Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Nokia 808 rocks

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nokia 808 rocks

Quite literally.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/flow/item/15244_Extreme_Nokia_808_Rich_Recordi.php

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Nokia 808 rocks

Video quality looks great but the audio sounds muffled.

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:43 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Nokia 808 rocks

They're incredibly stupid for not making an Android phone but maybe an old company is just more comfortable working with other old companies like Microsoft.

Way to guarantee your path into irrelevance Nokia.

Jul 13, 2012 at 02:15 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Nokia 808 rocks

FlyPenFly wrote:
They're incredibly stupid for not making an Android phone but maybe an old company is just more comfortable working with other old companies like Microsoft.

3 years ago, Nokia and RIM had significant market share. The world can move against you quickly.

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:11 PM
coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Nokia 808 rocks

FlyPenFly wrote:

Nah... Windows Phones are alright.

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:19 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #6 · Nokia 808 rocks

Me and some other photography moderators of a Dutch website have tested the Nokia 808 Pureview for about 2 weeks. You can find the (Dutch) reviews here:

http://tweakers.net/productreview/60769/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html
http://tweakers.net/productreview/60979/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html
http://tweakers.net/productreview/60981/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html
http://tweakers.net/productreview/61049/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html
http://tweakers.net/productreview/61060/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html

The samples should speak for themselves.

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Nokia 808 rocks

I suspect come October when Windows 8 final is released, Windows Phones will start gaining some major traction against both Android and iOS. A Windows 8 phone with the Nokia 808 camera/ video tech would be a huge draw if they are able to slim it down.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:34 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.1 #8 · Nokia 808 rocks

I definitely want a Nokia Pureview phone to be my next phone. I just hope the software side is just as great as the hardware. Does the 808 offer DNG or RAW files?

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:39 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nokia 808 rocks

The camera software isn't as good as the hardware. And no RAW/DNG, just jpg.
The camera had a variable ND-filter, so you can't adjust aperture or shutter speed. Aperture is stuck at f/2.4 which gives enough (or sometimes too much) DoF because of the 35mm-equivalent of about 28mm f/8.
Focussing works with the touchscreen, but doesn't work very responsive. Getting the right exposure is a challenge, because you can't decide what should have the right exposure. I took some images at bright sunlight of the Eiffel tower, but it kept underexposing the tower because of the bright sky.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:58 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Nokia 808 rocks

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I suspect come October when Windows 8 final is released, Windows Phones will start gaining some major traction against both Android and iOS. A Windows 8 phone with the Nokia 808 camera/ video tech would be a huge draw if they are able to slim it down.

I doubt it, WP7 and WP7.5 were already quite good Phone OS's, better than Android 2.3 IMHO (and 2.3 is still the most common Android version in stores). They flopped in the market (WP7 was outsold by WP6.5 during its lifetime and WP6.5 is an atrocity against phones, WP7.5 didn't sell much better than 7).

Right now it's damned near impossible to be the #3 phone OS unless you have something light years ahead of everybody else as iOS was on introduction, and also Android (iOS had the best UI and hardware design, Android brought similar capabilities without the Apple lockin and also a usable smartphone experience at a low cost). WP7.5 and the upcoming WP8 should be great phone OS's, but unless MS comes up with something seriously ground breaking they aren't going to go anywhere.

WP8 is looking to be the OS/2 of the phone market. Excellent and ignored.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Nokia 808 rocks

mawz wrote:
I doubt it, WP7 and WP7.5 were already quite good Phone OS's, better than Android 2.3 IMHO (and 2.3 is still the most common Android version in stores). They flopped in the market (WP7 was outsold by WP6.5 during its lifetime and WP6.5 is an atrocity against phones, WP7.5 didn't sell much better than 7).

Right now it's damned near impossible to be the #3 phone OS unless you have something light years ahead of everybody else as iOS was on introduction, and also Android (iOS had the best UI and hardware design, Android brought similar capabilities without the Apple lockin
...Show more

It will be interesting to see what happens. I have been using Windows 8 for a few months on a small laptop just to play around with and I certainly can see how it could easily and quite seamlessly integrate with a future Windows Phone OS. My main systems have always been OSX and before that Mac OS 7,8,9! That said, I have never gotten along with the restrictions and reduced capabilities of iOS on an iPhone as compared to Android. Ice Cream Sandwich is nice but Jellybean looks like a major leap.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:09 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Nokia 808 rocks

The biggest mistake people make is discounting what Microsoft can do from behind but that was under Bill Gates. Under Balmer, the organization just seems confused and internally their teams are under a lot of strife and extremely low morale outside of the games division.

At least for the next ten years, it seems MS won't make a dent in phones like they couldn't make a dent on the Internet. Their best platform right now is Surface and whatever the next paradigm shift will be. They've lost the phone war and I think internally they don't see winning it. Google and Apple are too entrenched and far outpacing in innovation for MS to be a credible threat.

Luckily for MS (unlike BB) they have a massive cushion for them to re-invent themselves and I'd be excited to see them as the underdog in whatever will be big after the post tablet world.

Edited on Jul 13, 2012 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Nokia 808 rocks

U.C. wrote:
Me and some other photography moderators of a Dutch website have tested the Nokia 808 Pureview for about 2 weeks. You can find the (Dutch) reviews here:

http://tweakers.net/productreview/60769/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html
http://tweakers.net/productreview/60979/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html
http://tweakers.net/productreview/60981/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html
http://tweakers.net/productreview/61049/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html
http://tweakers.net/productreview/61060/nokia-pureview-808-zwart.html

The samples should speak for themselves.

Well, yes..... but it would be awfully nice if someone would be willing to take the trouble and translate this into English....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:29 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Nokia 808 rocks

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens. I have been using Windows 8 for a few months on a small laptop just to play around with and I certainly can see how it could easily and quite seamlessly integrate with a future Windows Phone OS. My main systems have always been OSX and before that Mac OS 7,8,9! That said, I have never gotten along with the restrictions and reduced capabilities of iOS on an iPhone as compared to Android. Ice Cream Sandwich is nice but Jellybean looks like a major leap.

I'm currently using Windows 8 RP on my dev machine (and earlier versions, I installed Dev Preview on my netbook when it came out last fall and have been using 8 regularly since then) and running Jellybean on my phone (Galaxy Nexus). Win8 is overall very nice although I remain unsold on Metro for Desktops or Laptops and Universal Search. I'd really like the option of a Start Menu and no Metro apps as well as the ability to realistically ignore Universal Search. I consider Win8 (and Win7) to be significantly better than OS X Lion, Snow Leopard was the last really good version of OS X IMHO (I like Launchpad even less than I like Metro and Apple broke a lot of things in Lion, including stuff dating back to System 6 and earlier like Save As).

As to Jellybean, it's mostly just a tweak of ICS. Not a major leap at all, and a step backwards in some cases (the ICS keyboard is better for example). ICS on the other hand was a major leap forward for Android, grossly superior to previous versions.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Nokia 808 rocks

U.C. wrote:
The camera software isn't as good as the hardware. And no RAW/DNG, just jpg.
The camera had a variable ND-filter, so you can't adjust aperture or shutter speed. Aperture is stuck at f/2.4 which gives enough (or sometimes too much) DoF because of the 35mm-equivalent of about 28mm f/8.
Focussing works with the touchscreen, but doesn't work very responsive. Getting the right exposure is a challenge, because you can't decide what should have the right exposure. I took some images at bright sunlight of the Eiffel tower, but it kept underexposing the tower because of the bright sky.

This is a bit disappointing.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 13, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Nokia 808 rocks

mawz wrote:
Snow Leopard was the last really good version of OS X IMHO (I like Launchpad even less than I like Metro and Apple broke a lot of things in Lion, including stuff dating back to System 6 and earlier like Save As).

As to Jellybean, it's mostly just a tweak of ICS. Not a major leap at all, and a step backwards in some cases (the ICS keyboard is better for example). ICS on the other hand was a major leap forward for Android, grossly superior to previous versions.

Unfortunately, I have to agree about Snow Leopard being the last good (reliable, solid, compatible) version of OS X. I'm a bit jealous you are running Jellybean. From what I have seen, it looks much smoother and sleeker and I have read certain parts of the OS such as audio have been vastly improved upon. Oh well.

There is a workaround to add the start menu back to the Windows 8 desktop. I did it for my wife. I sort of suspect Microsoft will add it back in the final version.

Edited on Jul 13, 2012 at 08:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2012 at 08:43 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Nokia 808 rocks

Project butter supposedly improved the responsiveness of JB quite a bit.

Jul 13, 2012 at 08:44 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Nokia 808 rocks

FlyPenFly wrote:

One would think everyone working for Google would be HUGE with all these code names based on fatty foods.

Jul 13, 2012 at 08:47 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Nokia 808 rocks

FlyPenFly wrote:

It's a lot smoother, but responsiveness seems similar so far. They certainly killed the jitter

Jul 13, 2012 at 08:52 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Nokia 808 rocks

mawz wrote:
...WP7 and WP7.5 were already quite good Phone OS's...and WP6.5 is an atrocity against phones...

As a Windows 6.5 user, I can only agree. When you get past puberty, it's fine to have some pimples 'n' all, but in the case of Windows Mobile at 6.5, if your left foot is a size 12 (facing backwards), your right foot is a sheep hoof, and you reek of the digital dung that was HTC's "TouchFlo", which was smeared all over the OS itself... then you will not get asked to the (sales) prom.

Then there were the memory leaks, system bugs, hangups (especially related to SMS) etc.

I am looking forward to a Windows 8 phone, though! The demos look and feel nice.

Jul 13, 2012 at 09:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password