Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Hello folkersons. It's been awhile since I've posted/blogged/done ANYTHING on the internet besides buy/sell camera crap. Anyways, first on the chopping block is a college senior I shot back in late April.

Personally, I'm a fan of these shots, but let me know what you think.

Also, in an effort to prevent more of this (aka turning FM into a giant circle jerk), I'm going to say that C&C is required.

Every comment most include AT LEAST ONE THING I CAN IMPROVE ON.
Please and thank you.

Maybe that will turn into this getting no feedback, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Enjoy!

15. At this point, her hair was OUT OF CONTROL. But I still like it anyways.

Edited on Jul 13, 2012 at 07:07 AM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Mrhappi
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Thanks for sharing #12 ftw

Jul 13, 2012 at 06:29 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Welcome back Mike. I like the processing and you obviously have a good rapport with the subject. As for improvement, I feel like you were safe compositionally, lots of center composed and not much visual work for the viewer.
cheers,
Dave

Jul 13, 2012 at 07:03 AM
Todd
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

A nice set! Well done. I like the shots where she is laughing and feeling natural. She look very relaxed in all the photos. The lighting is also good. Well done.

T

Jul 13, 2012 at 07:05 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Pretty nice set overall... my comments-

#4- The way she's standing and the way her top falls... she looks a little wide and flat in that shot. Probably just how her top is blowing over her one arm.

#11- I think it might have worked better if all the railings were rusted. The white rails in front of her are too bright and I think become a distracting element. I could see how it would work if there were some inanimate object behind the rails as the subject... then maybe it becomes "graphic" to use a popular term.

#12- The way her hand is turned toward the camera, it looks a little funny.

#15- I like the out of control hair

7 and 9 are my favorites.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

I think some worked better than others..
what lens did you use for these?...some the distortion is making her nose look even bigger than it is 7and 9 for example...one for me isn't flattering for her and i'd be surprised if she was happy with it.

4 is super hot...wished the guy behind her wasn't there or a bit more out of frame

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM
markperez
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

nice photographs

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

one and two-not flattering
three-no separation
most others are too centered, boring
i think you chose the wrong lens or were simply too close
its obvious she was having a good time

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

bbourizk wrote:
I think some worked better than others..
what lens did you use for these?...some the distortion is making her nose look even bigger than it is 7and 9 for example...one for me isn't flattering for her and i'd be surprised if she was happy with it.

I understand your thought train, but I'm not sure I agree. If I can paraphrase your thought, it's "she has a larger than average nose, therefore we should try to make it appear smaller." I think most people are more confident about their own features than you might think these days.

I was taking pictures of a dance recital the other week.... and one of the girls only had one hand. The funny thing was, she was so confident about it, I didn't even notice it until I was looking at my raw files. I asked the instructor about it, and her comment to me was that she jokes about it all the time, and that I should make no effort to conceal the fact.

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:00 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Welcome back!

Pressed for time today, so just a few nits on the first few photos, in keeping with your request (and my usual habits)

#1 Choose a background without the bright white stripe. Also, it's not a great view of her eye from this camera perspective. We see a tiny bit of the far eye, so ideally a turn of her head away from the cam would help.

#2 Like this one, Mike. She is "missing" and arm, though and I think a crop to put her off center would yield a bit of improvement.

And a general comment - She looks better in the laughing shots than the serious ones. I know you need to do both kinds, though.

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:18 PM

Max10
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

#14 is my favorite…would like to see the colored version.

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:22 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

3, 6, 9 and 12 for me. Especially 9 - great expression and really energetic, inviting capture.

I do think #1 is less than flattering. A longer focal length and a slight change in the angle of her face (i.e lessening her nose) would help.

I like the framing on # 11 (especially the pole on the right!), but the scooter is a bit distracting and I'd like to see more of her face. Looks like you needed just a tad more space between those handrails to make this one sing.

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:23 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Mr Kris wrote:
I understand your thought train, but I'm not sure I agree. If I can paraphrase your thought, it's "she has a larger than average nose, therefore we should try to make it appear smaller." I think most people are more confident about their own features than you might think these days.

I was taking pictures of a dance recital the other week.... and one of the girls only had one hand. The funny thing was, she was so confident about it, I didn't even notice it until I was looking at my raw files. I asked the instructor about it,
...Show more

Kris
I think as pro photographers we have to make our clients look as good as we possibly can.
Whether it's posing a large person a certain way and using different lighting to make that person look better. We would not shoot them with them front onto the camera etc. People got to pros to have their portraits taken because they expect to get great results.

Some of these photos in my opinion are not flattering to her, The other shots at a longer focal length are much better.

Jul 13, 2012 at 02:26 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Dude, Mike... really nice! I think your processing has a more refined look to it in this set and it's consistently good! I recall someone commenting on your B&W's in the wedding forum saying they looked "flat", but it looks like you improved those where they look really good.

As for comments/critque, you know I usually go to YOU for advice, but I think #15 is nice but the hair is a bit too crazy out of the set. Also 13, 14 I feel are weaker in the set, I like me some wide portraits, but maybe it's the center comp that throws these a tad off for me. Lastly, most of the images have a warmer skin tone to them, but #3 appears to be less of it and I think it's a very pleasant skin tone which I preferred out of the set.

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Just because I found them all enjoyable enough to keep looking through them says something, because there are hundreds here and on other sites, and in actual publication, that seem to only elicit a cursory glance.

So, from my non expert eye, I really like number one. Not sure why. Just do.

2. I found the reflections in her eyes distracting as I kept wondering what is in the fore ground in front of her. that is just really picky though. Other than that, another nice image.

3,4,5 weren't doing it for me compositionally. I agree with the too centered comment on a couple as well. Not that it can't happen, but then you have to hav something else that separates it from just a photograph.

6,7,8,9,10 I love, with 9 and 10 being my favorites. The shots that could make the viewer fall for the subject. They warm the heart, and make you smile.

11. What a great location! Just seems like you didn't maximize the opportunity here. I find the space between the rails to be too confining to really do this womans lovely face justice. This is a good set for her to show some attitude i think. The not-so-nice girl next door. But, that being said, I'm nt a people photographer. So, take it with a grain of salt.

12 just felt a little awkward.

13,14, Is the centered thing. Just not drawn in.

15, I don't care about the wild hair. I think it is great! The only thing this photo is missing. . .is the logo. CK, Neiman Marcus, Chanel etc. Get my drift?! I don't think that the average reader of Glamour, Cosmo or half a dozen other women's magazines would study that photo for flaws. It says something, it draws you in, it is what I would expect for a nice womens product ad in one of those magazines.

Dennis

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:47 PM
BOB WOOD
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

#-1 A rule of thumb that I was taught was not to have the nose extend out past the end the cheek.

Overall a very good shoot

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

The more environmental portraits I make, the more often I have to ask myself, "Why is my subject in this spot? What's the story I'm trying to tell here?" With that as a constant refrain in my head, I look at these images and ask, "Why is the subject here, at this specific location, doing this particular thing?" Lots of these images have a plausible story to tell. Images 4-10 fall into this category for me. Others, not so much. Specifically, image 3: why is she actually leaning into the ivy? Who would under normal circumstances do that? Wouldn't a shallow depth of field on the face with the ivy as a blurred background have made more sense? Image 11: why would she choose this alley location to sit, and why would she be looking through the staircase railing at me? Some of my favorite dance photographs (esp. those of Joe McNally) use the juxtaposition of costumed dancers in decidedly untypical locations, and the stark contrast between the two is the story. Here, I'm not so sure; the contrast just isn't stark enough to convey that same feeling. Now, put her in a wedding dress or something else, or maybe a different pose, and maybe it works. And most clearly, number 12: why is she sitting, alone, in the middle of the sidewalk at the beach?

A few other, random observations/comments: She's obviously a very attractive subject, a "target rich environment" for portraiture. I love number 2 for her pose, expression and light, although the environment doesn't help in this particular frame. I like images 4-10, although the composition in number 5, especially her distance and expression, evoke loneliness for me, unlike number 4, where it's more contemplative. I also like number 15, not so much for the story it might tell, but because it's a bit more "fashiony". I might have even asked her to shake her hair more, since the wind is obviously an issue here.

Thanks for asking pointedly for criticism. I think we too often gloss over this, to our own detriment. Unless we are challenged to actively examine our own and each others' images, we tend to look at them only superficially, and thus, do not grow and improve ourselves.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:30 PM
KAJed
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

My only crit would be #3. Because shes perfectly face on her face looks much wider than in every other shot. The low contrast on her face just accentuates it.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:40 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Nice try with the required C&C, seems to be a struggle so far. I hope more add to it. I can understand though as this is a strong set.

This set is a bit hard for me to nitpick on... but here goes

10) Not that flattering on her right leg.

11) She almost gets lost in the clutter

12) Ground looks a bit dirty to randomly decide to sit on. She looks out of place.

15) Was she about to stumble or fall over? How can that much lean be natural?

My favorite is number 6. So simple, light, and fun. More than the rest it makes the viewer feel they are getting a glimpse of who she really is.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:45 PM
zalmyb
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · senior// hannah. (I'm alive! And back to FMing!)

Nice to see you posting again.

disclaimer: I have no clue what I'm talking about

generally I like them very much but I'm just gonna list what I don't

1. doesn't do anything for me.

2. sweet expression. centered comp, highlights are a bit distracting.

3. great colors, I just wish there wasn't that blotch of white sky showing.

4. nice lighting. I assume you tried waiting for the background to be semi empty... Also she looks older than she is, maybe try having her tilt her head up a bit (towards the sun)

5. I really like this one, something about the bird, her pose and the three musketeers/stooges on the right. I "might" crop out a bit from the bottom and left.

6. Love this one, she just looks so happy and alive. But I've realized that sometimes I'll see that but all the girl sees is wrinkles, arms look large...

7. The best of the set. great smile, pose, hair in the wind is great. nitpick is the rock (post?) against her right side, not sure if anything could have been done about that.

8. nice, though crop by the legs looks a bit off, and they are a lot colder than her upper (could you have moved to your left to get her against the sky more?)

9. awesomeness.

10. pole out of head bothers me, but if you're okay with that then its fine.

11. love the colors in this one.

12. nice, left ankle/foot look a bit odd. cars make it look a bit messy.

13. very cute.

14. even better. actually I really like this one.

15. doesn't do anything for me.

Keep in mind that overall I don't get the point of senior shots, so take everything I say with a huge grain of salt.

Just as an aside, do you ever try for a regular glam shot with say a 105mm? It's something I never do, but am thinking of more and more (I never stray too far from normal lens)

Jul 13, 2012 at 06:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password