Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

Have fun!

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:39 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

Looks like you are re-visiting a great trip Karen.
I like the comp. I like the colors in the sky.
On the downsized version looks like some blown out areas mixed in the yellows of the sky, above the bridge. Also an odd orange-y shape..smoke?
To me the vignette at the top is too noticeable.

Scott

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

Nice composition Karen. I've only crossed the river once and didn't "see" that picture! How did you like all the locks on the bridge fence??

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

Yes, Scott, probably a bit less vignette might be better. (I'm lowering the opacity on the vignette layer to 20%.) Yes, the brightest part of the sky was deliberately blown to white where the sun was brightest because that's what the sunrise looked like - too bright to hold detail even with the greater log range of my Mark I eyeball. Blowing out bright sunlight is sometimes the best way to render it, I believe.

And the the orange shape was some sort of smoke/water vapor that contrasted to the sky. I kept it 'cause I like it.

Edited on Jul 14, 2012 at 02:14 AM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:52 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

CosmicCruiser wrote:
Nice composition Karen. I've only crossed the river once and didn't "see" that picture! How did you like all the locks on the bridge fence??

Thanks, Robert! I took a large number of images - so many sorting through them is something of a chore. In the past couple of years I've only posted a few. I like the locks and we left our own.

Here's a night view I made from our room at the Hyatt and a random photographer snapping the locks.

Jul 14, 2012 at 01:57 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

Beautiful cathedral. I like the composition including the bridge, it invites us into the shot nicely. I think the artificats in the sky could be compression or posterization. I agree that letting it blow out was probably the right choice though. It is just so ever so slightly off level IMHO. Your second night shot is also lovely. Cheers - Paul

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

Thanks, Paul!

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:17 PM
robertjm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

What's the story behind all those padlocks?

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:55 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

A couple puts their names or initials on a lock and locks it to the fence and they are supposed to stay together as long as the lock is on the fece or the symbolic equivalent or somesuch.

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:34 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

AuntiPode wrote:
Have fun!

I like this one a lot. I am not a fan of vignette, but that is more of a preference thing. I agree with what you say regards blown out sun.

There are a few bright objects along the bottom that could be cloned out. The smoke? I would leave it.

Love the night view.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:55 PM
robertjm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

There's a fence somewhere in China I saw once on The Amazing Race with a ton of locks too. Wonder if it's the same idea? Bet the city of Colgne will never tear that fence down!! :-)

AuntiPode wrote:
A couple puts their names or initials on a lock and locks it to the fence and they are supposed to stay together as long as the lock is on the fece or the symbolic equivalent or somesuch.

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:30 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cologne Cathedral at sunrise

I suspect the locks on bridge fence meme started somewhere else, perhaps Paris, but it seems contagious.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password