Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Try a google search and see what you turn up. This is an issue that has been discussed on other web sites before - I am surprised that no one mentioned it here on FM.

Being against (or for) something does have ramifications...

dcains: do you believe some people should be denied certain benefits that heterosexual people have because the latter group can get married in the eyes of the government?

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:35 PM
dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny wrote:
Try a google search and see what you turn up. This is an issue that has been discussed on other web sites before - I am surprised that no one mentioned it here on FM.

dcains: do you believe some people should be denied certain benefits that heterosexual people have because the latter group can get married in the eyes of the government?

You made the assertion against Mr. Johnson, so perhaps you might post your source(s).

For the record, I am absolutely against any government interference in any of our personal lives. To deny any two people the rights of a relationship such as marriage seems reprehensible to me, but I support Mr. Johnson's right to his own opinion, whatever it may be.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

I don't have a link handy, but it's a matter of public record. Mr. Johnson donated $15,000 in support of Prop 8, which banned gay marriage (overturning a CA supreme court case that had legalized it). I believe his wife also donated something like $1000. I do not police every political expression of those I do business with, but the amount of the donation, the size of the company, and the fact that this is a civil rights matter that doesn't materially affect Mr. Johnson's own life in the slightest makes it different. His position is inhumane and unnecessarily cruel.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:52 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

This thread now officially sucks.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:55 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

eskimochaos wrote:
This thread now officially sucks.

I agree, and I'm officially confused. One guy says Mr. Johnson is "against" Prop 8, and another says he "supports" Prop 8. Which is it?

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny wrote:

I have been reading it here at FM at least ten times. So of course it has been mentioned many times

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny wrote:
SJMs: but when there is a mistake in manufacture, the auto industry eventually "fesses up" and does a recall or repair for the model in question....

Do you think everyone reports on web sites? Perhaps my experience might provide a warning for those who (such as yourself) think they have a perfect ballhead from RRS...suppose yours falls apart in the field...then you might have different thoughts about what I have written.

"Man, you really hate RRS. Get over it." I think they manufacture some fine products. I am proud that they are an American company. I want them to have as many
...Show more

around here yes. info moves like a wildfire.

because thats how they were taught.

i work with probably one of the larger populations of alt lifestyle people in any industry. i don't look at them any differently then anyone else in the world. they are simply my coworkers. i live many types of injustices depending on where i have to work and the applicable laws that affect the way i live and do business. these are both lifestyle and business related. i need not explain anything to anyone cause i kinda doubt you have the experiences i have had. there is a lot of social ill in the world. enlightened as you think you are i doubt you look so carefully at all your dealings and are any less hypocritical then the rest of this fine world population.

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:05 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Copied and pasted from this thread on 18 Nov. 2010 (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/956293/1), from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

"Dear Fred Miranda Participants,
I'm Joe Johnson, owner of Really Right Stuff. I thought it may be helpful to your discussion for me to provide a few explanations (hopefully not lame excuses).
1) I apologize for any inconvenience our new website has caused. We did transition to a new website on 19 Oct 2010. We tested the new site for 3 months and thought it was ready, but encountered issues when it went live and encountered our normal, higher-volume web traffic. Given the number of web-generated orders we're getting, the site works superbly most of the time (say 85+%), but does hang randomly. Because this site is tied to our inventory management/accounting systems, and due to the nature of the upgrade, it is nearly impossible to roll back. We are putting tremendous pressure on the software provider to fix the problem and are nearly there. We have invested nearly a quarter of million dollars on getting the website/erp system up to better standards, which for a small company like ours is a huge amount. We are committed to getting this right. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.
2) I am not anti-gay and very much support equal treatment/employment/housing/education/etc. for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race or religion. Thankfully, we already have laws in place here in California that provide that protection. I also believe we should maintain traditional marriage as currently defined and I did make a PERSONAL contribution to the Yes on 8 campaign. I was required by law to identify my current source of income which is how RRS was brought into this. We have employees that disagree with my support for Yes on 8, but unfortunately the negativity directed at me impacts them as well.
If any would like to discuss either of these issues personally with me, I'd be delighted to take your phone call or email (1-888-777-5557 in US/Canada; 1-805-528-6321 Overseas; joe@reallyrightstuff.com)."

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:16 AM
kpoz
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

I feel like reviving an old thread today. Like many before me, I am deciding between the Arca Swiss Z1 and the RRS BH-55. While I am a bit put off by the fact the owners have publicly opposed equal rights through monetary donations, I am still considering the BH-55.

I have read the Z1 has superior movement in terms of smoothness and a higher weight load, the tension knob is small and the panning knob looks cheap and is awkwardly placed directly next to the tension knob. Moreover, the drop notch is not in an ideal location.

The BH-55, however, does not have an elliptical ball, and the tension knob requires more tension to secure the ball head. Additionally, as stated above, the movement of the ball head is not as smooth.

If anyone can allay the above concerns, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:46 AM
zesto
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

I have just received my RRS TVC-34L today - beautiful! I haven't used the Z1 only the Markins M20 and the BH-55 ballhead. I prefer the BH-55; it's rock solid, doesn't slip when tightened and the pan lock is a revelation after using the Markins M20. I don't think it needs to go on a diet as someone suggested. The purpose of using carbon fibre (fiber for you Americans) is not just for weight saving but also for vibration dampening. Besides which, a TVC-34L tripod or a similar spec Gitzo is not a long distance walking proposition so a little extra weight is nothing.

Anyway, the BH-55 is quite smooth with my heavier lenses but not so much with the lighter ones. I prefer to just unlock the ballhead move it and lock it again which takes very little effort or time. I find the large knob on the BH-55 is a joy to use.

As for Joe Johnson, he makes really right stuff and that's what matters to me, not his politics. We have the same issues in my country with gay marriage and I'm sure most other democratic nations do as well. However, this is supposed to be a photography forum not a soapbox for sniping at other peoples political or moral beliefs.

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

peter_n
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

zesto wrote:
I prefer the BH-55; it's rock solid, doesn't slip when tightened and the pan lock is a revelation after using the Markins M20.

The Markins "pan lock" is not a lock. It was designed as a brake apparently for vibration reduction.

kpoz wrote:
I have read the Z1 has superior movement in terms of smoothness and a higher weight load, the tension knob is small and the panning knob looks cheap and is awkwardly placed directly next to the tension knob. Moreover, the drop notch is not in an ideal location.

The tension knob on the Z1 is integrated with the main knob and is indexed. All you need to do is remember the index number for a particular rig, turn the knob to that number and you have the correct drag friction for it.

The panning lock is a 2nd generation design that improves on the older ballhead. It works very well and the positioning is fine, at least for me. Also the drop slot is exactly where you want it - directly facing the subject. In contrast the RRS BH-55 has two drop slots that are both at an angle to the subject. That design doesn't make sense to me to be honest with you.

The A-S Z1 comes in two layouts - with the drop slot facing the subject you can have the main knob either on the right or on the left. If you end up buying a Z1 don't get one with a clamp, get the one with a round base and buy either a Kirk screw knob clamp or a RRS lever release clamp for it.

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:58 PM
zesto
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

peter_n wrote:
The Markins "pan lock" is not a lock. It was designed as a brake apparently for vibration reduction.

So if it's not a "pan lock" why does Markins call it a "Panning lock - unlock knob" in the instructions that comes with the ballhead?

peter_n wrote:
In contrast the RRS BH-55 has two drop slots that are both at an angle to the subject. That design doesn't make sense to me to be honest with you.

One of the two drop slots on the BH-55 is very easily angled towards the subject. Loosen the pan lock, pan the base to the desired position and tighten the pan lock - which works. Doesn't take much effort at all. Of course, using an L plate has largely done away with the need for a drop slot except when one wants an acute downward angle.

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:59 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

zesto wrote:
So if it's not a "pan lock" why does Markins call it a "Panning lock - unlock knob" in the instructions that comes with the ballhead?

No idea. Translation maybe? You are correct though, it is confusing when they use language like that. They are kind of high maintenance and a bit finicky too. I've been through three Markins heads and no longer use them but I keep one as a backup.

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:33 PM
kpoz
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

I ended up purchasing the Arca-Swiss Z1 without a QR plate. I already own an RRS QR clamp and a Kirk L plate for the D800, so I will be placing the QR clamp on the new ballhead.

I chose the Arca-Swiss for a few reasons. First, the load capacity is outstanding, mainly due to the proprietary elliptical ballhead. Second, the movement of the ballhead itself is supposed to be second to none. Third, while the RRS BH-55 is a beautiful product, the ballhead movement is allegedly more choppy, especially with lighter gear, and the owner's public opposition to equal rights was a real turn-off for me.

I did not consider Markins because I would rather purchase an American or European-made product.

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:52 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

The Z1 takes an M6 screw into the top of the ball stem, most ballheads use a 3/8"-16 screw (or stud). Also there is a thin oblong boss on the top of the Z1's ball stem that needs to fit into a slot cut into the base of the clamp. Hopefully you have the RRS clamp that fits the top of the Z1. Great ballhead!

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:07 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

kpoz

the knobs are perfert on the AS heads, my b1 (older version of the z1) is pretty flawless.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:12 PM
kpoz
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

peter_n wrote:
The Z1 takes an M6 screw into the top of the ball stem, most ballheads use a 3/8"-16 screw (or stud). Also there is a thin oblong boss on the top of the Z1's ball stem that needs to fit into a slot cut into the base of the clamp. Hopefully you have the RRS clamp that fits the top of the Z1. Great ballhead!

Correct, like this:

The RRS QR clamp has notches for ballhead stems such as the one found on the AS Z1.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:42 PM
kpoz
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

lou f wrote:
kpoz

the knobs are perfert on the AS heads, my b1 (older version of the z1) is pretty flawless.

Great. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:42 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny wrote:

I believe people should keep their stupid American state political rantings out of otherwise useful threads. Good work on making a complete mess of this one. Thanks to those who made useful contributions.

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:42 AM
Flowernut

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

I've used about every head you can think of over the last 25 years. The A-S heads original, b-1 and z-1 all work well. Recently I had problems (ball sticking but still very useable) with a z-1 that was attributed by repair to rain. I have a hard time believing it. The markins has never failed but it has exhibited a major locking problem (became unusable) in cold weather. As per markins, you have to wipe the ball with wd-40. That does solve the winter problem. The larger markins is lighter than the z-1 and I use a smaller markins for backpacking. The kirk bh-1 and bh-3 are good heads and served me well but I no longer use them. Mostly I switch between the z-1 and the markin heads. Not a big fan of acratech (tried the old style and never used the new style) but I know people who like them a lot. I've used linholf and novoflex as well but those are out of favor now so I'll move on.

I like to grab the locking knob with my left hand and the camera with the right. The slots in the kirk heads, markin and z-1 allow this putting the slot out front where it needs to be to point the head down. The older A-S designs had the slot in the wrong place as far as I'm concerned.

I've never really grown to like the rrs head. It is heavier and requires more force on the knob to lock it. The slots are in the wrong locations as far as I'm concerned for tipping down. Still it seems to the darling at the moment.

I still prefer the screw rather than lever release. I carry my camera on the tripod over my shoulder and I'm always worried that the lever will catch on something. I've a 4th generation head with a lever clamp and it makes me nervous nor do I find the lever clamp easier to use although I must admit I've use the screw clamps so long I'm very adept with them.

I did replace the clamp on my z-1 with a rrs screw clamp. Each of the plate manufacturers (wimberly, kirk, rrs, etc.....) seems to have a slightly different width. As a result some clamps will not close tight enough to grab another manufacturer's plate. The screw clamp helps overcome some of the problems of variation in plate width. I've even had to replace screw clamps however that would not close down enough. Others I'm sure can talk more to the point but if I were to use a lever clamp, I'd buy plates from only that manufacturer unless I knew for sure that some other manufacturer's plate would fit.

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:34 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password