camera usually even meters correctly.

Jul 17, 2012 at 04:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

I think the advantage of CCD is probably over stated. From sensor toppings to camera processing, there is a lot that goes into the digital Leica look. We must not forget that several DSLRs were CCD just a few years ago, and I'm not exactly dying to go back to my old A100.

Jul 17, 2012 at 04:39 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

After looking at this camera for my dad not long ago (&deciding it wasn't right for him) I must admit its crossed my mind as being a casual, walk about camera for myself. I guess the age puts me off more than anything... But then, if it were newer I undoubtedly wouldn't be able to consider it (cost).

Jul 17, 2012 at 06:20 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

Question about the M8 / M8.2 ....

(1) if using as B&W only (more or less), what is it like at higher /max iso. Or more importantly, do you get any banding? I like grain, but hate banding.

(2) again, if using as B&W only, do you really need the IR filter in front of the lens? I ask as I don't like using filters on good lenses, and the moire correction seems a pain (not automated, masking off etc), which would put me off.

Jul 30, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M8 as B&W only camera

ricardovaste wrote:
Question about the M8 / M8.2 ....

(1) if using as B&W only (more or less), what is it like at higher /max iso. Or more importantly, do you get any banding? I like grain, but hate banding.

(2) again, if using as B&W only, do you really need the IR filter in front of the lens? I ask as I don't like using filters on good lenses, and the moire correction seems a pain (not automated, masking off etc), which would put me off.

1: Never had problems with it, but never really used the highest ISO that much so not that sure.

2: For B&W the filters aren't really needed. The filters have nothing to do with moire so don't know whats the point of that. Its only to pretend black fabric getting purple because of the IR light.
However, the UV/IR filters from leica are fine, I never had problems with them.

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password