New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · L-plate for 1DX

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L-plate for 1DX

Anyone that have seen or tried any L-plate for the new Canon 1DX body? I'm interested in all brands but especially the new one from RRS. It's a new style and I kind of like the idea of the new modular design. If it's still as good and stable as the old style L-plates. And having the Hex key inside the plate is rather nice also.

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L-plate for 1DX

looks like RRS pulled out all the stops on redesigning the L for this one. impressive piece of art and science. oh i have a feeling its rock solid.
and you know Kirk, always second to the party with theirs. they need to see how its done first.

Jul 14, 2012 at 04:55 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L-plate for 1DX

sjms
and you know Kirk, always second to the party with theirs. they need to see how its done first.

It might be referred to as a more economical approach to R&D, that in the past has served many foreign manufactures well.

Gerard

Jul 14, 2012 at 07:15 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L-plate for 1DX

sjms wrote:
looks like RRS pulled out all the stops on redesigning the L for this one. impressive piece of art and science. oh i have a feeling its rock solid.

Yes the new style and functions looks very nice

Jul 14, 2012 at 09:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L-plate for 1DX

Taoguy wrote:
It might be referred to as a more economical approach to R&D, that in the past has served many foreign manufactures well.

Gerard

regretfully very true

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · L-plate for 1DX

I was actually leery of these new modular plates until I got a BNEX7-L Set for my new mirrorless camera last week. The vertical piece is keyed into the horizontal piece via two pins, and when you tighten up the hex nut properly it's as solid as a single piece of metal. My L-plate is small but I bet the key fit is as accurate on the larger plates too. It's a nice design and looks like it's going to be just as reliable as the older design.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · L-plate for 1DX

i have one on m D7k and one on my X10

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · L-plate for 1DX

I just ordered the L-plate. They sell RRS equipment in many shops in the Netherlands and Sweden for about the same prices as the RRS online shop

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · L-plate for 1DX

hope it works beautifully for you

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · L-plate for 1DX

I only need the camera now

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM
pcho
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · L-plate for 1DX

Just a question, if I purchase the B1DX-L L plate I do not need to order the stand alone plate. I just want to make sure I don't double purchase.

Perry

Jul 15, 2012 at 02:14 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · L-plate for 1DX

pcho wrote:
Just a question, if I purchase the B1DX-L L plate I do not need to order the stand alone plate. I just want to make sure I don't double purchase.

Perry

When I asked, they told me that the L-plate include the base-normal plate. And you can use only that one if you like to do so.
Look at the pics on the RRS website

Jul 15, 2012 at 03:23 AM
pcho
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · L-plate for 1DX

Lars Johnsson wrote:
When I asked, they told me that the L-plate include the base-normal plate. And you can use only that one if you like to do so.
Look at the pics on the RRS website

Thanks Lar, I have and that is my conclusion. I think the base plate is the same as the standalone base plate. I think they should clarify that. They also should have an option for those who purchase the standalone base plate to purchase the L part of the plate.

I nearly ordered the stand alone plate and the entire L plate and that would have been foolish.

Perry

Jul 15, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · L-plate for 1DX

RRS write that you can use the L-plate like 3 different plates
" use base plate alone, or use L-plate with snug fit to side of camera, or use L-plate in its extended position"

Jul 15, 2012 at 03:30 AM
shooter00

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · L-plate for 1DX

Link to the website.....

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B1DX-L&type=4&eq=

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · L-plate for 1DX

That plate is just a completely different design from the one I got. I'm assuming that the vertical piece is a perfect fit into the slot in the base of the horizontal piece. I wonder if the slot is grooved. With the camera vertical and heavy glass on the front that's some stress on what looks like a narrow piece.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · L-plate for 1DX

peter_n wrote:
That plate is just a completely different design from the one I got. I'm assuming that the vertical piece is a perfect fit into the slot in the base of the horizontal piece. I wonder if the slot is grooved. With the camera vertical and heavy glass on the front that's some stress on what looks like a narrow piece.

What do you mean by a "completely different design from the one you got" Did you buy one from RRS

With heavy glass you use a lens-plate or lens-foot instead of the camera-plate.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · L-plate for 1DX

Lars Johnsson wrote:
What do you mean by a "completely different design from the one you got" Did you buy one from RRS

With heavy glass you use a lens-plate or lens-foot instead of the camera-plate.

Yes as in post #6 above - I got a BNEX7-L Set from RRS which is for a small camera and the way the two pieces connect is quite different from the model being discussed in this thread.

I take your point about lens plate/foot but I use a Nikkor 17-55/2.8 which is very end-heavy and there are no plates/feet for it (and it overpowers my Markins Q3T).

Jul 15, 2012 at 04:47 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · L-plate for 1DX

Ok I get it that you have another different L-plate from RRS.

Is it the 17-55/2,8 lens that weight 754 grams you have? If so there is no way it overpowers your Markin Q3 ballhead. I also own the Q3 and use it with much larger and a lot more heavy lenses. Markins say the maximum load for that head is 30kg. I don't trust maximum load capacity from the makers. But 754 grams against 30kg !!!

Jul 15, 2012 at 05:09 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · L-plate for 1DX

I'm not sure of the weight, but it's Nikon's 17-55 DX lens that I use on a Fuji S5. There's no collar or foot for the lens so I have to use the camera L-plate. When you have the friction set correctly for the combo on the Q3T, if you go off center by >=25° the ballhead starts to bind. It's the ballhead, I have two Q3T heads and they behave identically. Put the same combo on the Arca-Swiss Z1 and everything is as smooth as silk. It's annoying, but will soon be a non-problem as I'm selling all of my dSLR gear.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.