Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

leongty

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

Posted this on the Canon SLR forum and I don't normally cross-post but... well... I love shooting weddings and thought I'd share it with all the guys and gals here...

Anyway, had the camera for more than 2 weeks now and had a chance to shoot a wedding with it, and here are some of my thoughts on the camera with photos from events and weddings ==> http://www.stevenleong.com/blog/?p=1629

Comments welcome.

Jul 13, 2012 at 02:46 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

love that fireworks shot! Nice review, thanks for sharing. Cant wait for mine to arrive...loving the 5D3 but the 1DX is going to be insane!

Jul 13, 2012 at 06:07 AM
ted nghiem

p.1 #3 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

oh man... the 1D X... I really would like to have this camera.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM
wfr2
• • •
p.1 #4 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

Nice real world review. I understand the 1Dx has basically the same AF system as my 5D3 and I am disappointed in how difficult it is to see the AF points in my 5D3 compared to my 1D4. Your thoughts?

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:31 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

thanks for posting, I want this camera.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:46 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #6 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

wfr2 wrote:
Nice real world review. I understand the 1Dx has basically the same AF system as my 5D3 and I am disappointed in how difficult it is to see the AF points in my 5D3 compared to my 1D4. Your thoughts?

Yeah that sucks. The D800 is hard to see as well if you have AF point illumination off. It's much better if you turn it on. I like having it off because it grays out the VF when using crop modes instead of just using crop frame lines. Oh well. I guess you can't have everything.

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

warbandit
• •
p.1 #7 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

Thanks for sharing your review!

What a dream camera... based on your samples VERY useable at high ISOs. Didn't realize it would be so freakin heavy!

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:40 AM
leongty

p.1 #8 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

wfr2 : now that you have mentioned it... the AF points do seem a little bit dimmer than the 1D4; a little annoying but not that much of an issue IMHO.

Thanks for all your replies guys! If there is anything else you would like to know about the 1Dx, do let me know and I will see if I can check it out for you.

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:52 PM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #9 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

I received mine on the weekend. With the playing I've done it is proving to be very good. Shooting my first event with it this weekend, I'll check back with after thoughts.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

Ok so with one event under its belt here are my first impressions:

The focus system is much better than the 1DS mkII I've been using the last couple of years and I thought that it was pretty good to start with. The AF selection and use within crowds during the reception was spectacular. It was able to give very precise selection.

High ISO performance is really good and clean up to 25K and after that usable but up to taste as to whether you would want to or not.

The addition of the two custom front buttons that can be programmed to activate AI Servo is awesomeness. SImply press it and your in servo until you release. Really great for moments that just happen. Probably the most useful difference between the 5d3 for what we do.

Jul 21, 2012 at 09:31 PM
WalnutPond
• • •
p.1 #11 · Canon EOS-1Dx Impressions

How does the latter differ from rear focus button? You mean having one programmed for one shot and the other for servo? That could definitely be useful if I could get my mind to remember which was which...

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:13 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password