Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · MOST USEFUL MACRO IN THE JUNGLE??? d800e...

pi-photog

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · MOST USEFUL MACRO IN THE JUNGLE??? d800e...

i hope to spend part of winter 12/13 or for sure. 13/14 (sounds like a long way out...) living in a house in costa-rica and spending time in panama and costa rica in the jungles - searching for frogs, and photographing them...

i am wondering what len (s) would prove to be most useful..

i have a nikon d800e

if you have a suggestion, please post a pix if u can of your given, work...

thank you...

Jul 15, 2012 at 02:07 AM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #2 · MOST USEFUL MACRO IN THE JUNGLE??? d800e...

The tree canopy is thick and clouds are common, so there is not much light in the jungle. (However, winter here is the sunny dry season there.) Plan your lighting accordingly--flash, LED, fast lens, etc. I assume you know to be careful about touching the frogs. It's bad for the frogs, and some frogs ("poison dart frogs") exude potent poisons on their skins. To avoid fungus destroying your optics in this hot humid climate, be sure to have a dry container with desiccant to store your equipment when not in use. Be careful at night, especially, if you are in an area with fer-de-lances. They are much more aggressive than most venomous snakes in the U.S. Watch where you are stepping and putting your hands. In the same size category as the frogs are many strange and beautiful insects.

Jul 15, 2012 at 02:53 AM
pi-photog

p.1 #3 · MOST USEFUL MACRO IN THE JUNGLE??? d800e...

yep - know all about the frogs... snakes another story... had hnot thought about 'storage' of lenses etc...

might use a ring flash ...

i will be there nov thru march

Jul 15, 2012 at 03:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #4 · MOST USEFUL MACRO IN THE JUNGLE??? d800e...

I travel to Costa Rica every other year and while I prefer to photograph mammals and landscapes, I do quite a bit of insect and amphibian photography during my trips. For years I traveled with a 100mm macro, but in 2011 I rented a 180 macro lens.

I've made plans for 2013 and will rent the 180 f3.5L again. While Nikon does not have a 180 macro, they do produce a very fine, albeit old, 200mm AF-D EDiF macro. The new Sigma 180 f3.5 DG looks promising and I know that the Tamron 180 macro is sharp as well. The beauty of these longer macros is that you get more working distance. This increased distance reduces stress for the animal and provides a bit of safety for you when shooting poisonous snakes. In addition, the narrow perspective provides you with the opportunity to isolate the subject because less of the background will be included in your image.

cheers,
bruce (from MN too )

Jul 15, 2012 at 03:51 AM
pi-photog

p.1 #5 · MOST USEFUL MACRO IN THE JUNGLE??? d800e...

i have a 100 mm zeiss...

i 'caught' this little falla with it.. this is cropped -- he was hard to photograph...

then there is a tent caterpillar crop - nikon 300mm f4 - that lens is gone now - sold it thinking it was not 'sharp enough'... and for hand held shots i should look for vr at 300...

spring peeper frog in a bog

tent caterpillar

Jul 15, 2012 at 04:59 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · MOST USEFUL MACRO IN THE JUNGLE??? d800e...

Have you posted this question in the macro forum? You will probably get more views there ~ Ron

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password