FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

raven4ns
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

How many of you use your macro set-ups hand held? I will be buying a Canon 430EX II to go with my Canon macro lens to shoot flowers and the occasional butterfly. The flash is so I don't have need of a tripod to get the shots I want. Essentially, my intent is to shoot them as abstracts using the macro lens to give me the look I want.
Any macro work I have done, which is minimal, was done in natural light and often necessitated a slow shutter speed and a tripod. In using a flash I am hoping to avoid the slow shutter speed and the tripod. I am hoping there is a few of you who shoot in this manner and can give me some insight as to your experiences. Thank you.

Tim

Jul 13, 2012 at 08:55 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

I think you will find that many on this board shoot handheld. I am not the expert, but do shoot handheld 90% of the time with my macro shots. I find the critters don't normally stay still long enough for me to set up and get in position with a tripod

Jul 13, 2012 at 09:11 AM
denis55
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

tripod? what,s a tripod?

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

Anything that stays in one place potentially brings a tripod into use, certianly for a stack series. Anything else has to be hand-held. This has been the situation for decades of film macro. The ability to change ISO between shots and image stability make much more handheld practical. I don't use flash at present.

Harold

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:25 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

I also shoot handheld both flash and natural light but do often use a pole that I hold in my left hand along with a bit of camera, or find other ways to stabilise the camera when shooting
Brian v.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

Handheld 95%+ of the time, on occasion use a monopod. I've shot both film and digital and mostly with the 100 non-L, that will change soon however.

I've been having a great time with extension tubes on a 70-200 f4L IS and 300 f4L IS, and am using IS more everyday. A new 100L IS is in my near future...after I sell my trusty ole 100

I don' use flash much, just picked up a nice MT-24 twin flash from an FMer, but don't have enough time with it to comment on it's use...natural light is my preference!

Here's a shot from a few weeks back...bees are fast when just starting a pollen gathering...but you can shootem...this is more close-up than a macro shot.

Handheld, griped 40D, 100 f2.8 non-L macro, mid-afternoon

Edited on Jul 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

LordV wrote:
often use a pole that I hold in my left hand along with a bit of camera, or find other ways to

I find myself at ground level quite a lot. I have to remember to turn off IS if I do lean on such a solid support.

Harold

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM
raven4ns
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Handheld macro/close-up shots

Thank you everyone for your responses, I appreciate it.

Tim

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.