FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

"yes there is always going to be an error in manufacturing/method/usage. every single maker of product on the planet has had it happen and will."

RRS told me, without me asking, that this is a KNOWN PROBLEM with their BH-55 ballhead - apparently mine was not an isolated incident...There is a problem that they are not publicly admitting to...Why?

RRS is like any other manufacturer - the consumer needs to stay vigilant...they are not the be all and end all of the type of items they make. Truth be told, they need consumer feedback - both good and bad info. That way they can improve.
================
"on politics i will say this: open your eyes and look around you. don't limit your scope. there's much more going on that needs scrutiny for ethical methods in how things are done. but then, that might get in the way of your particular view of the world and how you you choose to live and do business in it. things can get real "interesting" when you find out whats/who's behind the curtian in the many aspects of your life."

Please, when you start giving me advice about ethics - I am now at you.

Jul 20, 2012 at 09:00 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

sjms wrote:
AS - nope

the operatative words are "worth listening to"

Exactly.

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

and i haven't heard those words just yet

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

I had the Z1, I absolutely hated the flip lock on it.
I upgraded to the BH55 and never looked back. For me it is much easier to control, mount, set up, take down etc. The fit and finish I find much more pleasing on the BH55 as well.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Sean Mills wrote:
I had the Z1, I absolutely hated the flip lock on it.
I upgraded to the BH55 and never looked back. For me it is much easier to control, mount, set up, take down etc. The fit and finish I find much more pleasing on the BH55 as well.

You don't have to buy it with the flip-lock if you don't like that It comes with the normal screw lock also

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:22 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

I have the Z1 with flip lock and found it easy to unlock it. I also own the Q20 too. Love both of them.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Lars Johnsson wrote:
You don't have to buy it with the flip-lock if you don't like that It comes with the normal screw lock also

Oh I know. I like the convenience of the flip lock though, just feel the Arca is nowhere up to spec, especially not compared to the RRS lock mechanism.

I have lever release or flip locks on my RRS BH55, BH40, and the leveling bases for my TVC24 and TVC33, all phenomenal.

The Z1 is indeed a fine ballhead, but if you want locks, I would recommend RRS all the way. If you like the normal screw lock, they become closer in function. I still feel RRS is overall better in quality. In my experience of course.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

That is if your RRS ballhead does not fall apart in the field.

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny wrote:

evidently they don't do it all too often as there are quite a few of them out there "in the wild" and this open forum to report it on (as you are repetitively representing your one and seems only example). it is unfortunate that you are one of the negative statistics that exists in all manufacturing and usage of products. as with all things manufactered there is going to be a failure somewhere sometime. and that is a fact.

an example of another issues:
Arca Swiss Z1 http://www.tripodhead.com/Arca-Swiss%20Z1%20warning%20for%20SK_%20New%20090227.pdf
EOS T4i http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/14/Canon-extends-allergy-recall-on-EOS-Rebel-T4i-650D
the Canon 1D3 (one i was involved in)
the Canon 24-105 (one i was involved in)
the Nikon D800 (still brewing) (may purchase one this winter if needed)
and more
Canon 40mm pancake lens: http://www.photographybay.com/2012/08/16/canon-ef-40mm-f2-8-stm-af-problem-product-advisory/

then there is always the automobile and aviation industry and more.

Edited on Aug 16, 2012 at 08:41 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:40 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny wrote:

Man, you really hate RRS. Get over it.

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:03 AM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny wrote:

Or any manufacturer for that matter. I have used them for 6 years straight now without incident. I've certainly put some heavy and expensive loads on them and will continue to do so without reservation.

That's not to say they have never released a product without a defect. Unfortunately all manufacturers do.
When you experienced this faulty product, did you incur any damaged equipment? Did you call them? Did they take care of you?

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:34 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Sean Mills wrote:
The Z1 is indeed a fine ballhead, but if you want locks, I would recommend RRS all the way.

So you can just get the Z1 without a clamp then fit a RRS clamp onto it. Lots of people do that.

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:48 AM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Sure. You can.
Not my highest recommendation, but certainly an option.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

SJMs: but when there is a mistake in manufacture, the auto industry eventually "fesses up" and does a recall or repair for the model in question....

Do you think everyone reports on web sites? Perhaps my experience might provide a warning for those who (such as yourself) think they have a perfect ballhead from RRS...suppose yours falls apart in the field...then you might have different thoughts about what I have written.

"Man, you really hate RRS. Get over it." I think they manufacture some fine products. I am proud that they are an American company. I want them to have as many people employed as possible - I want them to continue to succeed as a business. So, no I don't hate them...I just point out where they have dropped the ball...and how they could improve.

That being said it is interesting to me how people give them such lavish praise...and how frequently newbees are recommended to purchase a RRS tripod and/or ballhead...from the same few people.

Anyway, RRS is a business. They do good things and they do things (or manufacture products) that may not be so good sometimes. One of the not so good things they do is oppose equal rights under the law for people who are gay (ie., homosexual) in California. Why...I don't know. It seems like a poor business decision to me...Moreover, each of us has people who are gay in our family - and we know some people who happen to be gay at work or wherever. Why those people - who are the same in every way, shape, form, ability and desire as me - should not have the same rights as me...and why RRS should be involved in a campaign to limit the rights/benefits of people who happen to be gay - I don't quite understand...can you explain that to me?

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:41 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Their position can't be explained rationally, since for them it's a religious conviction. I find their position reprehensible, particularly since the owners' own interracial marriage would have had them excommunicated from their own church a generation or two ago. I don't generally make a practice of calling out people on their personal lives, but their meddling in the personal lives and rights of others makes their hypocrisy relevant.

Given the loopholes in campaign finance law, there's a pretty good chance we will never hear about Joe Johnson's future political contributions unless he chooses to volunteer it. I doubt he will.

I do respect the company, and hope they continue to improve their products and respond to feedback, both positive and negative. But because my purchases help fund their political activity, I seek out alternatives from other manufacturers whenever possible.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Maybe because they eat too much Chick Filet.

Kidding.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM
smjphoto
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Just for the record: prop 8 is against gay marriage. Being against prop 8 is being for gay right to marriage.

I don't know what rrs's position is, but rdcny's statement about them is inconsistent with this.

Not trying to hijack or politicize the thread, just clarify a possible misunderstanding.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

The owner donated his own personal dollars. Not those of RRS.
Personally I support equality across the board. That includes the equality of supporting opinions that differ than mine.
So if the owner wants to spend his money that way, well personally it's a shame. But it's his money and he has well earned it.
You can't know that your dollars are going where you want them with any purchase. Someone in every organization is going to make money, from you, and spend it in a way you do not approve of.
For me it's a non issue, it's their right. As wrong as I believe their beliefs to be...

I can only judge RRS on the merit of their products and service. Not the extra curricular activities of the owner. Anything else, is unfortunately a bit hypocritical.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM
rdcny
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Yes they have (and I believe it is through RRS) supported with money (political donations) the side against gay marriage. By extension, that means if people cannot get married in the legal sphere (not in a religious sense), their significant others do not have a right to the health care of the other partner - or the pension funds of the significant other if he/she dies. So there are lots of "other" but yet extremely important things that get denied without that silly piece of paper from the government.

Yes it is fine to be against Prop 8 and use money to try and defeat it. This is America and everyone has a right to have an opinion and work on behalf of it. I have no problem with that. On the other hand, on these and other web sites, I can also point out what they (RRS) have done in political causes that seem not so nice, not so good. It is called voting with my wallet - I will be happy to buy RRS products again once they change their stance on Prop 8. I think everyone should boycott them and send them a note explaining why...Once RRS changes their position, then everyone should resume buying their products - with the caveat of what happened to me when using their BH-55 ballhead.

It seems to me a really bad business decision for RRS to be against Prop 8. It is their right to be against it.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:01 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

smjphoto wrote:
Just for the record: prop 8 is against gay marriage. Being against prop 8 is being for gay right to marriage.

I don't know what rrs's position is, but rdcny's statement about them is inconsistent with this.

Not trying to hijack or politicize the thread, just clarify a possible misunderstanding.

You're exactly correct regarding what Prop 8 is, and what being "against" Prop 8 means. This thread needed such a clarification, so thanks for that.

Does anyone else have any evidence as to what Mr. Johnson actually supports, or is hearsay all we have to go on?

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:23 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.