Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Be sure you can handle the weight of the BH-55! As much as I'd like to keep mine (I just got it last Friday) I plan to exchange it for the BH-40. I don't find it choppy nor does it seem to take much to tighten it down, but I have little experience with high-end ball heads to compare it to. It's too heavy for me to carry the way I want to carry it, so I'm hoping the BH4- will be secure enough for my gear.

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:51 AM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Flowernut wrote:
I did replace the clamp on my z-1 with a rrs screw clamp. Each of the plate manufacturers (wimberly, kirk, rrs, etc.....) seems to have a slightly different width. As a result some clamps will not close tight enough to grab another manufacturer's plate. The screw clamp helps overcome some of the problems of variation in plate width. I've even had to replace screw clamps however that would not close down enough. Others I'm sure can talk more to the point but if I were to use a lever clamp, I'd buy plates from only that manufacturer unless I
...Show more

Since last year RRS have offered 60mm lever clamps that auto-adjust to different width plates. I use one on an Acratech ballhead and the clamp works well with the six plates I use from different manufacturers.

Sharona wrote:
Be sure you can handle the weight of the BH-55!

The BH-55 has needed to go to the fat farm for a long, long time. Users love it, but it seems to belong on a big tripod.

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:34 PM
runakid
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

No one mentions the Kirk ball head, which i Have used for 10 years+. Never had a problem.

Oct 14, 2014 at 07:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

peter_n wrote:
Since last year RRS have offered 60mm lever clamps that auto-adjust to different width plates. I use one on an Acratech ballhead and the clamp works well with the six plates I use from different manufacturers.

The BH-55 has needed to go to the fat farm for a long, long time. Users love it, but it seems to belong on a big tripod.

thats because it does belong on a big tripod

Oct 16, 2014 at 04:17 AM
Charlie N
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

RRS BH-55, not the smoothest on the block, but fantastic design. It's the gold standard.

Great clamp, low profile, great knobs, great resale value.

Oct 20, 2014 at 01:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password