Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

It was very useful to have brightness in LR3. If I process images in LR4 I find they are better for then going through PS and adding some brightness. In LR4 exposure raises the contrast, and all I want to do is raise the brightness of the image. Its quite annoying

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:53 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #2 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

You can always choose to process with the old version.

Jul 14, 2012 at 05:11 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #3 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

true, but everything else is better in LR4

Jul 14, 2012 at 05:19 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

I tend to swap to the 2010 process, do the brightness/exposure juggling to get what i want, then swap back to 2012 process and continue. The change from 2010 to 2012 processing isn't completely seamless but its usually close enough for me.

Jul 14, 2012 at 07:21 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #5 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

pr4photos wrote:
It was very useful to have brightness in LR3. If I process images in LR4 I find they are better for then going through PS and adding some brightness. In LR4 exposure raises the contrast, and all I want to do is raise the brightness of the image. Its quite annoying

I am not sure your premiss about exposure raising the contrast is true. Exposure works mainly on the midtones. First, adjust the midtones. Second, adjust the contrast. Notice they are grouped together!
Then adjust the highlights, shadows, blacks and whites to taste.

It takes a bit to get used to this work flow but it is actually much more effective than LR3.

Hope this helps.

Jul 14, 2012 at 07:59 PM
tomrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

I agree with nma. It took me a while to get used to the new process, too.

I seriously considered not upgrading but now I'm glad I did.

Jul 14, 2012 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

In the old 2010 process, fiddling with exposure would pretty much scale the histogram by shifting the bright point and leaving the dark point alone. Everything in between moved in proportion. This had the effect of affecting contrast but not in the usual way that the contrast slider would do. To correct the overall change in the mid tones you would use the brightness slider.

In the 2012 process exposure seems to move the middle tones largely intact without affecting the dark or bright points much, thereby not affecting contrast appreciably - unless you have also fiddled with the other controls such as highlights, in which case there is some interaction with the exposure adjustment.

With the 2010 process I found that the recovery control often caused grey halos and other weird effects and so I preferred to salvage highlights by reducing exposure and then restore the mid-tones by increasing brightness. I can't work that way with 2012. Instead I need to fiddle with the highlights control and if that is not enough by itself then I play with exposure a little and restore some of the highlight adjustment until I get a nice balance. Care must still be taken to avoid too much highlight adjustment but it can be used more than the old recovery adjustment could.

- Alan

Jul 17, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

pr4photos wrote:

Agree, that and the default highlight recovery is way too aggressive. Another problem and the reason I've passed on process 2012, the highlight recovery isn't just brightness, it's also adding a massive dose of desaturation in the highlights, does very nasty things to faces and you can't stop it. The blacks tool are also way too tame, you used to be able to cut through flare with the blacks tool, not any more.

Jul 17, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

Beni, your observations about the new LR are spot on.
The new controls are "like magic" for those who shoot the kind of photos that LR/Adobe engineers shoot and then want them processed the way LR/Adobe engineers like a photo to be processed.
There is significantly less capability/flexibility in LR4 for doing the "wrong thing" or performing extreme adjustments than with LR3.
When I and a few others discussed this subject a while back on the Adobe Lightroom forum, many LR4 promoters/acolytes, including the people who make a living from LR4 tutorials and such-- responded by vehemently defending the new process. It seemed a classic--and disappointing--example of groupthink.
I kept both LR3 and LR4.

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:34 AM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.1 #10 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

Everyone has their own tastes w.r.t. processing technique- but is it necessary to keep both LR3 and LR4? Can you not just revert to the old process version in LR4 and get the same controls and conversions you had with LR3?

Norman

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:26 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #11 · I wish LR4 still had brightness!!!

No, it's theoretically not necessary to keep LR3, except that I've got the space on the computer and it was easier to mass-convert all the old files to PV2012. For what I'll call 'conventional pictorial photography', PV2012 is better after all.

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password