Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

dortizphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I picked-up my Canon 1D mkIII so I thought I'd give it another shot (no pun intended). With my dad going to an assisted living facility, it's been a rough couple of months.

All that being said, I'm trying (keyword trying) to get back into the swing of things again. Anyway, here's a brief capture of my wife of 26 years. I know I need work and practice, but this was done with just two lights.

1- AB800 @45 off center with shoot through umbrella
2- AB800 @45 oposite key with honeycomb

I used my Canon 50 f/1.4 prime.
http://i.pbase.com/o2/88/335988/1/144742103.khPy0JnO.File1.jpg
Thanks for looking guys, and as always ... your advice/tips/comments are always welcomed.

Cheers,
Dave

Jul 14, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

Howdy,

I see your photo post has had many views and no comments from viewers. I know that can be disappointing and often discourages people from posting/participating in a forum like this.

So, I will post a comment or two and maybe that will get others to contribute their views too.

As with anything where a subjective view (opinion) is shared, there can be many views of the same issue or subject.

First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

The photo has a subtle expression that to me says: "Amused" It is a nice expression on the face.

My Simple Suggestion: Try converting this to B&W.

I hope these comments help you.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:40 PM
jnoll1951
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

She reminds me of Rosanne's sister,remember that show? Anyway, she is pretty,and you did a fine job,in making a nice capture.Thanks...

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:50 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

Hmmm.....I would say more depth in the background with a shallower DOF......Maybe pull back a tad more of the upper body. Like when women put there hair up for shots as it helps expose the neck line, but in this case it looks like there is something coming out of nowhere to hold her hair up.....Have you thought of backing off on the fill a bit to create a rembrandt type shadow? Nice job, beautiful wife, nice smile....

iron sharpens iron......

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:14 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

Hi guys, thank you for the valued feedback.

Sorry it took so long for my response but my dad has been ill.

I humbly appreciate the advice and feedback given, and will certainly adhere to your suggestions and advice. In fact, I'll be setting up a "wanna-be" studio here shortly and will try to convince my 22 year old daughter to pose for me since she's sporting her new hair style. We'll see if she cooperates.

It's amazing because I took this photo to a local camera store and the attendant flat out told me my Canon 1D Mk3 is "a dinosaur" and that no one shoots at 10MP anymore. My gosh, I won't bore you with the comments he made, but he "politely" had me feeling like my camera needed to go in the garbage. He closed by saying with the introduction of the 5D3 and 1Dx, "no-one" would even consider my unit. Well, I NEVER!

Anyway, I'll post my daughter's pic here soon.

Thanks again everyone.
Dave

Aug 11, 2012 at 07:38 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

Hi David,

I’m sorry to hear about your dad and the circumstances. That can be such a tough stage in life. Best wishes for his full recovery.

I second Michael’s suggestions and would further (hope it helps) that the tight crop and her hand position looks like it could be someone grabbing her hair and forcing her head to the side.

As a child learning to draw, my dad showed me how looking at my drawings in a mirror would help me see things my mind was overlooking because during the sketching I was getting “too close to it” - meaning I wasn’t seeing the sketch fresh, as others would. Just a thought.

Pulling back enough to catch the line of her arm(s) and a bit of the arc of her torso would create a very different image. Up to you to say whether it’s an improvement.

As far as the dunce at the camera store, you probably know better than I how ignorant his comments where. Even so, during trying times sometimes even foolish statements can drag us down. Don’t let it. It’s a great shot and your gear rocks.

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:40 AM
Osai
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

Why did you pick that background? The lighting is nice. The pose is fine. Why not take some care with what else in in the frame?

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Comments/Advice always welcomed ..

Thanks guys, I'll repost a few captures once I/we get all settled.

Osai - This was a quick capture just for lighting adjustments. I really didn't prep the background which I really should have done. However, I'll work the entire process for the next go-round.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,
Dave

Aug 12, 2012 at 08:55 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.