Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · medium format film

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · medium format film

I've been thinking more and more about film lately - which I don't think I've touched in 20 years since high school - and I've also been trying to mess with my normal 35mm composition and approach, and am wondering if medium format film might be a good path to go down.

particularly, I like a 1x1 aspect ratio. I would also like to try waist level composition just to completely mess with my approach. I'm fine with one lens - a 35 or a 50mm (35mm equivalent) would be fine.

can y'all recommend a setup? I'm interested in buying used and don't want to drop a ton of $.... if I could keep it under $1k it'd be great.

thanks

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:58 AM
brockwhittaker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · medium format film

Don't mind me, I'm just commenting to mark this. Wondering the same thing.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:02 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · medium format film

You can probably find a hasselblad 500cm and a 60mm lens in your budget.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:08 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · medium format film

I was looking at these on b&h:

blad 500s

quite a few options with little difference. is there something to look for/lookout for?

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:22 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · medium format film

I reccommend a Hasselblad 500 C/M with upgraded focusing screen, two 120 backs and 50mm F4 T* lens (equiv to roughly 35mm on film) and 80mm 2.8 T* lens

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:16 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · medium format film

To be honest I'd go with a TLR.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:33 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · medium format film

saneproduction wrote:
I reccommend a Hasselblad 500 C/M with upgraded focusing screen, two 120 backs and 50mm F4 T* lens (equiv to roughly 35mm on film) and 80mm 2.8 T* lens

since i'm absolutely clueless about this, why would you get two backs?

also, is there a particular focusing screen you recommend? i take it that manual focusing on the original screen isn't the best/easiest?

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:43 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · medium format film

Beni wrote:

i'm not against this option. is there a reason you'd prefer one of these over something like the hasselblad?

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:44 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · medium format film

Beni wrote:

If you want waist level, the Mamiya 330 is a pro system with interchangeable lenses, for a very low price. Personally, I like to have auto-exposure, which means metering too. The Pentax 67II is my choice, but I've owned older 67 with TTL finder and that was nice too. I find Pentax the easiest to get good results.

Good luck!

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:53 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · medium format film

Just a little suggestion here, considering you want to be cautious with your money, you may not want to buy the "champagne" of 6x6 systems right off the bat.

Why don't you look into the Bronica SQ series? The cost is a fraction (seriously) of a Hasselblad system, but it's enough for you to learn if you'd like to go further down the road with a Hasselblad, or if you'd rather go 645, or 6x7. Despite the ridiculous name (Zenzanon), Bronica's lenses are exceptional - Tamron bought the company for a reason - and were once a mainstay of the wedding/event crowd. The body/back/80mm/WLF used to sell at B&H 10 years ago for $2500. You can find them on eBay or KEH for less than $500.

Or you can buy some Hasselblad stuff, get frustrated, and then sell to me at an enormous discount. You know, whatever.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

corposant
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · medium format film

goosemang wrote:
since i'm absolutely clueless about this, why would you get two backs?

also, is there a particular focusing screen you recommend? i take it that manual focusing on the original screen isn't the best/easiest?

So you can put one type of film in one, one in another, and switch as you see fit.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:54 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · medium format film

corposant wrote:
Just a little suggestion here, considering you want to be cautious with your money, you may not want to buy the "champagne" of 6x6 systems right off the bat.

Why don't you look into the Bronica SQ series? The cost is a fraction (seriously) of a Hasselblad system, but it's enough for you to learn if you'd like to go further down the road with a Hasselblad, or if you'd rather go 645, or 6x7. Despite the ridiculous name (Zenzanon), Bronica's lenses are exceptional - Tamron bought the company for a reason - and were once a mainstay of the
...Show more

yeah, i can price out a bronica SQ system on KEH for like $600 with a 50mm lens

maybe i'll go down that road. aside from the body, lens and back, are there any other things i need to purchase to get rolling with this?

Jul 13, 2012 at 06:07 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · medium format film

oops, forgot the viewfinder. that's another $189!

damn this hobby

Jul 13, 2012 at 06:17 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · medium format film

I have a very nice condition 501cm with 80 C T* and 80 CB T* lenses (I assume you would only need one 80 though ) which I will be parting with soon. I really enjoyed the setup, but 'blads are kind of pricey.

Jul 13, 2012 at 09:23 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · medium format film

80 mm on 6x6 is much wider than one might think. It's like a 50 mm BOTH ways, which makes it much more versatile than a normal on 135 cameras. I'd start there and skip the 50/4 to begin with.

Jul 13, 2012 at 09:52 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · medium format film

goosemang wrote:
i'm not against this option. is there a reason you'd prefer one of these over something like the hasselblad?

Weight, simplicity, stealthy/quite and cheap enough you will not think twice about carrying it with you everywhere. A simple TLR is a great first MF camera and is also capable of superb image quality. I recommend the older Rolleicords, Yashicaflex, Minoltacord, etc. The Mamiya's with interchangeable lenses are fine but negate many of the benefits I mentioned above. They are very heavy, not so compact, not so simple (they tend to break down more often in my experience). Should be able to pick something up for $100-$200.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · medium format film

I would have suggested a rolleiflex but it has a 50mm fov.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · medium format film

ken.vs.ryu wrote:

I thought that was what he was looking for in the OP? 35 or 50 equiv. in 35MM.

I will add that I have had many Rolleicords and Rolleiflexes over the years and they are rock solid. Never an issue. I also love Blads and it was my main camera for over a decade. With an older, pre-CF 80 and WLF, there is not much difference in weight/size/carry between a Rolleiflex and a blad in that base configuration. But a Rolliecord is much much lighter and cheaper of course.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · medium format film

ken.vs.ryu wrote:

It's more like a 43-45mm FoV, 80mm on 6x6 is wider than 50mm on 135.

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:00 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · medium format film

I'm quite happy with my little Bronny ... sold my Hasselblad setup, as it wasn't worth the expense sitting around my house. Granted, I shoot the Mamiya 7 more, but the Bronica is an excellent setup to have for very little $$. There was a rediculous deal in Buy and Sell on a whole ETRS setup not long ago...

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:10 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password